Wish List for Modpack 8 and up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Aquinas, Oct 30, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. tom

tom Established Member

Some way of legitimately earning money - a hiring house, hireling on to hunt dangerous animals, or to guard caravans.

2. aanalore

aanalore Member

My rogue would LOVE to find a magic shortbow.

3. Salk

Salk Established Member

I do not have that already.

See here: http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=102670&postcount=32

Under 'Teh Future' and 'the barebones version'.

Since Co8 supports a NC and a non NC version I think it'd be just good to have no real new content at all in the non NC version. Am I wrong?

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Our rationale for the Co8 content that remains in the standard version (primarily the Rannos & Gremag stuff and the Moathouse Ambush) is that is has become canon over the years and people don't know it's not original. This is because it was part of the modpack for so long when there was only one, so basically everybody who played the mod played that content and it became ingrained in the experience. I believe, quite literally, that we would get more complaints along the lines of "Co8 took stuff out - they suck!" if we removed that content from the standard modpack than we get for having it in there.

That's not to say that there won't possibly be a third modpack version some day - the referenced barebones version. Maybe. :)

(There are of course the old, old questions about where to draw the line, such as do you want all the original bugs too, etc.)

5. aanalore

aanalore Member

I am not sure if this is possible, but....it would make the game a lot more efficient if there were some way to "bundle" spells. that are oftencast together. Say for instance you are getting rady for a battle. You want to lbuff up your fighters with stoneskin, protection from evil and protection from energy (fire.) As it is now, you have to select each spell and apply it to each character. It would be cool if you could simply choose a "protection pack" which would include all of thios spells.

6. Salk

Salk Established Member

Thanks for your reply, Gaear.

I understand what you're saying about "old" new content having become canon for every one who played the mod before. But even if it feels that way, it is still added content.

About where to draw the line, I would say this: nobody wants original bugs. But has that to do with adding content to the original game? I mean, is there a situation where adding content was a necessary step to remove some original bug?

Thanks again and happy new year! :thumbsup:

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No, but I'm moreso referring to the fact that it's generally much more involved to take all modded content out than it seems. Also, what about rules compliance issues? The proto overhaul for example brought many things into compliance, but it is modded content. Removing it again would revert all that stuff to a non-compliant state. More significantly, getting rid of it is not just a matter of using an old version of protos.tab, as many bugfixes have been made to that file as well. So that would mean going through all the hundreds of proto entries line by line, evaluating them on a case by case basis, and making determinations. That would take a very long time, and when considering that it's simply to satisfy a purist point of view, it seems a poor investment.

That also illustrates the 'where do we draw the line' question: does rules compliance stuff stay? If so, why? It's not vanilla, even if it does improve the game. If not, what does stay? Why does an edit on a magic item or whatever stay but not a change to somebody's dialogue to make him not repeat himself over and over, etc., etc. Or does that stay too, and if so, why? Etc., etc., etc. All these things would have to be defined before a comprehensive and sensible approach could be enacted, and again I'm left wondering how that could possibly be a worthwhile investment of time when there are still 500 bugs left unfixed in the Atari buglist. ;)

8. Salk

Salk Established Member

You make a point, Gaear.

My own interpretation would be to preserve the modded proto overhaul and ditch all the added items to the game. The rationale being that the added items do not really solve a issue like that modded protos.tab does. This view would just allow for a minor time invested in a barebones version.

I do understand your concern though and I understand if you do not even want to begin thinking about this at this moment. I of course agree with your roadmap and course of action. I just thought that removing added items wouldn't really be very complicated for you guys. But again, I am no modder so I don't really know what kind of involvement it takes.

Thanks for hearing me out though and have a happy new year!

9. tom

tom Established Member

An expansion of the dwafen quarry possibly a few more caves? - as it stands i feal its over too quickly.

Chance to but some baddies into the later caves.

10. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

A high level spell that restores all your spells without having to rest? I know that there's a name for it but it doesn't come to my mind yet.

11. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

A Horn of Valhalla.

Back in 1st ed. It was a magic horn that would summon three to five fighters for the duration of a combat.

In ToEE terms it could summon a set number of fighters, they would accompany the party for a short time like any other summoned critter.

The player would have no control over them and they would disapear after their death, or shortly after combat ends.

I'm thinking same function as the fungus figurine.

If it is set up with low level fighters (1st - 3rd), have it available early in the game.
    Mid lvl ftrs (4th- 6th) mid game, High lvl (7th - 9th) post Zuggy, Verbobonc.

It seems as it would be relatively easy to implement, hoeaver I'm functionally illiterate when it comes to modding etc...

Uggh... After looking up the horn on the SRD, Nevermind.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The Wish spell can be used to retrieve a few of the spells already cast, but no higher than 8th level spells for a wizard that can cast 9th level spells.

The ring of resonance grants you all your spells just like you rested, but that's an item.

I'm not familiar with a spell that does the same.

There is a level 4 cleric spell that removes fatigue, but does not give any spells back.

13. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Re Salk's unmodified game:
    I bought ToEE as two CDs in a cardboard box sometime in late 2004, at what I assume (£10) was a reasonable discount for old stock. It wasn't unplayable without patches by any means (and I got as far as level 3 of the temple before I was aware of any online presence at all for the game- found a few things after googling Fragarach) and was able to complete. The only issue I had was CTDs after hitting the balor with a CG character/ Fragarach combo, which AFAIK still persists. I had a bit of a fireball first, questions later approach in the temple, so I didn't exactly test out the subtleties of roleplaying interactions, but the game as sold to me was playable straight out of the box. FWIW, window XP on a c2000 AMD athlon processor.

14. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

It's Probably the wish spell, but is that available in ToEE?

15. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

If you put it that way, I would have to make 3 bows for every type of damage... Wouldn'd it make more sense to have the arrows that deal such damage?

Our Host!