Formalizing the Shopmap

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Apr 30, 2008.

Remove all ads!
?

I think that the starting shopmap caravan should:

1. Be changed from an NPC encounter to a formal instruction format.

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Be left as is.

11 vote(s)
    31.4%
  3. I have some other idea, which I'll post below.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Be changed so that the more powerful gear is not availalble.

20 vote(s)
    57.1%
  5. Be left as is.

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. I have some other idea, which I'll post below.

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Maggit's list is more along what I was thinking. You can easily create a character to explore using a given kind of weapon early in the game instead of being "forced" to use the up-powered version later in game to try that type of weapon out. You wouldn't know if the weapon's advantages are due to its powers, or the basic characteristics.

On the other hand, maybe some weapons should be made reliably available later than start if they are too powerful for 1st's.

On the other, other hand, the holy longsword, great cleaver, +1 dagger and shortsword, etc. are available to 1st's.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Maggit rocks! :joy: Thanks.

Well, I plan on there not being any rusty weapons for sale on the shopmap at all. Frankly, I always thought that looked kind of foolish: why would a legitimate merchant peddle that junk? It seems more like stuff you'd collect from some RE with poorly equipped monsters.

Indeed, I plan on there being at least two of everything. And as many as eight of some of the most common things - longswords, long bows, etc. - that players may want to equip an entire 'theme' party with. We have to juggle two concepts with the shopmap: the appearance of a real merchant caravan, and functionality for player customization.

The idea as I see it though is that there simply shouldn't be low level PCs running around in typically higher level gear, whether the other PCs are naked or not. To do so disrupts game balance and progression balance. There's a reason why Troika didn't do that (and most other CRPGs don't), and I think our deviating from that course was a mistake that contributed to our current woes, both perceptually and practically. If you could start the game with Scather, that would have an undeniable effect on gameplay, and it seems no different to me for lesser but still overpowered items. Saying 'here's eveything you could ever want in the game' right from the get-go is like cutting your own throat in a way. You eliminate the thrill of level progression and the concept of PC 'achievements' - advance in level, get better gear, kick more ass. :shrug:

3. Gaear

Update: Inventory Icons needed

For clothing:

• a proper icon for Cujo's pointed green hat (currently uses wizard hat icon)
    • an icon that more closely matches the bright blue of the blue cape
    • a proper icon for Cujo's black and yellow long coat (currently uses the grey robe icon. there already is an icon for the red and yellow version btw)
    • an icon that matches the new and improved blue of HK's blue mystic garb
    • a proper icon for the black dress (currently uses the black robe icon)
    • a proper icon for the corset (currently uses the black robe icon)
    • a proper icon for the oriental garb (currently uses the green elven chain icon)
    For armor:

• a proper icon for red chainmail (we'll make the original the icon for our custom plain chainmail, since it's plain)
    • a proper icon for fine chainmail (currently uses same old chainmail icon)
    • a proper icon for golden chainmail (currently uses same old chainmail icon)
    • proper icons for two additional variations of brigand leather armor (after a close look I've found that the brigand variations are basically black, grey, and tan. we'll use the existing icon for tan, because it looks tan, so we need new ones for black and grey)
    • proper icon for what is now black banded mail (had been black studded leather but looked just like banded mail. currently uses regular banded mail icon)
    • proper icon for druid hide (currently uses same icon as hide armor)
    • proper icon for Cujo's scale mail variation (now called 'fine scale mail.' currently uses the regular scale mail icon. this is the armor that all sensible scale mail wearing babes use when they're feeling sexy - midriff baring)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

If the ttraders are normal ones, then no katanas. They're a rare weapon, even in oriental settings (what's more, in oriental settings only the samurai class is allowed to have one for starters.), much more rare in a normal setting. Same for double weapons and repeating crossbows and composed bows.
    If anyone buys the feats for those, then he could wait t'ill Bro Smith sells masterwork/rare weapons. It's not that the only chance of buying equipment it's a the caravan, jeez. having a masterwork weapon like a katana should be a reward.

Armors have two different types, basides the light/medium/heavy. The rarest of light armors it's the chainshirt, it's more expensive, and grant better bonuses. Same for breastplate for medium, and fullplate for heavy. Those kind of armors are expensive for the crafter too, so they're not that common (in ToEE, the common armor is leather, and that's right). A chainshirt could be fairly available, since even kobolds have, but breastplates and fullplates must be made for the buyer specifically. A normal fullplate looted by a fighter, could be worn, but it would feel a bit uncomfortable (there's no penalties tho) for example.
    Didn't i made the icon? woot, sorry. Scrap that one, i'll post it with the new bunch of stuff :)

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

My understanding is composite bows do not require a special feat though they did in 3.0 (and the game recognises this) so I agree they should only come in later (or I agree if other people say so - I have on various occasions bought my ranger a composite bow and a rusty bastard sword at the start, but it seems I won't have that option any more ;))

But I disagree on the 'double' weapons (which I take to mean the dwarven axe and the gnome hammer) and the repeating crossbow. Sure, they are rare, but the whole point of the caravan is to sidestep that bit of reality: people who only want to buy whats available in Hommlet can just start there. If a person burns a feat for those weapons and starts at the caravan, they should be able to get one.

