Formalizing the Shopmap

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Apr 30, 2008.

Remove all ads!
?

I think that the starting shopmap caravan should:

1. Be changed from an NPC encounter to a formal instruction format.

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Be left as is.

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. I have some other idea, which I'll post below.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Be changed so that the more powerful gear is not availalble.

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  5. Be left as is.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. I have some other idea, which I'll post below.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sounds good.

We could do that, but I'd be satisfied with only different colored icons for each.

Cool. :thumbsup:

Send it.

I had never seen it before, but it's definitely got the white skirt now.

I guess that could be a problem ... maybe something that just looks even simpler than the simple circlet then? I'm going to make these a dime a dozen. They're currently sold for 500 gold or so for some strange reason.

I figured this decision would pay off almost immediately. ;)

Certainly. I take it it's feasable that the standard drow gear would be masterwork?

It would actually be very nice to tie the two games together in small ways like this. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  2. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Re: Formalizing the Shopmaphttp

Like there wasn't any time your rogue wanted to go to the weapon smith and say "Can I buy 10,000 marbles, please?" :D

Everyone who watched Chasing Amy, you *know* you liked the "What's a Nubian?" scene.

--thearioch

3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Like I said, the Zwei-Handers were large greatswords. But they shouldn't be there anyway.

d20srd:
    Code:
    Example Weapon Fine  	Dimin.  Tiny  	Small  	Medium  Large  	Huge Gargantuan  Colossal
    Greatsword 	1d4 	1d6 	1d8 	1d10 	2d6 	[COLOR="Red"]3d6[/COLOR] 	4d6 	6d6 	8d6

4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

There are rules for huge weapons.
    A large weapon increase the dice damage in one category (i.e. 1d4-->1d6-->1d8-->1d10...). A huge greatsword would do 2d8 dice damage, and you need a special feat (weapon proficiency: large weapons, or something like that), or suffer a -4 penalty. A later version of this where the "heavy" weapons (increased damage due to extra weight, worked the same way).
    There's also a special, non magical sword, that works the same way, but theres no need of feat, cos it's the only vailable weapon of that size (normally called "ogre's sword).
    If the damage it's fixed, it would be fair that the traders have one (non masterwork).

Btw, i've never seen a guillotine blade in the books. but there are broadswords, which are exactly as a longsword, except they do 2d4 damage instead 1d8 (they're fairly better, and used commonly by orders of knights or the like)

One, please :)

EDIT: a ninja dwarf!

That table it's for enlarged weapons...where did you get it? A greatsword isn't considered already large? Thus it will be huge...
    damn, i'm going to read again the friggin books

5. maggit

Well, this is confusing but the table shows weapon size and damage
    for the intended user. For example, a frost giant's axe (which is much
    bigger)would do much more damage than a normal axe, wouldn't it?
    It's not the same as the size of an object (small weapon like dagger
    vs. medium like a longsword, after all they are all medium size weapons,
    because they are intended for medium size characters).
    It's in the d20srd, just go down a little bit and it'll be there.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm

6. Gaear

Okay, since we have no takers on my plea for numbers assistance, how about I just list the stuff I had planned to go in here, and you guys can tell me if any of it is inappropriate for the 'overpowered regular weapon' reason:

Code:
    longsword                 spiked chain               falchion
    bastard sword             light hammer               main gauche
    greatsword                warhammer                  heavy pick
    shortsword                greathammer                scythe
    rapier                    light mace                 dagger
    tiny rapier               heavy mace                 throwing dagger
    scimitar                  flail                      dart
    gladius                   heavy flail                shortspear
    cutlass                   club                       spear
    barbarian sword           greatclub                  javelin
    battleaxe                 maul                       long bow
    greataxe                  quarterstaff               shortbow
    double greataxe           glaive                     sling
    single axe                longspear                  heavy crossbow
    single greataxe           ranseur                    light crossbow
    handaxe                   kama                       quarrel of bolts
    large axe                 katana                     quiver of arrows
    dwarven waraxe            tanto                      pouch of bullets
    morningstar               wakizashi

Some of these items will be there in multiples btw, for groups who like to outfit their entire party with the standard gear (longswords, long bows, daggers, light crossbows, ammo ...)

7. Half Knight

:blush:
    Sorry, but you know i'm quite busy atm...

My only objection it's the katana; isn't a normal weapon, and also it's masterwork... but i guess it should be fair to have them there.

8. Gaear

If it's masterwork I'll leave it out. Thanks. btw, aren't all masterwork weapon variations called 'Masterwork [whatever]'?

