Zoltec's 7.9 CTD Investigation Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zoltec, Aug 21, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. CrimsonVirus

CrimsonVirus Member

Ok we can safely leave behind the resolution part. Nothing works.

Will climb the Himalayas and meditate for 43 years to find the solution.

Be right back...

2. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Okay, let's pack things up. Here are various sources relating to .bik video crashes. Though we can't depend on them, as the issue is one sided. But we can relate them to the newer OSes which till now are being plagued by this .bik issue. src1 src2 src3 src4 src5 src6 src7

It seems like newer OSes win7, winvista will likely to be plagued by this issue as almost of them in the sources have win7 x64 bit and vista 64bit. Forever and ever. Amen. Though we will not stand down because of it, and fight with this great cause. :)

3. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Alright, I scoured the net and found something useful and interesting. It's about the ATI, NVIDIA, AMD and etc video related problems on KOTOR 1, the KOTOR 1 is a legacy product and it's not updated anymore. This may be indirect regarding ToEE crash problems, but I've seen enough on the web, that most of the ATI users are having the same problems i.e. crashes on cutscenes, intros, thus it is also related to bink videos. Here are some fixes and references.

Reference Ideal Solution 1

Reference Ideal Solution 2

[Bink Cinematics Playing But No Screen]
    Problem with ATI Card (Proposed solution from DX10 to DX9) Win7x64, WinXP64; Settings: "set AA to application", "de-activate Multi-sample AA" on Catalyst; Culprit: "Catalyt´s Adaptative Multisample AA"

[Bink Intros Crashes]
    Set toee.exe to Win XP SP3 compatibility mode
    Set the affinity of toee.exe process to "1 core only", "CPU0" rather than "automatic"
    Run in window mode
    Update video card BIOS and video card drivers REFER TO Stiitch

Try searching for solutions on the posted references, it might help you.

4. CrimsonVirus

CrimsonVirus Member

As I progressed through the game, I realized that the crashes apply to EVERY single video, not just the intro.
    But here's the thing: if the intro doesn't crash, then none of the subsequent videos will! Even if I reload them three kajillion times.
    Once a 'successful intro game boot' begins everything is perfect, until you exit to desktop...

Edit: Anyway I don't think there is much attention paid in this thread, since most of the input mentioned here, is repeated in the TFE-X sticky...

Glad I could offer some (if any) help anyway.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

I have found a similar thread here @ co8 forum involving the "intros". Click here.

Oddly, he fixed it by Solution.

NOTE I've also experience what Necroticpus experienced, and it might have been re-activating the modpack not the disable intros, other than that, this is still not verified, I'll verify it myself STATUS GOES THERE ->().

Supporting DATAS

* With disable intro, the game seems to have infinite successes in loading the game.

* With disable intro, the game seems to reduce game crashes (if there was on my report, if you check the data you'll see no failings on that regard i.e. with the use of movies_seen = null).

* With disable intro, the game seems to reduce other problems (Necroticpus sound problem, CrimsonVirus crash problem).

* With disable intro, the game is heavily-proofed from crashes.

Data Conclusion The problem lies on the execution of introcinematic.bik, theoretically the execution of .bik movie is the main culprit on why other videos are failing. Though, I can't produce any hard evidence on this because the game is no longer supported. Though, I still support the new foundings on movies_seen = null, it reduce my crashes significantly based on my data report, note that I'm using the new additions on temple.dll i.e. Ajitae's Reshack and Random1 Font Mod.

You offered me and the community a big help regarding this issue, thanks Crimson.

Well then the execution of the introcinematic movie is corrupting the game in other areas as well. I conclude. End of Investigation.

The reason for why you cannot play in "intro disabled" is because of the new implementations done in v7.9 i.e. Random1 Font Mod and Ajitae's Reshack. (Still not verified)

Yes, the execution of introcinematic.bik basically introduces other problems with the other .bik files and that leads to untraceable crashes.

Yes, the disable intro method just works fine. The reason on why some other videos crashes on you in v7.9 even on "disable intro", it's because of the execution of introcinematic.bik and the importing of save games from v7.8 to v7.9 which is basically not compatible and which is prone to further corruption of your save file.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
Our Host!