[WIP] ToEE Front-End X 5.0 Progress Report

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Apr 20, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. AjiTae

AjiTae God

Re: [WIP] ToEE Front-End X 4.0 Progress Report

Agetian, 1680x1050 crashes for me anyway(tried even from clean instalation). So could you try 1280x768 dll, and say if it crushes.

//i'm going to sleep, tomorrow is a new day)

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  2. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

1680x1050 itself definitely works perfectly, at least on a monitor that can handle the resolution, it was tested and confirmed multiple times, including on the Widescreen Gaming website (and indeed, I can run 1680x1050 no problem here). The 1280x768 dll also crashes for me, similar to the 1680x1050 one :\

- Agetian

3. AjiTae

AjiTae God

Try this 1680x1050 dll.(toee.cfg also must be 1680x1050).
    Anyway, this is the last attempt for today.

4. Agetian

Unfortunately, the same crash happens with the new dll, sorry... :( I don't know what's up but I made sure I used your dll only, haven't injected any other fixes or changes into it, and set my configuration file to 1680x1050...

- Agetian

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Unless they can be verified by a full play-through with no issues, I'd say no. We're not really in the business of try-at-your-own-risk 'hacks;' our stuff has to be stable.

Here's a fictional problem scenario: random player who doesn't read any documentation sees 1972x1447 custom resolution in TFE-X, randomly decides that sounds cool to him, tries it, game crashes, boldly declares that Co8 sucks because the resolutions TFE-X claims to support don't actually work. :shrug:

~

I'm okay with releasing the latest v4 if you like Ag, but I was hoping to still create a slick black image icon for it (my stake in this is that the TFE-X executable doubles as the stock image representing ToEE/Co8 on players' desktops/start menus everywhere ;)), and I was also hoping we could get the executable renamed like with previous versions to 'Circle of Eight Modpack.' Players of course still see the TFE-X logos and whatnot once it launches. :)

6. Agetian

@ Gaear: Sure thing, I can wait till you get the icon ready, Gaear! I'm in no hurry for a release - will do some more testing in the meantime, too! :) And yep, good point about the resolutions, too. We can get the executable renamed for the Co8 modpack release for sure, though in that case we'd need to advise the players to fully get rid of the old TFE-X - as of right now, TFE-X is a drop-in replacement (the executable replacing the old one), but if we change the name, people might start getting confused which executable to start or something...

- Agetian

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Actually as I look at it, the previous version was TFE-X too ... I think I must have changed the output name of the application in the installer (so that in the start menu or desktop icon etc. it was called 'Circle of Eight Modpack.') So don't worry about it anyway. :)

8. AjiTae

AjiTae God

Agetian, does clean v1 crash fullscreen too?
    //Hate to debug something that works for me. =\

upd: tried on my old slow like hell laptop... and it works. =\
    But its native resolution - 1400x1050(also works), and i still can't test 1680x1050.
    So:
    win xp sp3, 1400x1050 monitor - works,
    win 7 sp 1(UAC enabled/disabled), 1920x1080 monitor - works.

I don't know what to do.:dizzy:
    In older versions of tfe-x was an option "clean game cache on startup". May be it is a cache issue?

1280x768 dll + cfg
    Gaear, please try it too.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. AjiTae

AjiTae God

Tested:
    win 7, 1024x600 netbook - works
    win xp, 1024x600 netbook - works

I have no more computers to test.:cry:

Also v4.0.1(.dll above) - it won't resolve crushes(because i can't reproduce any), just a better implementation.
    Code:
    0x164E 32bit - width 
    0x1656 32bit - height

0x147298
    89 44 24 30 DB 44 24 30 DC 4C 24 34 - old
    90 90 90 90 DB 44 24 30 89 44 E4 30 - new

0x1472FF
    89 44 24 44 DB 44 24 44 DC 4C 24 48 - old
    90 90 90 90 DB 44 24 44 89 44 E4 44 - new

10. Agetian

Ok, I did some extended testing and here's what I've found out: it works on my Windows 7 box but it doesn't work on either of my Linux boxes (my primary PC is a Linux box, which is why I was experiencing crashes all along), which means that the patch breaks cross-platform compatibilty of the game (in particular, its compatibility with Wine), which is not a good thing - ToEE was known to run reliably, fast, and with no extra issues under Wine for at least the last three or four years, and as I'm writing a cross-platform front-end and as the game is known to work very well as is under Wine on both Linux and Mac OS X for a long time (and a lot of users are known to request proper alternative OS support for a long time), I would like to include only the hacks and patches which will work reliably across platforms so that the game performs with them as well as it did without them. :( I'm not sure if you have any computers running Linux or if maybe installing a Linux system and the game in a VMWare virtual machine is an option for you (I'm not even sure if the latter is going to work since VMWare's 3D support may not be sufficient to run ToEE), but if not, I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to remedy this - I mean, I clearly consistently see a CTD when using the hacks you've submitted so far (they all work great in windowed mode but they crash in fullscreen), and I can consistently play the game in fullscreen in any resolution I want (whether it be 800x600, 1280x768, 1280x800 or 1680x1050) for at least the last three years under Wine without any resolution-related CTDs. :\ If it matters, Wine reports "Cannot enumerate videomodes" when it crashes when your patch is in effect (in fullscreen), while the said message is missing and the game runs normally when the patch is not applied. Other than that, I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to help you understand why this is happening, but if there's anything I can do (if there's any info you need or more testing that you want me to do), please let me know, I'm willing to help to the best of my ability, since if we can actually make this patch work in a cross-platform way, it's going to be a big asset for the front-end indeed! :)

EDIT: By the way, if it matters, I don't think there's anything wrong with the second part of the patch (the one injected into 0x147298 and 0x1472FF), at least not necessarily. I believe that the reason it crashes is because of 0x164E/0x1656. When those two offsets have values other than 800 and 600 in them, the game CTDs in fullscreen on Wine.

- Agetian

11. AjiTae

AjiTae God

Well, at least something cleared up.)

Try out this .dlls(1280x764). Only for testing.
    If "a" crashes I'll have to install linux.(long overdue :) )

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  12. Agetian

@ AjiTae: I'll test in about an hour from now or so - by the way, can you please post the same DLL but for 1680x1050, just in case? (or just tell me what offsets I'd need to change for 1680x1050)

- Agetian

13. Agetian

Oh by the way, nevermind - just tested temple_a.dll and it didn't crash (and did center the party).

EDIT: Sigh, it launched once and then the second time it didn't and crashed with this:
    err:xrandr:xrandr12_set_current_mode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
    err:xrandr:xrandr12_set_current_mode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000320 at address 0x320 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
    Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000320 in 32-bit code (0x00000320).

:(

EDIT 2: I don't know how it miraculously ran once back then, but now I can't make it start anymore, even after a restart. :\

- Agetian

14. AjiTae

AjiTae God

It was a dirty hack, so it's ok.)
    I'll try to implement it the right way.(not sure it will work)

15. Agetian

Ok! :) By the way, temple_b.dll crashes the usual way. Good luck! :)

- Agetian

Our Host!