Formalizing the Shopmap

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Apr 30, 2008.

Remove all ads!
?

I think that the starting shopmap caravan should:

1. Be changed from an NPC encounter to a formal instruction format.

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Be left as is.

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. I have some other idea, which I'll post below.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Be changed so that the more powerful gear is not availalble.

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  5. Be left as is.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. I have some other idea, which I'll post below.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've been thinking of making some changes to the ToEE shopmap lately, and I wanted to get some community input. First, let me make my case:

I think that the shopmap isn't really an RP environment. It's seems to be moreso another step of pre-game character generation. For example, we never really explain how the party came across the caravan, or never give any RP background on what the caravan is doing there, etc., etc. It's just there, which makes it obvious to me that the 'encounter' is just a function to provide a barter screen for buying custom gear.

In light of that, I think it would be better if we did away with the charade of NPC interaction and instead just fashioned the dialogue to serve as another step (the final one) of the character building process. This could be achieved by changing the dilaogue from the "Well hello there and welcome to the caravan!" variety to a more formal thing wherein Jade Empress talks to you the same way the game talks to you in the earlier stages of character development, e.g., "You may select your starting equipment from the three vendors you see here."

Tangentially, I also think that the proposed modding of this would be a good opportunity to pare down what the vendors offer - eliminate the guillotine blade and other 'offensive' items, and maybe generally limit what's available at that stage. I understand that the idea of the shopmap in the first place was to allow for player freedom, but I don't think that it was ever really appropriate for level 0 players to be walking around in plate mail. That may in fact contribute to our balance issues to some degree.

So, please vote in the poll on both topics and feel free to post any other input you may have. Please vote once for options 1 -3 and once for options 4 - 6. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

I like the idea of the caravan as it is for the facts that I can still steal some money and buy more stuff than with my usual starting money( cheecky, I know...) and, mostly, because I can decide my starting spells for the starting mission encounters(for what it worth)
    On the other hand, I agree that the powerful items should not be available. I don't mind to change from axe to sword or shortsword to scimitar but guillotine blade or dwarf plate... no no no:no:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I don't mind the format of the shopmap the way it is. In fact, if you want to take away the character interaction in it, my take would be to simply do away with it altogether - simply include a wider variety of equipment at Brother Smyth's shop in Hommlet and restore the original starting equipment.

I do agree with paring down the high-end equipment available at the shop, though. I never have seen the logic to showing adamantium breastplates and dragon hide armor that no one can ever afford to buy. This would also be a good oportunity to weed out the non-RAW weapons that have filtered into the game. I would like to advise caution, though - the medium level goods like chain shirts and composite bows should probably stay, as many people (like me) will often gimp some of their characters to splurge on this type of equipment that is otherwise not available for a while.

4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Sorry, i've voted the second option (be left as it is) but i've missed when clicking on the fourth (powerful gear go away) and now i can't fix that. :blush:

Anyways...

First of all, isn't the shopmap made by Allyx? he should say his opionion i think.

In any case, IMHO as a DM, i don't see it as a "non RP experience", i've started lots of campaign and adventures in the middle of a battle or a marketplace, and players never complaint. And i love Jade empress voice :heart: (but i hate Ted, Ed and Ed, grrr).

Also, Zalmoxes has a good point, since you can set your spells there ( i usually forgot to do it normally, and i got in troubles at some later point), and plus, many players can test the radial options there without having to do the annoying tutorial.

I do believe too (as you may know) that i'm in favour of taking a good bunch of powerful gear. Elves WON'T sell openly a breastplate (just a suit of chainmail it's forged every a hundred years), and not to mention Dwarven adamantine armors! That's really non RPGing. :no:
    As Erkper said also, there'sa no point in showing equipment that you wouldn't be able to buy.

Overall, i think the caravan should serve only for customization (many robes for example, maybe exotic ones, so Jinerth could sell the normal versions and the like), and changing the starting equipment, so it could be the basic low leveled (normal weapons, maybe the oriental versions in case someone wants to do a samurai, etc), counting bows (not composites tho, since they are as rare as repeating crossbows) and light and the cheaper ones including the heavy worsts.
    Later you could buy stuff at Ah-Fong, or Otis, or complete the quests for better equipment.
    It wouldn't be out of mind to create one or two new traders, with really rare stuff, maybe a evil merchant in the Temple, or a Gnome in a small map (damn, it would be really cool to have RAW smokepowder items :icon_chuc ), creating a new Npc isn't that hard. Or rearrange better the ones already in the game (I never buy anything at Y'dey shop, for example):)

Alternatively, you could scrap it from the start, and have it available as a particular map, available at the early game, more or less at the middle of the fedexing quests...

5. Gaear

Just a heads up: based on the poll results (thank you all for voting btw), I'll be releasing an updated shop map soon with the powerful/exotic items removed and some other enhancements. The same dialogue based interaction will remain, though some of that may be modified as well to reduce irritation and make it more workmanlike.