6. Gaear

I think I have to agree with Ted there to some extent - the point of the caravan from the get-go has been to allow for customization, not to dramatically portray what a real merchant caravan would be like. That's why I wanted to do away with the RP aspect.

But we still have the problem of providing PCs with overpowered weapons at the start though, so it's prudent to limit those regardless of how the caravan is being portrayed. This means the criteria have to be as stated above.

That said, I'm inclined to give a nod to RP when possible, so the rusty stuff and hyper-exotic stuff can sit this one out.

7. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

But how are such characters going to get a gnome hooked hammer
    for example? The nearest opportunity to buy one would be Ah Fong's
    shop. Even Brother Smyth shouldn't have such stuff. Oh, and while we
    are talking about Ah Fong, could you add the exotic armour to his inventory?
    I'm talking about my samurai stuff (along with the helmets/gloves/boots),
    the druid stuff, etc. Maybe the guy who makes wooden shields in Hommelet*
    could sell the wooden armour or bark (these are not overpowered).

*I can never get the spelling right.

8. Gaear

They'll get their gnome hooked hammer at the shopmap. Won't they won't get there is their katanas, Hatori Hanzo Steel, and ninja tattoos.

9. Half Knight

Hummm...actually, i must agree with Ted, indeed, about double weapons.

In pnp, they're not easily available, cos they're slightly more powerful than normal ones (hence the special feat).
    But, since all the double and exotic (with a few exceptions) doesn't grant any extra abilities, or have the original characteristics, i suppose they're not better than a normal weapon, and could be sold there. :shrug:

Is this posible?
    I really like all that stuff, but i didn't knew where to buy it (i just console stuff).
    Maybe Jaroo could sell the nature armors stuff (wooden, shell, and Ivy armors) after the quest for Amii it's completed, as a reward. I rarely go see it again, after that it's done.

Hum, just to be annoying...can we have a guy that sells only rusty stuff? Like KotB Thorp's merchant.

[You see a young man, throwing a bunch of swords, axes and other stuff inside a crate:]
    "-what do you do here?"
    "-well, sir, i'm in charge of cleaning. Right now, i was going to dispose of all this trash-"
    "-Trash?? Damn, i could buy some of those!-"
    "-Really? but this it's pure sh...err, of course sir, feel free to browse!...-" [smiles, and nervously look over the shoulder at the merchants] "-...could you hurry a bit, sir? I'm er, a busy man-"

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

As long as 0rion's mistake of using Jaroo's loot chest as the inventory chest forhis shop I don't have a problem with this idea.

<Allyx shudders at the thought of 0rions "complete fixes">

11. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Here's an extra copper for your troubles. What did you say your name was anyway, kid?

Bill. Bill Gates. And thanks for shopping CP/M.

--thearioch

12. Half Knight

LOL :aaaa:

Dammit, that charcter deserves to be there, now

13. Gaear

FYI, I grouped all the needed icons listings into post #33 for convenience. (The red type there btw is to indicate what's done and not done, not to indicate "Hurry up!" ;))

I tried to do a couple of the simpler of these myself incidentally, but the graphics program I use can't handle the transparency aspect, so I'm SOL on that end.

14. Half Knight

• a proper icon for Cujo's pointed green hat (currently uses wizard hat icon)
      DONE
    • an icon that more closely matches the bright blue of the blue cape
      DONE
    • an icon that matches the new and improved blue of HK's blue mystic garb
      DONE
    • proper icon for druid hide (currently uses same icon as hide armor)
      NOT DONE, but i'm doing a new suit of drudic armor, so i'll make the icon

Soon to be posted, maybe an hour or so. Witha bunch of new stuff. A good bunch. A good big bunch. :)

15. Half Knight

[*]a proper icon for Cujo's black and yellow long coat (currently uses the grey robe icon. there already is an icon for the red and yellow version btw)
    There's already an icon for that.

[*]a proper icon for fine chainmail (currently uses same old chainmail icon)
    DONE

[*]a proper icon for golden chainmail (currently uses same old chainmail icon)
    DONE

Our Host!