Can you leave the room once combat is started?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Firstborn, Jan 17, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Firstborn

Firstborn Member

I am in the 2nd level of the moathouse.

After my chracters get attacked, I want to leave and go back up to the first level.

Is this possible? Can you retreat from combat at all?

Thanks

2. Firstborn

Firstborn Member

I am beginning to unerstand, you cant....

That is a problem in the 2nd level of the moathouse. You turn the zombies, they scatter every which way. Running into the next room and initiating the encounter with the ogre. They then continue down the stairs.

At this point, the game is screwed, and you have to re-load.

Is there a console command to FORCE combat to end?

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

In the console type the following:

from co8 import *

(hit return)

StopCombat(game.leader, 1)

(hit return)

That should do it. It will also set everything in the immediate vicinity NOT to attack on sight. Expand the vicinity by spreading your party out.

4. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

If (and only if) you're near a door icon you can exit combat by choosing "flee combat" from the radiant menu.

5. Firstborn

Firstborn Member

This isn't working.

I bring up the console, and type it in line by line.

The console seems to accept the commands, as there are not any confirmation or error messages returned. When I press return, it simple processes and goes to the next line. When I exit the console, combat is still engaged.

6. Shiningted

Sorry, my mistake - this should run off the monsters, not the game.leader, and getting a handle on passing monsters through the console is a bit complex.

Sorry :blush:

7. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

This isn't working. Is there some other requirement. I'm also attacking Lareth's men, but my 2nd level party cannot press on whereas the lieutenant and some of his men are still inside the large chamber adjoining Lareth's. Two of the five PCs are unconscious and 1 of 3 NPCs as well. The survivors are gathered at the cave exit but.....invalid action! Help!

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I've had that flee combat problem in several areas, Moat House Dungeon 1 (with the zombies running everywhere) and at Emridy Meadows (this time, it was the skeletons).

I'm not sure how it's implemented, or if it's implemented properly, as I've never used the dorr/flee comabt option. I just use the multi-save procedure and re-load. It's a bit annoying but not as bad as chasing a rogue skeleton right into the arms of the Hill Giant! Now THERE'S a wake up call for a level 2 party.

Another option I use (but this is based solely on personal playing style, party make-up, etc) is to make sure my party is at least somewhere between levels 3 and 4, before clearing the entire moat house dungeon. And seeing as the enemies are polite enough to stay put (for now), it's easy to make a series of commando raids to clear out the area with a lower level party as well.

9. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

I have had alternate luck with fleeing combat myself, sometimes I succed sometimes not. I think you're supposed to have enough points in some skill but, for the life of me, I don't remember precisely. I think that when I mostly succeded it was with a rogue, so maybe some rogue-ish feature? :blink:

10. Shiningted

I've never got that feature to work consistently: the rare occasions where it does work usually gives me a shock.

11. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Nah, i've used many times my heavily armored cleric, even when it has a tower shield and full-plate. There's no skill involved in this.

As far as i now, all your charcters must be conscious, or your be effectively leaving them behind.
    Also, i think that you should go first in the initiative, but i'm not sure.

The few times it failed for me, was when i tried to run away with my wizard...and was a gnome, which is widely known that they have lots of problems. Which race is the charcter with which you're trying to run away?

I think the manual has a small explanation about retreating.

12. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

Just had some testing in the Moathouse( FE-X, 5.5.0, Windows XP) re fleeing combat. So far, no success whatsoever but close to the stairs where you find lots of zombies and a couple of slimes. There I have 100% success. It worked 20 times out of 20!!!!!!!!!! No other place tho, very strange. As soon as I'm up the stairs(where the rats are) when I start combat I have "invalid action" if I want to flee combat. Go back downstairs, it works perfectly, and on and on and on...

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I've used flee combat successfully in the new Hickory Branch Tomb in 5.5. I honestly don't know how it works, because I rarely use it.

14. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Meh, even if the "flee combat" option is wonky, it's no big deal. Multiple saves and re-loads seem to work fine for those "Oh my Gods, the entire party just got wiped out!" moments.

Our Host!