I'll proabaly add a few more instances of common items like chainmail and boots and gloves, because it's a pain in the ass not to be able to outfit your entire crew with regular gear while in the meantime there's 1,000,000 GP stuff avaialable that you can't afford.

I think the overall approach will be to more accurately depict what it actually is - a traveling caravan of merchants - since people seem to favor that idea. So they should have a good variety of everyday stuff, very little exotic stuff, and almost no super powered stuff - e.g., no masterwork items, no plus items of any kind, no magic wands, no darkwood bucklers, etc., etc. If a real traveling caravan were to stock that kind of merchandise they'd have to take along a dozen bodyguard type retainers just to protect it all or local bandits and hooligans would surely rob them of it straightaway.

Look for it soon in a CMF thread near you, followed by other improvements which are in development. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  6. Half Knight

That's pure rpging thinking :clap:

It would be a really evil move to make the -later- attacked caravan appear as the this one, the dying woman being the Jade Empress...that'll teach players to be merciful with gnolls! :evil_laug

7. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

Sorry I didn't participate in the poll, even though I've followed the thread.

I think you guys have the right idea, the shopmap should only serve to allow you to buy rare, but useless customization accessories and normal equipment.

Although as someone who frequently uses more exotic weapons as a change of pace (ie: Guillotine blade), this does sting a little. :)

8. Gaear

Update: I'm well on the way to completing the shopmap overhaul, but I need some help. I've got a pretty good handle on the armor and clothing that should be included in the traders' inventory, but I don't really know enough about weapon stats to intelligently determine what's appropriate. I can safely conclude that longswords should be included, for example, but Im not entirely sure about that great double axe or the kamasutra or whatever. ;) (Weapons aren't my bag. :yawn: )

Can an informed modder with some experience volunteer to go through all the weapons in description.mes and determine what's good to go and what's not? The guidelines are pretty simple: no magic weapons, no masterwork weapons, and no regular weapons that can deal an inordinate amount of damage for a 0 level PC. Also no custom weapons that are outside the bounds of normal D&D.

I would really appreciate the help. :)

[edit]

Here's a few tidbits while we wait:

• The shopmap will feature armor up to and including breastplates (AC +5), as well as the custom Co8 stuff within that limitation (chainmail variations, some maggit armor, naked marauder armor, etc.)
    • The shopmap will now include a wide (hopefully complete) variety of all the Co8 custom clothing done by the maggit, Cujo, and HK types - different colored cloaks and robes, boots, wizard hats, etc., etc., etc. Good stuff for customizing your look. :thumbsup:
    • Jade Empress will now comment about your OV quest in a minor way, and she won't bitch at you for waking her up at night. She also won't stop killing you anymore if you're foolish enough to attack the caravan. And she's more business-oriented - more 'yes/no' stuff to get you in and out faster instead of 'my but you look like you might be an adventurer' chit-chat. I think you'll like it.
    • I might as well reveal this now (though I know HK will hate me): Jade Empress' voiceover will be gone. I have grown to hate it, personally, and I strongly suspect that a lot of the negative reaction we get to our custom voices is as a result of players hearing this set right at the start. Even Zorn (the 'director' of the voices project) disliked it, and his wife is the person who did it. Plus, it will simply not fit the modified dialogue anymore anyway. I'll be happy to send the files to you if you still desperately want them, HK.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  9. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I'm not an expert myself but I guess every simple, martial and exotic weapon type
    should be available. The orc double axe is 'not finished' because it doesn't work like
    a double weapon. Ted said that it can be scripted somehow though. If I remember
    correctly those Zwei-Handers are large great swords which deal 3d6. They are correct
    rule-wise but should be left out IMO (well they aren't available on the original shop map).

Hmmm... Ever noticed that there is no trader selling various stuff like potions? The clothing
    guy sells kits but wouldn't traders sell any consumable materials too (potions/scrolls)?

BTW: Our master smith is here. Al should probably be the one talking here for me. I mean
    he created the shop map (or did I confuse something?).

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I did make the shopmap, and I have no problem with removing items that are too expensive for starting characters, and those that are quasi-magical items like darkwood shields and adamantine whatever, those items would be rare even in the biggest cities, let alone a traveling caravan. I also like the current intro to the shopmap with Jade empress explaining about the merchants, and suggesting you should rest to learn spells, EVE has a very formal tutorial system, which seems a lot more inhuman (granted it is supposed to be an on board computer providing the tutorial's information, but still) whereas Jade Empress seems more fitting to this situation than a straight "Here's the facts, get on with it" approach.

As far as the weapons that should be included, I feel that all normal, non-masterwork, non-magical weapons should be included, as well as all the exotic and oriental weapons, since Monks start off with proficiency with a lot of them, they should have access to them early on. Also all weapons you can take feats in (weapon focus, weapon specialization, weapon finesse, improved critical etc...) should be represented as some people (like myself) turn off the option to start with these weapons if you select the feat associated with it.

