Ghoul chest WTF

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rundor, Jul 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Of course by the time your wizard is third level, and has obtained knock (and web), your rogue is also third level, thereby making it a moot point. As previously mentioned, a third level rogue opens those chests just fine.

And on a side note, if you sneek in, you can clean out the loot without waking up the bad guys.

By the way, what do you need to open Brother Smyth's chest. THat was a no-go at fifth level for my rogue, so I'm going to try again now that I'm at six and have the masterwork tools.

2. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Why is there no option to smash open the chests? It could trigger a random encounter check due to the noise.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Not sure how you could implement it without a substantial hack.

4. Sokaijin

I'll have to make this a pet project, once I become more knowledegable in the ways of the modder.

5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Would be great if you can do it :)

The only current workaround I can think of is some kind of check based on strength to open a chest. Not sure how that would work or be implemented though.

6. Sokaijin

I make no promises, except to try. May take a while (duh), as I'm only now beginning to learn and don't want to jump in the deep-end before I can swim.

7. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

Sorry to show my ignorance here but what do you mean by smashing chests exactly? Do you want to reduce them to kindling for some reason? or are you just talking about trying to break the lock? Do you intend to include a percentage chance or destroying you weapons edge and usefulness in the process? Will a chest that is trapped always set the trap off if you use this method?

I am not sure what the PnP rules have to say about chest smashing, but from what I can see none of this would be that difficult to implement as long as it followed the rules and had some purpose.

I will leave that to you since you seem interested in taking on the project. I'm only asking because it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me. That doesn't mean its not a good idea. I am just trying to understand.

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

It ought to also include a wandering monster check.

9. Sokaijin

Smashing the lock is usually what is meant, but the chest itself can be broken into. Quite useful if you have no rogue or other party member who can pick locks. The PHB has rules for this which take into account object hardness and h.p., and in some instances the possibility of weapon breakage. Yes, any traps would prob'ly be set off in doing so, another good reason for having someone break-in to it. Wandering monster checks would be norm as I stated earlier, especially if a group is already placed nearby. Don't expect results too soon, but I'll definitely work on it.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, you'll have to add wandering monsters, but they are overdue :)

11. Sokaijin

Looks like my first modding poject is goning to be a major hack. Good thing I have some to experts to get advice from. Did a little prelim work on it last night, using the crayfish loot chest (wanted to use Bro. Smyth's, but couldn't find it in protos.tab. hey it was I was tired). Anyway, could target chest, but not actually swing at it. I knew it wouldn't be that simple though, 10-15 minutes work was too much to hope for. Will continue this in another thread in the gen. mod. section later.

12. Enneigard

Enneigard Ogre Chieftain

its Dungeons & Dragons. the chest might smash you. *looks around paranoid* :bounce:

13. Sokaijin

Indeed, I believe others are working on a mimic. You guys are still doing that, aren't you? I hope so, it would certainly add another dimension to adventuring.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yes, I believe it is still being worked on.

Would encourage you to "bash chest first, ask questions later". Hmmmm...

15. Fahrenheit

Fahrenheit Pyromancer

How, in ToEE, would you go about bashing open a chest you can't unlock?

I've tried attacking it (by clicking on it, by selecting "full attack or "single attack"), and nothing happens.

I've looked through the radial menu, and I don't see anything that I'd interpret as "bash object".

Our Host!