XP for dialog success?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Hal900x, Apr 10, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Lot's of RPG's seem to have this problem: the best option, XP-wise, is to kill everything. At least according to the rolls tab, there is no XP for bypassing a tough fight with a silver tongue. Is that correct? In most PnP games you would get at least as much XP from a clever avoidance of a fight than that of a hack n slash solution (and a few enlightened cRPG's).

The thing that prompted me to post this is I just got done talking Falrinth out of his lewts. Then he just "leaves". Of course, it may be that I run into him later, but the point still stands. I would love for someone to either tell me I'm wrong, or else that it is possible to add XP for dialog successes in the engine, and Co8 is on the case! ;)

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The Fruella/Meleny quests are all dialogue and have CR#'s assigned. Monsters, npc's all have HD or level to determine xp, but yes dialogue script could be written for an encounter but I think it has to have a CR rating to get XP for it so it would have to be a quest or part of.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Wow, so there is no "add experience", or "give experience" command or script that could be tied to a condition met through a dialog choice?

4. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

You could code it to give you exp on a dialog selection yes. Just like dialogue can give you items, quests, and have mobs attack you.

5. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

I'd love to see that happen. This game mirrors PnP better than any other, from a combat perspective. It suffers a bit in the roleplaying area, imo. It encourages powergaming in that it makes more sense (XP and loot-wise) to just slaughter Falrinth, making all those speech skill points obsolete. It's cool to talk your way past a powerful enemy without fighting, and I believe there should be significant reward for it.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

data / scr / scripts.py - give_a_ton()

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Myself, I would just be happy to see a small xp award when you succeed at a bluff, diplomacy, or intimidate roll.

I bet it would be a LOT of work to go through and edit all of the many many dialogs in the game though.

Our Host!