Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I'd like it compatible with temple+ but not requiring temple+.

While I do applaud your efforts, and champion the project, some people may have a different opinion on whether temple+ is right for them, there is also compatibility issues with temple+ and various operating systems from what I gather, so making the mod as accessible as possible, to as many people as possible would be the best approach.

2. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

The scrolling in Toee is just a map area

you could actually teleport yourself to the map that scrolls in the menu.

so I am thinking if you chnaged the map script or just

changed the map area ID that loads into the menu pane.

could maybe solve the issue of moddifying the menu back ground

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Seconded. Sounds like the most sensible way to go.
    Everyone please remember this for when the first request we get after release is "unfog Easthaven".

It was fogged in the original...

4. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Is shiningted still using Windows Vista? :p
    Keep in mind that Windows 7 is the oldest consumer OS supported by Microsoft. The older ones (Vista, XP) don't get any security updates anymore. That is kinda the core of our reasoning for going Windows 7+. (That and the 1% market share it has, heh).

But after thinking more about it: The core issue I can think of that'll cause problems in the vanilla engine is the rendering perspective that was talked about previously. And since that influences the sectoring and all other object placements, I don't see how that can be made compatible.

Regarding sectoring: Have you looked into automating the sectoring based on the original files? The infinity engine has to store the blocking information in some machine readable format as well.

Other than that, there are certainly some low hanging fruits that would be "progressive enhancements". Regarding the main menu for example: We could add a config-file in T+ that -if present- allows a mod to excert control over how the main menu is rendered. That wouldn't interfere with Vanilla compatibility.

5. Allyx

There are non-Windows OS' as well though, and while I may not use Ubuntu, Linux, Mac OS and the like, others do.

The consensus reached was that the perspective difference is negligible being only 0.7°.

The IE Games seem to use 2 kinds of 'heat map' for each map to depict height in one, and traversable areas and interactive sections for doors and chests etc, which look a little like the world map random encounter map in ToEE. I'm unsure if that could be used in some way to convert the sector data to ToEE readable format, it might help the people painting the sectors though

6. Shiningted

Yes, I'm using Vista right now, though I have later OSes on other PCs. I also still have a Win 98SE machine that runs games I play from Civ to MAME, and allows me to work on Word docs when at that particular locale. And it plays ToEE, but not, I suspect, with TemplePlus.

I haven't worried about automating the sectoring because I don't know the first thing about the Infinity engine, but it's a valid question. A funny thing happened when I spent the day sectoring Easthaven then went for a trial run - the sectoring was all offset by a couple of points. Very peculiar, but I started a new game and it disappeared, so nothing to actually worry about.

You folks reading this who know IWD: I need a map of Easthaven with a legend so I can match up the outsides with the insides! The one here at Sorcerer's Place only has the main buildings, I need something with all of them since that's what we are doing. Your big chance to contribute ;)

7. Allyx

1 Tavern
    2 Inn
    3 Pomab's Emporium
    4 Hrothgar's House
    5 Aspel's House
    6 Old Jed
    7 Temple
    8 Khandahar Pass (caravan)
    9 House 1
    10 House 2
    11 Gaspar's House
    12 House 3
    13 House 4
    14 House 5
    15 Warehouse

Attached Files:

8. ineth

ineth Member

I made one for you:

[​IMG]

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Easiest thing to do with the main menu issue, assuming you can indeed disable scrolling, is just grab an 'artsy' IWD pic of suitable dimensions and use it as a static background. You'd have to go in and delete all the static objects (scenery etc.) and lights using WorldEd, and then the game would just display an image. (Recall that ToEE maps are just 2D images masquerading as 3D anyway.)

In KotB, we replaced the Temple wall with the Keep wall by changing the textures in the associated targa scenery models from iron-looking to stone and just repositioned them a bit.

btw I'd also suggest the original IWD title block for the text/logo.

10. Allyx

@Gaear, Sounds easy enough, I'll disable the scrolling and grab a screenshot of the main menu, I'll edit out the UI options that obviously won't work and upload it here. Would the image then need to be split into the relevant targa files in order to display correctly?

11. Gaear

Yes. However, I don't think you'd need to go to the trouble of using transparencies, assuming the area of the IWD title looks good enough as a solid block so to speak. (That was always a PITA with ToEE and that scraggly title font.)

12. Shiningted

Thanks for the pix Allyx and Ineth, just what I needed :)

13. Allyx

No worries mate, thanks again for helping.

14. Allyx

Well I got the name change bit done :D And that is officially the most complicated thing I've managed so far in a photoshop type program ever!

Attached Files:

Gaear likes this.
  15. Gaear

Looks good. So you did transparency anyway? Just FYI, if you stop the scrolling and eliminate any of the stretching effects SA was talking about, you could just put the logo right on the 'map' image.

Our Host!