windows 8 installation

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tom, Aug 12, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. tom

tom Established Member

I bought my nephew a copy of TOE, but he is using windows 8 and running kaspersky anti virus. He is having great difficulty getting it to run - many crashes to desktop on start up and on moving between locations.

I would be very grateful if somebody could provide simple step by step instructions for how to install TOEE and Co8 7.9 onto windows 8 suitable for a savy 14 year old or a very unsavy 47 year old.

Cheers :)

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Is there some reason the normal instructions don't work? They should apply for all Windows.

3. tom

tom Established Member

I have tried installing it on my laptop running windows 7. and avg 2013. i have checked that i have flash installed. I have tried running the gog install, the toee install and the toee front end as administrator.

I uninstalled toee and gog. i ran troubleshooter . I ran the gog exe as administrator with windows xp servies pack 2 compatible, and did the same for toee install and toee front end.

The front end loads, it runs the activation but when i run play after activating it crashes when starting up.

I run trouble shoot and get an incompatible program message.

Could you give me a literally step by step guide? because I think i am following the installation instructions but something is not working.

Cheers

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

What's the last thing you see before it crashes?

Also, there should be a log file in your TOEE directory, could you post it?

5. tom

tom Established Member

The last screen is the "initiating sector data" screen - the log file seams to be empty.

6. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Have you tried temporarily disabling the anti-virus or making a custom directory for the game?

7. valky

valky Member

I'd first try to get it running in plain windows 8 mode without relying on the compatibility option (I personally get crashes then doing so myself @win 7). SInce I kinda messed up my game too, I'd suggest:

- delete toee.cfg
    - reactivate temple of elemental evil in the Co8 loader and run it -> fresh & new *cfg will be created & exit (or even edit the options right then in your game, as some options like enable/disable AA with Co8 mod crashes for me too)
    - add an exception to the whole ToEE folder in AVG 2013 (several protection programs behave weird and ToEE is very very sensitive for other tools accessing files at the same time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdQS661gBaQ <- instead of "file" use the "folder" option

- reactivate Co8 modpack thereafter and play

Not sure if it is of any help, but that'd restore the game to the basics and create a newly untouched config, the latter seems to be very important.
    And I'd rather use Vista-compatibility instead, but try to avoid it at any cost as it should run much better in either 7 or 8. Though my Win8 experience is limited to 0 = never change a running system :roll:

8. tom

tom Established Member

No go - i tried turning avg off installing and running toee and modpack as administrator and compatable to first 7 then 2 but neither worked

9. sirchet

Are you running Win8 in desktop mode?

The small amount of experience I've had with Win8 is it seems to run older programs better when in desktop mode, not app mode.

10. tom

tom Established Member

ok to catch up on where i am at.

I thought i would have a go at installing it on my machine before i install it on my nephews as mine is close to hand and i can experiment on it.

My machine runs windows 7 64 bit and avg. I am using the toee from gog.

I uninstalled all old copies from my computer and deleted any old files that i could find after uninstalling.

I downloaded a clean copy of Toee from gog.
    I downloaded a clean copy of 7.9 nc from co8
    I disabled avg.
    I opened properties for toee and 7.9 and checked the unblock boxes.
    I installed toee with its default setting ( as administrator, windows xp expansion pack 2 compatible.)
    I ran the 7.9 exe with its default setting( as administrator , windows exp expansion pack 2 compatible)
    I activated 7.9.
    I got the 7.9 is now activated prompt
    I pressed play.
    It got to the end of the initializing sector data prompt and crashed to desktop. Leaving a large rectangular section of the screen blacked out.

I would be very grateful if any one can point out what i could be doing wrong. :sadblinky

Cheers.

11. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

@ tom: Can you please try disabling intros in TFE-X and see if that makes the situation better for you?

- Agetian

12. tom

tom Established Member

Success!

i discovered that avg had two off switches in two different screens. I had previously missed one of them. so i turned both to off

I installed as above.
    I disabled the intros as suggested.
    It works!

Many thanks to all for your time and your suggestions.

13. tom

tom Established Member

I looked for the cfg file to swich to widescreen but cant find one.

I re- enabled the movies and hit play - it crashed after initailising sector data.

i disabled the movies and it works again. :dizzy:

14. sirchet

So, with intros disabled you can select new game/load game and such?

If I disable intros my mouse freezes at the selection screen, so I have to leave the intros enabled and hit escape when they start to play.

15. tom

tom Established Member

I can so far.

Our Host!