Apart from all that, you can do whatever, and have fun with it. :)

11. Gaear

That's going to change too. Jade Empress will now peddle the off-items like crowns and thieves tools and bard instruments herself. I figured I'd add some potions of cure light wounds too (every party should start with some, or have the opportunity to), but I don't want to get carried away with a bunch of other stuff. Let them go see Burne and Calmert later. ;)

12. Gaear

Another request ...

We could use some custom inventory icons for some of our custom gear that currently just hijacks existing inventory icons. And other considerations. Any takers? Maggit?

We need custom inventory icons for:

• plain chainmail (could probably use the original chainmail icon for this, and make a model with red in the center for the original chainmail mesh that is red in-game)
    • fine chainmail (can't remember what it looks like in-game atm. uses same old chainmail icon)
    • golden chainmail (fancy looking stuff with what looks like leather trim. uses same old chainmail icon)
    • three variations of existing leather armor (could use the torso inventory model to make two more. there are supposed to be black, reddish, and grey models.)
    • black studded leather (looks like black banded mail in-game. uses the original studded leather icon. maybe we should just make this 'black banded mail?')
    • original hide armor (uses same icon as druid hide, or vice-versa)
    • Cujo's scale mail variation (uses original icon. could use a midriff-baring version to depict in-game model. this is the armor that all sensible scale mail wearing babes use when they're feeling sexy)
    [edit]

More for clothing ...

• black dress (currently uses the robe icon)
    • corset (currently uses the robe icon)
    • oriental garb (fancy stuff with a flowing white skirt that currently uses the green elven chain icon)
    Last ... items

• hoodless circlet (currently uses the nice circlet icon. maybe something utterly blank to show that it kills the hood?)

13. Half Knight

• fine chainmail (can't remember what it looks like in-game atm. uses same old chainmail icon)
    • golden chainmail (fancy looking stuff with what looks like leather trim. uses same old chainmail icon)
      -----Both use the same mesh (one gold, the other grey), with studded leather trim . A single icon, recolored would make sense.
    • three variations of existing leather armor (could use the torso inventory model to make two more. there are supposed to be black, reddish, and grey models.)
      -----Indeed, they're slightly different, but use the same icon. In fact, it would be a good idea to strengthen the colours of the models, as well as making new icons.
    • original hide armor (uses same icon as druid hide, or vice-versa)
      -----Both use the same model and icon. This one it's mine, i have the model on the works.
    • black dress (currently uses the robe icon)
      -----The noble suits use the same icons than robes, it is a blackened icon. If you're interested, i have an alternative model somewhere that can be added along with this one.
    • oriental garb (fancy stuff with a flowing white skirt that currently uses the green elven chain icon)
      -----Last time i've checked, it looked like a green elven armor, no skirt. Was it fixed?
    • hoodless circlet (currently uses the nice circlet icon. maybe something utterly blank to show that it kills the hood?)
      -----Hummm...and what would you drag? I suggest the same icon as the equipping slot, but in red or b&w, so you'll know that you don't have that slot available. Not much of an item, tho :errf:

14. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Say what?

Say what?

Say what?

Cue breakdancing emoticon, Chicken Little wavin' his wings in air, like he just don't care...

Not to degrade the effort of this fine group, but damn, that b**** had to go.

And, related to the thread on railroading dialog, the only thing that's worse than an NPC making you digest paragraphs of background at a time is when those paragraphs have annoying voiceovers.

Make no mistake, I like the caravan much better than the generic intro shop. And I don't mean to dis the voice actress - the voice isn't bad, it just didn't work for me. ANd by "didn't work", I mean it as too slow and repetitive. She's about to send us out on alignment-dependent adventures, but she herself seems to have no care *which* alignments we have. Maybe if some of dialog was alignment-specific, it would have been better -- maybe warnings about extremism in any form:

LG/LN (clerics/paladins) -- "remember, Hommlett suffers the worship of many faiths -- make sure not to place the values of your faith over the laws of their community"

NE/CE -- "remember, you may be stronger than many of Homlett's citizens individually, but in numbers, their strength may often overshadow yours"

Just an FYI.

--thearioch

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Why do all the interesting discussions happen while I'm asleep?
    Ted doesn't remember this, but if he did say that, it was probably based on the fact 0rion claimed to have some sort of workaround going. Ted recants and seeks absolution.
    They are most certainly not correct rules-wise and most definitely should be left off the shop-map: ditto the Spear of Keoland.

On a tangential topic, Gaear, can you set the Drow armour to be masterwork? I had a request for this from someone who consoles it in for its looks. I think thats fair enough - if we make stuff, people will use it (though that shouldn't be sold at the start either, of course).

Also, good initiative Gaear. Don't be surprised if the KotB shop-map ends up looking remarkably similar ;)

Regarding Jade Empress, perhaps the Co8 patch could come in Jade-Empress-voiced and non-Jade-Empress-voiced versions? Seperate downloads in the Downloads section? And where IS the Downloads section? Could we please have a seperate Downloads section, with some stickied downloads in it? :icon_chuc

Our Host!