[WIP] ToEE Front-End X 5.0 Progress Report

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Apr 20, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Re: [WIP] ToEE Front-End X 4.0 Progress Report

UPDATE: Updated the Gold Release to build 4. Fixed a bug that caused a crash when parsing modules that do not support Delayed Blast Fireball (was related to the code overhaul to support drop-down menu functionality).

Thanks for the report, Zoltec! Please give gold 4 a try, it should no longer bug you with the error. ;) Seems you're the only one actively testing, by the way... Thanks for that! It's kind of funny and sad at the same time that it took almost a couple weeks for anybody to notice a glaring issue like that, and only after the issue had to go from the experimental build into gold. Seems like hardly anybody wants to actually get hands dirty and test stuff, everyone wants to get a bug-free front-end without helping out with testing (as such, people only ever download gold releases and hardly ever download experimental builds). :( Oh well. Let's just hope there are no more issues like that in gold 4.

On a more serious note - people, please help test the new front-end. Everything that is missed while testing the front-end is going to end up straight in v7.9.0 in a little over a week from now. The better you test the new TFE-X, the better your experience with the new modpack is going to be! Thanks in advance.

- Agetian

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Well, I've been running the new front end for a while now.

Sorry, I missed that one.

My testing should have been more thorough, but Wizardry 8 has grabbed a hold of me again and I just can't seem to break away. :)

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

An oldie, but DEFINITELY a goodie. Any mods? :gotmyatte

4. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Too bad the change to a 3D environment nerfed the Cane of Corpus- but their personality choices made the dialogue during combat wonderful to hear...:)

5. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I'm still playing thru the last non-gold version of the front end (or I have the gold v.1- hard for me to tell) and the only issues I've seen is that my rogue is becoming burdened when picking up gems and jewels, which are listed as not having weight- her Strength is 13 so 50 lbs is her limit. When she starts to pick up the loot the burdened symbol appears on her icon. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else before so I'm not sure if it's a front end issue or a v7.8 modpack issue...

6. Agetian

@ Gehennis: please update to gold 4 as soon as possible, all previous builds are considered obsolete. Still, the issue you're mentioning is a gameplay issue, not a front-end issue - please report it to the Co8 modpack bug report thread, hopefully it'll get fixed before v7.9.0 if it's a bug! :)

- Agetian

7. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

@Agetian Well, I'll try it now. ;) I'll update you when there is something else.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Can we update to Gold V4 by overwriting what we currently have, or do we need to remove the older version?

9. Agetian

@ Zoltec: Sounds good! :)

@ sirchet: It's OK to overwrite the old version with the new one and proceed from there, it'll work just fine. :)

- Agetian

10. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Results

There is a big delay in ToEE loading bar and have to wait approx. 3-4 mins to fill it, I'm primarily stuck in "Initializing sectors" - still the game successfully loads. I suspect its the "clean game cache" Function - though I haven't tested it, since its missing on the ToEE Front-END which is intentionally removed from the application.

LC Function - Being tested at the moment...

1 - OK
    2 - OK
    3 - OK
    4 - OK
    5 - OK
    6 - OK

18 - OK
    19 - OK
    20 - OK

MNPP Function - Being tested at the moment...

3PCs 5NPCs - OK
    4PCs 4NPCs -
    5PCs 3NPCs -
    6PCs 2NPCs -
    7PCs 1NPCs -
    8PCs 0NPCs - OK

DBFD Function - x

0 turn -
    1 turn -
    2 turns -
    3 turns -
    4 turns -
    5 turns -

How do I test these?

By executing ToEE via ToEE-Front END, when the test is completed, input test here then re-launch again till all that requires evaluation is finished.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  11. Agetian

@ Zoltec: The new TFE-X automatically cleans the game cache on startup. The function is exactly the same as in the old front-end, the difference is only in the fact that in the new front-end it's a necessity while in the old front-end it was an option (which was actually a bad thing because it was never meant to be turned off by end users as that could have led to in-game issues). There should be no difference in keeping the 'clean game cache on startup' option enabled in the old front-end and running the new front-end with no such option at all (and I don't experience any difference in that regard on any of the systems I've seen TFE-X operate on). Thanks a lot for testing!

- Agetian

12. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

@Agetian Point taken, maybe its my antivirus afterall, since its set to scan file executions (which is a big slowdown). Can you tell me what's the difference betw. Mersenne Twister and Quick & Dirty? How they operate and why they are diff. from each other? So I can test it if its working correctly. I'd rather ask you than Google because you are the developer of this cross-platform program.

Edit: How about implementing <below> to complete the options.

1PC, 7NPCs
    2PCs, 6NPCs

Reason : I always use a solo character and always rely on NPCs.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  13. Agetian

@ Zoltec: Quick'n'Dirty and Mersenne Twister are both random number generation algorithms that were at one time introduced into the game by Troika. The Circle of Eight has nothing to do with the implementation of those algorithms, both were coded by the original game developers. Initially the game shipped with the algorithm called Quick'n'Dirty, which is known exactly for something suggested by its title - it's a fast number generation algorithm that, unfortunately, can suffer from repetitive "random" numbers, so random number generation is not effective and, as such, players complained about getting six critical misses in a row etc. So, with patch 2 (I believe it was patch 2), Troika implemented another random number generation algorithm called Mersenne Twister, which was supposed to cure the non-random random numbers sickness. However, while Mersenne Twister is indeed better than Quick'n'Dirty, it is not ideal either and, as such, users still complain about lack of randomness in rolls from time to time. Some even claim that "the Circle of Eight modpack ruined the game because the rolls are less random than they were in vanilla" (even though, like I said, Co8 has nothing to do with the implementation or reimplementation of random number generators in ToEE :)). But for the sake of completeness, we decided to include a possibility to switch over from the new RNG algorithm to the old, vanilla one just so that users can check it out if they want (and either be happy or, more likely, switch back because random number generation with Quick'n'Dirty is even more bugged than with Mersenne Twister). In practice, it's very difficult to test the difference between the two (as random numbers are involved), you may get different results in different playthroughs, so I actually don't even recommend testing them - the option definitely does switch the random number generators around and that's what matters. :) In practice, there's almost never a good reason to switch to Quick'n'Dirty, so the option was made only for the sake of completeness and to prevent people bitching about the "new algorithm being worse than the old one". :)

By the way, a good idea about the extra PC/NPC ratio options! I don't remember if there was a good reason these particular options were not included (I remember we had a discussion about that, there might be a hardcoded limitation of some sort), I'll ask around and if there wasn't, I'll add these two options as well. ;)

- Agetian

14. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

@Agetian Thank you, you are very informative, guess have to give up testing those. :) However about the ratio options, I too overseen that discussion about reasons why they are not included, though it is long-time ago. ;)

15. Agetian

@ Zoltec: No problem at all! Let me know if any issues show up! :)

- Agetian

Our Host!