WoW!.. SCI-FI Battlestar Galactica & Dr Who

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by krunch, Feb 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

That bastard! :rant: Doing another "Borat" style character, eh?

Hmmph. And you're the "real deal". :hug: Those two should get together. BTW, would you call this style of humor "capitolizing on commies?" Just curious...they might implode mixing two diametrically opposed ideologies like that.

2. Lord_Spike

Yes; but I find Enterprise a bit frustrating given the lack of technology I'm used to with the shows from later timelines. From the sound of it, you two need to be playing Star Fleet Battles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Battles

3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I actually never seen "Borat"... but I know what it was about. ;)
    The saddest part about the movie was that some people
    believed Borat. Now, my friends have cited some dialogues
    from the film... I was quite shocked.

Anyway... I have no hard feelings for making Zlad! fun of us
    post communist countries... I fell for it because he faked
    generic eastern European accent pretty good. Most people
    who hadn't trained their pronunciation talk like that. Oh and
    he did the "L" in "asleep" like English speakers do in "bell"
    which is very characteristic for Slavonic and Baltic languages.

As for the last part, "capitalizing on commies" sounds good.
    Before I read about the guy in Wikipedia I would call it "commies
    capitalizing" trying to follow western trends. ;)

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Lord_Spike:

The Star Trek Enterprise I'm talking about is set in a time before Captain Kirk, but the series is new. The special effects, sound, and plot, (violence and sexual content) scream of 2006 or later.

The next board game I'm gonna get involved in will be Dream Blade(WoTC), I just hafta get the hang of the rules :)

5. Lord_Spike

Watch it; you'll be shocked even more. Some of the morons in the movie believed Borat. He was actually spoofing prejudices...along with everything else. It is really quite funny taken in the correct context. Ali G is more of the same, spoofing the young suburban hip-hop/gangsta culture. So real, it'd be annoying if I didn't know it was a put-on. Those dumb asses who believe him are unbelievably stupid.

sirchet...I'm familiar with ST:E; just bored with it. Archers dog can't eat cheese - because you can't open the windows in space? Borrrr-ing. They have to re-do the lore every time they screw up a timeline to suit the newest addition to the Trek family. They've F'd up all the future history we thought we knew because of Enterprise. There was a lengthy war with the Romulans which has been left out...the one with Sarek (Mark Lenard) as the warbird commander...the fact that the NCC-1701 was built in parts in San Franciso, launched into orbit, then assembled in space...and a host of other trivia that became obsolete with the advent of this show. I don't like it at all when stuff like this happens to stuff we've already gotten into our cultural lexicon. They should be creative...not rape other people's work. Personally, I'd love to go on some more missions with Captain Sulu in the Excelsior. They have a fuck-load of ships, crews, etc. just dying to be written about.

Although the Vulcan chick is uber-hawt. :jerkin:

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I thought the borat movie was funny but then I've been watching that alter ego of Sacha Baron Cohen on the Ali G show for years. I actually think some of his piss taking in England is funnier than his American stuff but then he became to famous in England and had to cross the Atlantic to take the piss out of people who'd never heard of him.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I felt the new generation Star Trek went downhill: I loved Next Generation, really enjoyed DS:9 although didn't think it was as good (although it had 2 absolute masterpiece epsiodes IMHO - ask if u r interested ;) ) and I watched Voyager since it was Star Trek, but it didn't grab me on any deep level. Enterprise didn't interest me in the slightest though I did give it a go.

Santo Cilauro (ie Zlad!) is a very famous Aussie comedian of Italian descent (obviously) though I had never seen this Zlad stuff before.

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I've watched afew old school star trec epsodes with Kirk and Spock in them on sunday morinings. They're amusing in a really cheesey way altho spock seems to be the only guy with any force powers and I havn't seen one light saber yet.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

What are ya, ignorant? Star Trek didn't have force powers and light sabres. That was the Thunderbirds.

FAB Virgil.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Star Trek: Enterprise - Jolene Blalock is truly a hottie. Enterprise needed better writers - ones who could write stories from being more familiar with Gene Roddenberry's work, storyline and themes.

Star Trek: Next Generation episodes had too much soap opera in them (about half or more in about every episode).

Star Trek: Deep Space 9 was typically a good show, but nothing more than that (except for about the last three final shows and the finale episode).

Star Trek: Voyager was a good show the 2nd season and a real good Star Trek show the third season on out. Seven-of-Nine saved the show, for sure. For the most part, I never really did care for the Capt. Janeway character.

I really missed the basic themes from the original Star Trek show when watching the other Star Trek shows. For the most part, the original Star Trek has a distinct pizzazz with Capt. Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty and crew that the other Star Trek shows just do not have (in most episodes, anyway). The Star Trek Voyager shows came closest to having that kind of pizzazz.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  11. sirchet

Lord_Spike: I like the plots given so far, maybe I'm just boring hehehe. I do agree that alot of the facts we have come to think of as set in stone have been re chiseled. No one is ever going to be able to match Gene Roddenberry's scope, perception or hidden messages that hooked this Geek, and had him as a child waiting for Thursday nights to find out who Captain Kirk was gonna clobber, or kiss.

Krunch: I loved Deep Space Nine, especially when they were fighting The Dominion.

I think my Trekkie/Geek is showing :)

12. Lord_Spike

Ted's DS9 fav's...one of them has got to be one that I've never seen but am dying to; the area 51 episode. I dunno the other one you might be thinking of.

Janeway would have been much more interesting if portrayed by the actress originally conceived of for the role: Genevieve Bujold. Ahh, what might have been.

Thunderbirds...? UFO was sooo much better. If it ever comes back on SciFi, I'll be screaming about it here.

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

15. sirchet

Cool clip, I think I like the evil crew's uniforms better :evil:

Our Host!