Zaxis and Bards..

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dragonalumni, Mar 1, 2012.

Remove all ads!
?

Do you prefer to keep a bard in your group?

1. I always carry a bard!

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. I usually/often play with a bard!

23 vote(s)
    46.9%
  3. I don't recommend bards.

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I don't know enough about bards to use one

2. TheLadiesOgre

TheLadiesOgre Member

Probably not the ideal thing to do with them, but I like multi-class Bard/Clerics. I typically go with Pelor and take Good and Sun as Domains.

3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well dipping for just a level or two of bard can be helpful when you want to enhance an otherwise single class run. That extra +1 or a bit of healing can do wonders.

4. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

I used to use Zaxis more often in earlier runs, but giving him his sister's last note and hearing him sing all the time wore thin. Now I hear other NPC's comment at map transitions.
    They aren't strong enough for me in any particular way, and I prefer using a real player in that slot. Although I might try multiclassing a bard after reading some of the previous comments.

5. Lava

Lava Established Member

Yeah the "sing absolutely every word," was more than I could take. I'd never stand near someone in real life who literally sings. every. word. always. ;)
    And a bard who can't speak to npc's is taking away one of their top uses.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'd suggest any first time player just listen to him since that was the intended experience, but for repeat players who are no longer thrilled by that, you could just delete his audio. Go to data/sound/speech and delete his folder - I think Zaxis is 00200.

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

If you do not want to delete the file, you can also just turn off voice volume and/or music as well.

8. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Personally, I think bards, rangers, barbarians, paladins, and druids are the weak character classes in D&D 3.5

The only computer games that I have ever played where bards kick major arse were The Bard's Tale series and The Lord of the Rings Online. I still have fond memories of my bard using Firehorn to obliterate entire groups of enemies in The Bard's Tale series of games.

I've never had a problem with Zaxis' voice samples. I don't find them annoying at all. To me, he and Elmo and Meleny and Pishella have the best voice samples in the game.

I wish that Zaxis wasn't a random encounter, but rather that he was waiting in one of the establishments in Nulb (either in the Snake Pit (brothel) or Boatmen's Tavern or Waterside Hostel) so that I could recruit him when I want to instead of always bumping into him when he is far below my characters' experience levels (and usually after I've already completed most of the game).

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Have a mage learn Knock ==> Problem Solved. In TOEE, it gets rid of traps, too.

Also, bards are awesome, though I prefer to roll my own.

Druids are very powerful in NWN2 (possibly more so than clerics). Druid/Barbarians are pretty damn good in TOEE.

10. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

Zaxis, blah. I do use a bard for my face guy. Actually, a multi-class rogue/bard/fighter. Actually works out pretty good. Start as rogue, leveling skill points in all the interaction skills (diplomacy, gather info, bluff, etc.). Next level is a bard, improving dialogue skills and adding perform. 3rd level is warrior, picking up whatever fighting feats I want to use (either melee or missile), beefing up my intimidate skill. Every level is the same rotation. Ends up with a pretty good all round character, which is what bards are. They are the 5th man, and make everyone else better. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is their countersond ability, which is really handy vs sonic burst, silence, and other sound offensive spells. I spose I could get away with not taking the rogue levels, but the extra damage from sneak attack is pretty awesome. I usually have 2 rogues in my party (well, the other is a rogue/fighter). The other rogue is the sneaky two-weapon locksmith trap-remover, which saves me from spreading my skill points too thin to make them worthwhile.

11. Mouldyrye

Mouldyrye Member

My first trip through ToEE and using Co8 7.2.1. (I might have let this game rot without this mod. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU) I took a bard as part of my main group to replace the sorc/wiz. I'm not multi-classing yet and took Fighter, Monk, Rogue, Cleric, Bard. I find the bard is doing great things. The +1 courage buff that doesn't take a spell slot and doesn't run out in combat has saved me tons. The competence buff allowed my rogue to open the arena of heroes chest at 4th level along with a cats grace. And, now that I have some Extra Elven chain and a second magic longsword he is diving in to the fray like a full fledged melee class and doing more work than the monk the rogue or the hired rogue. Next trip through I might not go with a bard but I don't think I would be doing as well my first trip through without him.

12. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I much prefer the second addition AD&D bards. :p

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

OK, this thread has caused me to roll up a bard and add her to my party.

I feel I need to retract a few of my statements about bards ...

You guys were right a bard can actually make a big difference, she's already giving everyone a +2 to hit and damage plus she can heal and occasionally control small crowds.

There I said it, mark this day down in infamy ... I was wrong. :p

14. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Sirchet wrong nooooooo.
    I must have entered an alternate universe.

15. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

I haven't played with a bard yet because of the lack of post level ten bard songs and the fact that they don't have open locks anymore.

Sirchet: How long does that +2 song last after you stop singing?

Our Host!