XP decreases with level -- formula?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dale5351, Oct 13, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

I have noticed that the amount of XP gained from a battle decreases with the level of my players. I am now at level 12, and many encounters give little or no XP points.

Is there a known formula for how this decrease in XP awarded is computed?

Is it worth it to not level up as soon as possible?

Can one postpone leveling up for more than one level -- or do you lose if you try that. Example, If I am level 2 and accumulate 10,000 XP without leveling up -- do I get to go all the way to level 5?

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

After 10th level and before 5th there is no difference in the rate. In between, yes, it's generally worth it to delay advancing a level. I think the precise formula is in the 3.5 DMG.

3. silo25

silo25 Established Member

you can only delay by one level, so at lvl 5 you need 10000 the game will stop you at 9999 if your level 3

4. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

As a reforming power gamer I gotta say that ya it usually "pays" to levelsquat for one level but as Daryk said, you lose excess xp beyond one level above your current. You would never level squat in real pnp because it would make no sense where the next roll of the dice may be your last.

5. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

Thanks -- I just discovered that, even though I was not level squating. I was early level 13 and killed the slavers (at least I think they were the slavers), the roll stat said everybody got 30240 XP, but they got stopped at 104999, i.e. one point shy of level 15.

6. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

This computer game uses the same XP table as the pencil & paper Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 role-playing system.

This computer game was designed for player characters to reach a maximum of level 10, and the game engine of this computer game is limited to awarding XP to player characters who are a maximum of level 10. The Circle of Eight modders increased the level limit of player characters to level 20, but player characters above level 10 receive XP as if they were level 10 (due to the game engine limitation).

Sitra Achara posted the XP table in this forum previously. Click on the following link to see the XP table:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=95441&postcount=92

Note: in the XP table:
    CR = Challenge Rating of the monster or opponent that you killed.
    PC LVL = the character (experience) level of the Player Character.

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Thanks gazra_1971, I was just looking for that info the other day. ;)

Our Host!