Anyways, no other objections to any of this stuff? No suggestions for stuff that's not there? Speak now - I don't want to hear about it after this thing gets released.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah the katana jumped out at me, which begs the question, shouldn't we have a non-masterwork version? I mean I understand they are all meant to be masterwork, but any Japanese weapon should be, on account of the fact they only made quality weapons due to the shortage of iron in that country. Shouldn't every wakizashi be masterwork? Are you going to commit suicide with a non-masterwork tanto? Sorry to labour the point but I think we should have masterwork and non-masterwork versions of the katana, otherwise we are saying to players "you get a bastard sword to start until we tell you you can have a katana, and you'll like it!"

Also, the stock standard repeating crossbow should be there, as an exotic weapon, for anyone who takes the feat but, like Allyx, doesn't get one by default.

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

How about non-masterwork versions of the racial weapons: Dwarven Waraxe, Gnome Hooked Hammer, Orc 2-ended Axe, etc.

11. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

My on-topic reply: I really like the track you guys are on for the shop map -- offer several variations of all standard weapon types so new parties can customize their characters appropriately and how they wish. I hope the same consideration is given towards clothing; the fur cloak, oriental garb, kilt, different colored hats and cloaks, are all very cool and it would be nice to be able to adorn your characters in them from the start, particularly since they make no game play difference. :)

Also, pretty much with Ted on the Katana. While I realize there shouldn't be such a thing as a non-masterwork Katana, it makes complete game-play sense to offer one at the beginning for those parties who wish to equip one but can't yet afford masterwork prices.

My off-topic reply: Do any of the double weapons (double-orc axe, gnome hooked hammer, etc) actually work as they're intended by RAW, i.e., can be used with two-weapon fighting? I realize this is something that's probably hard-coded, and I can't believe I haven't asked/checked before now, but better late then never. :D

Edit: Back to the clothing for a second -- I'm really big on customizing my characters' appearance; it'd be really cool to see stuff like HK's alternate brown robe offered as buyable separate choices -- more variation is awesome. :D

-Grey

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  12. Half Knight

Wazzat?

an axe that can be wielded by two orcs at once? :p

Oh, be sure, there will be more than enough :)

In fact, i hope we're not out of protos slots ;) :p

13. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

lol! It would definitely be cool to see two orcs wielding the same axe. I think I meant the orc double-axe. I hope I did. :confused:

Awesome! :D

14. Gaear

I guess my take on this is being as there's no Japan in Greyhawk, there's no reason not to have a regular version. ;) Unless the rules state specifically that there are only masterwork versions. What's the situation there?

As for the other stuff you guys are suggesting, remember our main inquiry here: does it comply with the stated restrictions? Rules compliant, non-magical, non-masterwork, non-overpowered for low level parties. That's it. If there's any confusion on the last point, it can be demonstrated easily with an armor example: there will be no tower shields in the shopmap, because while they're rules compliant, giving a 0 level PC a +4 armor bonus from a shield is overpowering.

Lastly, if you guys want certain stuff that's not in the list (and that also complies with the restrictions), you'd better list it specifically. Requests like "all weapons with x proficieny" or "all weapons that would be appropriate" don't help me at all, as I don't know what those might be.

15. maggit

I think they do... but since there are rusty long swords why shouldn't there be rusty katanas?

-Some more thoughts on the shop map.
    • It may be a good idea to provide more than one piece of a single weapon/armour/clothing, some characters may be using the same weapons, can't they?
    • I'm not so sure about restricting the choice of armour, if you get a set amount of gold then you either buy one super-duper armour and make the whole party run around naked... or save money for the whole party. Note: the game is pretty difficult at the beginning, then it gets as easy as pie.

Base weapon list
    • Spiked Gauntlet
    • Dagger
    • Sickle
    • Club
    • Light Mace
    • Short Spear
    • Morning Star
    • Heavy Mace
    • Quarterstaff
    • Light Crossbow
    • Spear
    • Dart
    • Sling
    • Heavy Crossbow
    • Morningstar
    • Javelin
    • Light Hammer
    • Great Axe
    • Hand Axe
    • Short Sword
    • Battle Axe
    • Light Flail
    • Longsword
    • Heavy Pick
    • Rapier
    • Scimitar
    • Trident
    • Warhammer
    • Falchion
    • Heavy Flail
    • Glaive
    • Great Club
    • Great Sword
    • Guisarme
    • Halberd
    • Ranseur
    • Scythe
    • Short Bow
    • Long Bow
    • Kukri
    • Dwarven Waraxe
    • Gnome Hooked Hammer
    • Orc Double Axe (unless you de-activate the feat and change Krunch's Unholy Orc Double Axe)
    • Spiked Chain
    • Hand Crossbow
    • Shuriken
    • Repeating Crossbow

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
Our Host!