How to get involved in making KotB

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Shiningted, Jun 21, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

So you want to help with Keep on the Borderlands, and all the glory, fame and satisfaction that comes with it? Here's how:

First, download the starter pack here: ----> [link removed - starter pack no longer available]

Install it as a module in ToEEFE. Run it. Run around on it. Admire the work of the great modders u will be joining ;)

Then ask urself, "what do I want to do?"

You might feel impelled to add some characters, or some plots. You might want a drunk to wander through the bar, or stage a robbery in the bank, or recreate something from a pnp adventure of KotB from many years back, or just provide some in depth dialogue for a character or two so they have something more interest to say than "hi my name is Bob, wanna do a quest for me?" Or, you might have no interest in the characters, but might want to get the fireplaces showing fires, or the sounds of the footsteps to correspond with the different sorts of ground, or make it look like the players are running behind the buildings where appropriate (all things that can be done very easily with Agetians ToEEWB tool and other tools). You might want to add some artwork or modify the monsters. Or you might want to compose some music!

Whatever you decide you want to do, email me at

admin@keepontheborderlands.org

we can discuss what you want to do, and i will send you the latest updates (the mod has come a LONG way since that first starter pack!) Otherwise, the current state of the mod will be kept for the modders themselves, for the obvious reasons of not spoiling it for those waiting to play.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2007
  2. Shiningted

Open Invitation

Just another call for help here: things are progressing nicely but a few more hands would certainly help.

Also, I have sent out the invites for the private forum to all who were interested, so if I missed anyone who has previously expressed interest, please say so now: i do need reminding of things as anyone here who has dealt with me knows. I am certainly not trying to keep anyone out, so poke me as necessary :poke:

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Re: Open Invitation

I have the original pnp module and I can do some .dlg/protos work. I don't know if i'd be much help, but i'm available.

4. Shiningted

Thanks WizGeorge :)

5. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I can work with dialogs and such as I am having troubles doing mobs if someone can send me a scan of the module... I am going to do a complete uninstal/install as I might have screwed something up in the process..

6. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

I also have the original module and might be able to help, but I am totally new to modding and still learning how to change protos and such without totally crashing the game.

7. rihaan44256

rihaan44256 Member

i'm not a "mod" person, havn't even tried looking for software or tutorial stuff to learn from (any good suggestions?), but i am an "old school" DM (been behind the screen for 30 odd years), and i do own both the original module and the 25 year remake (with wonderful maps).

i don't know what i can do to help, but if you need anything that i can provide (ideas, editing, scans of original product, etc), you have but to ask.

thanks...

...the rich

8. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Ok, Since I need to learn how to make a Samurai helmet I might as well get to it. What kind of gear is still lacking in KOTB? If I succeed in making a helmet I might as well make some other stuff.

This of course presupposes that I will be able to learn in the first place.

9. Shiningted

After assembling a Hoplite with some of Cujo's gear and some pre-existing stuff, I gotta admit, I am looking forward to playing a samurai :D Hey, I may even start shopping with Ah Fong! That'd be a novelty.

As much as I appreciate the offer, there is nothing much needs doing in KotB atm, because on the design front Cuchulainn has kept us 2 steps ahead of what is needed. But check your PMs and we can discuss this further. ;)

10. daadamo

daadamo Artist/Illustrator

Do you need an artist? I have done with Microsoft and Humungous Entertainment...the Keep On The Borderlands holds a significant amount of personal sentiment to me. I can do character Illustrations, 2-D textures, and load screens along with any concept artwork. Or anything you might need help with. Please let me know.

11. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

*sniffs haughtily*

I would get involved, if I wasn't far too amazing to...

Ah forget it. I'm useless.:cry:

12. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

hey now if i can figure this stuff out anyone can lol :)

13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@ daadamo: Did you draw your avatar? I'm pretty sure any orc portraits will be welcomed in this module :)

14. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

That avatar is pretty intense--the lighting, and the physical sense of the dude. Striking.

15. daadamo

daadamo Artist/Illustrator

Our Host!