Ghoul chest WTF

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rundor, Jul 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Nope. Last time I had a monk he flurried fine. As did Turuko, last time I saw him in combat.

Nothing game-breaking, but the spider's chest does have some stuff that's really useful for party that just finished fighting a giant spider, which is frustrating when you can't open it. Everything else is nice to have, but you can afford to wait until later to get it.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

by the time I remember that I missed half the chests in the moathouse and I'm going back to pay off some gnolls just so I can get to the raided caravan map, the chests are no prblem at that higher level.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Does anyone familiar with the original module have a reason to offer for why the chests are still where they currently are and still have items in them? Could never figure that out with the moathouse chests.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The upper works stuff is stuff that was either put there by the current occupants (brigands buried chest), missed when the place was sacked. The ivory box in the spider tower was simply that, and was smallish & only worth 50 gp. It was made bigger & filled by Troika. The lower works stuff was put there by the current occupants in some cases. Troika again made up chests, though, both for the giant crayfish & the ghouls. The treasure was originally scattered about under bones, broken weapons, pieces of armor & the like, and one had to search about to collect it.

5. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

I had forgotten about the Brigand's chest (twenty year ago memories not being perfect), but you are right, they had one buried under the rubble of a fallen wall. I didn't find that in the TOEE game. Is it there?

And now that my memory is jogged, the big viper should have had a jeweled dagger in his nest, worth an absurd amount of money to first level PCs, especially in an area with a middle ages agrarian economy like hommlet. (I think it was worth 850 gp or so) I guess they didn't put that in, unless I just missed as well. I guess if I can't even see a door....

And while on the subject of daggers, why no silver daggers? At least a couple of the members of any party should have silver bladed daggers on their person for the unlikely but possible lycanthrope encounter.

6. JerryB

Another thing that wasn't there, or that I didn't find, was the stash of leather armor and eye of flame cloaks in a hidden room. That's where one would get enough cloaks to bluff the ogre.

In TOEE, I only found one eye of flame cloak in the whole moathouse. That's not only missing items, but a missed opportunity for the setting as well. The gnome tells you about using the cloaks a little late, indicating that they should have been available, but they don't seem to be there.

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

The cloaks are there - there is a chest with about 8 of them just to the right of the main stairwell down from the front entrance. Lubash the ogre has some pretty funny lines if you talk to him.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Also, I added the treasure from the module that was being guarded by the giant lizard (scale mail, crossbow, quarrels, and +1 shield) albeit I tweaked the crossbow and quarrels since they made for pretty ordinary treasure under the circumstances (having just found several of the same on the dead brigands, something that would not necessarily have happened the way the module was designed).

9. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Thanks guys.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its y we r here Zeb.
    Yes they should, I have meant to add them myself. But Co8's efforts have included adding a silver mace, silver crossbow quarrels, and a silver No Dachi (that will be available once I get Ah Fong's respawn happening, if it is not available anywhere else): previously silver arrows were the only silver weapons available. And of course there are new weres to use them on :D

11. JerryB

I guess that I missed alot of things. I should probably start over anyway, to catch all of the things I missed so far.

12. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Be careful. I hear the chests have game-breaking DCs now. Best to avoid them entirely.

13. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

I actually decided to delete the game and throw away the cd. I can't stand this game with these dcs. This site has ruined the game. thank you co8.

14. JerryB

Just do what I did and come back for them after you clear the moathouse, so your thief has a better pick locks percentage.

Hey, speaking of locks, do the masterwork thieves tools that you can buy in Nulb give you a bonus?

15. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Your sardar is dead on today.

Our Host!