What should the 7th effect of prismatic spray do?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by darmagon, Oct 5, 2005.

Remove all ads!
?

What should the 7th effect of prismatic spray do?

1. Kill and Destroy body

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Just kill

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Knock Unconscious for a time

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Disintegrate (kill and destroy body, leave possessions)

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Turn to Gaseous Form

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Do Some Kind of Damage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Do nothing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Something else

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

Okay, I have been working on some new high level spells one of which is the 7th level Sor/Wiz spell Prismatic Spray. It can have a variety of effects, determined randomly one of which is sending the target to another plane. In ToEE as it is now this is a pretty useless thing to do so I need some input on what the effect should be.

Everything else about the spell is complete and more or less satisfactory (to me anyway). All the other effects are implemented. I have the eye candy (spell particle system) and I've even created a fairly cool, if simple sound effect for the spell.

So what do you think/

Darmagon

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

kill and destroy body - thats closest to sending to another plane.

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Something else....and something that fits this game. Teleport them to a random Node. At least there'd be a fighting chance to live...and survival would depend on their abilities & skills.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

So we know where we stand:

Dunno about 'insanity', but we really should make more use of petrification (such as it is) and sending an enemy off to a random node, where you may just run into them later (and them angry at that! :yes: ) sounds fun. So can't we have all of them? Or was that the idea?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I was picturing an NPC using it on you and thinking how can one party member get teleported out of the party? I never thought that you would be using it on an NPC :sweatdrop

6. Lord_Spike

For insanity, you could sustitute confusion curable only by heal. That way, they wander about, or flee, or attack party, attack enemies, etc.

7. darmagon

Lord_Spike
    I already have it implemented that way although they are only confused in combat.

Cujo
    I had the same picture because most of my testing of the spell has been on my own party:) Although either way I am not sure how I would go about sending somethiing to a node. And, once having sent it there, how to make it persistant. I haven't done much work with maps or mob files. Form what I can see however I would have to start altering map and mob files as well as script files from within my spell script in order to achieve this. Not impossible but it would seem to be a very difficult and messy thing to get into.

Shiningted
    Both the insanity effect and the petrification effect are implemented and all the other stuff works as well. See the above reply to Cujo about sending things to random nodes. Maybe you could give me some insight on what would be involved as you have done much more work with maps and mobs and such.

Not sure what you mean by "can't we have all of them". All the effects listed in the rules are implemented (except send to another plane)and have a chance of affecting any creature in the spell area when it is cast, as per the rules.

Cujo
    This was my own original solution but it seemed to make the spell too powerful which is why I decided to ask for some advice on what it should do

Anyway, the consensus seems to be to send the affected creature to a random node. I had some notion of trying this myself but as noted above I am uncertain about how to go about doing this and would need some advice and/or lots of time to research it. In the event that it can't be done or it is too difficult to do what do you all think should be the effect.

Thanks for your input so far

Darmagon

8. Lord_Spike

If you can't do it the node way, then killing the affected character is at least sending it's 'life force' to another plane. The party would have to raise or ressurect them to get them back. Costs about as much as divining their location & mounting a rescue mission...same net effect. Maybe you could add some floating text that says "Frodo has gone to the Plane of Ash" or something so it doesn't seem that they've died. Could you also modify a special raise dead spell that they'd have to use so it seemed that the character was brought back via a gate? Use deception to make seeming changes when all you've really done is kill the guy...?

After the fashion of a Livonya modification.

9. Shiningted

I wasn't thinking of it being used on the party: ummm if thats the case, well, its simply impossible (afaik) to remove a PC and send them somwerhe else, so maybe NPC followers get sent off to the nodes, PC's get the Plane of Ash treatment.

And if you have all the rest working, well done!

Imagine a rescue mission to the Fire node - "we have to rescue Meleny, we have to avoid the 38 powerful monsters we sent down here ourselves..." ;)

10. Lord_Spike

Aren't there other aspiring brides in Hommlett? Might be time to find one...

11. darmagon

Hmm yes it can be done but I can't see any simple way to make so just any raise dead spell wouldn't also bring them back. Actually just occured to me that I have seen mention of an unressurectable flag. maybe I could use that somehow. Good thinking Lord_Spike!

Darmagon

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

This is probably difficult to harder to accomplish. When the spell effect launches can a script read the game data for a PC or NPC character and save a copy of it in memory, the spell proceeds to kill the character, and, then, the game respawn the character in another area of the game from the saved copy?

13. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

hmmm i like the sent to plane of ash idea...

n response to the concern about too powerful..

youll note the (this effect means death) effects all have saves

purple sent to alternate plane..will save negates...
    so how about..

sent to plane of ash(killed) will save.. for 4d8 dam instead??(the damage is the rending of spirit from flesh.. and the struggle to not discorporate

just a thought
    why not make a spell called gate??(it can have npc summon ablitiies or.. /and can be used on (plane of ashed.. chars.. as a resurect..)
    is that even do able?

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

how does the jaroo fix to the spell permanence work? if it kills the charater and then brings it back same as it was when it talked to jaroo, could you use the same sort of thing except not bring the character back untill later (using "gate")?

15. Shiningted

Well in C++ or something this could be done, but in Python? I doubt it - we have discussed this before and people who understood the issue better than I suggested that you would have to create the PC as a new proto, and we just can't do that without hacking a ToEEWB-style proto creator onto temple.dll or the .exe (which obviously ain't gonna happen soon). Wish we could and PCs could wander away as NPCs whenever we like :)

NPCs, on the other hand, can be taken from the party and... hmmm... you would need a jumppoint (or 4, or 8, or 16) to put them in the nodes, but that can be done :) Huge amount of work for a spell you probably won't go up against very often, but well worth the effort I feel.
    OCF_UNRESSURECTABLE (also OCF_UNREVIVIFIABLE - is that a word?) As always, may be not-working leftovers from Arcanum.
    There is one, but I would rather risk the fire node...

Our Host!