[WIP] ToEE Front-End X 5.0 Progress Report

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Apr 20, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. AjiTae

AjiTae God

Re: [WIP] ToEE Front-End X 4.0 Progress Report

I'm working on hack(but not too hard :) ) and trying to achieve the best result, so i won't post "beta" offsets.
    You can release tfe-x as it is if you feel like it.

P.S. If I suddenly die you always can get offsets by simple binary compare of clean dll(7.8.0) and my. (for example "fc /b old new" in windows)

2. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

@ AjiTae: Fair enough, good luck! By the way, what's wrong with the previous version of the hack that you submitted for testing?

- Agetian

3. AjiTae

AjiTae God

The same scrollbars issue. Yes it can be fixed like before, but this is treatment of symptoms and I want to cure the disease. :)

4. Agetian

Oh, alrighty. Good luck with it!

- Agetian

5. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Had a slight issue with the game CTD just after the initializing blue bar popped up but I just disabled the intro movies and all is working fine now.

6. Agetian

To be honest it's a good question if this has anything to do with the front-end or not... all other things aside there's an equal chance that it may or may not be, but given that it's the first report of this happening from several testers within a long enough time frame, a bit more likely not to be a TFE-X issue... still, in order to ensure that it isn't (or it is, and thus fix it), can you please do the following:

1) tell me what options you have enabled in your Options menu (including the submenus - as in, what resolution is chosen and what random number generator is chosen);
    2) launch TFE-X, enable intros, run the game, and then immediately after it starts (or CTDs, if it crashes again for you) copy the contents of your TFE-X.log file and post it here (in a code block, if possible, as in the "code"..."/code" html tags).

Thanks in advance.

- Agetian

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Movie-related crashes are not uncommon for the regular modpack. Some systems have problems either resizing the screen for the movies or not. Oftentimes, having your GPU set to 'scaling' will result in crashes. Normally the issue is solved by playing movies at their original resolution.

So in short, I doubt that it's a front end issue.

8. Agetian

@ Gaear: Yeah, I agree. I can't reproduce it on Windows or on Linux personally at the moment...

- Agetian

9. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

The resolution is 800x600 and all options are checked, the default of 1 is set for the Delayed Blast Fireball and the random number generator is Mersenne Twister. This time everything worked fine- except that I couldn't Esc out of viewing the intro movie- had to let the whole thing play out (and to be fair, I'm not exactly dealing with a high end machine here myself so don't get TOO worried...) :)

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Next time try right clicking the mouse once during the movie and then try escaping out.

11. Agetian

@ Gehennis: Yeah, doesn't look like it's a TFE-X issue, more likely to be a generic ToEE issue with video mode switching (that part of the game seems to have certain tolerable issues, especially on newer operating systems with newer videocards).

- Agetian

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I've experienced more than once that the movie is actually running in a semi background mode and right clicking the mouse brings it forward and allows the key stroke to effect the movie.

It does this every time on my laptop.

13. Agetian

@ sirchet: Yeah, I had that too, kind of randomly - must be the way ToEE implements it.

- Agetian

14. Agetian

Ok, all things considered and with the resolution dll hack taking longer time to complete, do you think it would be a good idea to release TFE-X to the public in its current state? It looks stable right now, and there haven't been any bug reports that would indicate a serious (or a non-serious, for that matter) TFE-X issue. A public release might be a good way to get more people to test, I have a gut feeling a lot of people are either reluctant to test a potentially unfinished release from here or just pay no attention to the thread whatsoever. However, we have to carefully consider the following:

1) Releasing TFE-X now will basically be equivalent to asking our general public to migrate from TFE-X 3.0e to TFE-X 4.0. There is no going back once this process starts. While one can roll back from TFE-X 4.0 to TFE-X 3.0e if anything goes wrong, future builds of TFE-X (4.1, 5.0, whatever) will actually start to partly drop the mutual compatibility of the two front-ends in favor of new features and improvements. Let us consider carefully if we want to start this now or line it up with Co8 v7.9.0.

2) As a consequence of the above, we will either have to support both front-ends and even possibly mixed FE installations for a while until Co8 v7.9.0 is out with the new FE. This might be daunting and a little hard to do if people start acting too defensively by creating weird ToEE configurations with two front-ends installed side by side or on different game installations (we can only hope that everything is done right - there is actually one example above in this thread with things going way south exactly due to confusion arising from multiple game/FE installations).

3) On the other hand, broader testing and wide migration to the new platform means much, much better feedback for the new TFE-X. More testing on various PCs and operating systems means more reports of things that might have been overlooked, and that, in its turn, means we might have a chance to fix things up before Co8 v7.9.0 and then release an updated version (v4.1, v5.0, etc.) with the new Co8 modpack.

Please let me know what you think.

- Agetian

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Let's just wait for v7.9. That's still technically a testing release, and probably most players won't install the new version of TFE-X independently anyway, as you say. We'll basically have everybody on-board with 7.9, whether they like it or not. ;)

Our Host!