Who should monsters/NPCs talk to? Your opinions please.

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Zebedee, Jul 24, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

My preferred files are now up for testing on the cumulative mods and fixes thread should anyone wish to test. They are currently for Lubash, Gnoll Leader and Tower Sentinel.

Feedback would be wonderful.

------------------------

Jerry B - I kind of agree but I don't see us rewriting every dialogue in the game for such checks. At least not yet :) It becomes particularly problematic with voiced NPCs but that can be overcome I guess.

I disagree with the party leader point of view. 99% of all NPCs are not proactive and so you can choose who you'd like to talk to them. The remaining 1% should not prevent the player from engaging them in dialogue with the skills and talents of the party spokesperson. That option should always be present. You should not be forced into using the party spokesperson in responding to an NPC, and the changes which I've made (with extensive help from Blue - extensive as in he did a most of the hard work in the scripting - and advice from Ruf) do not do that. If you run a character just 6 feet ahead of the party leader then the NPC will choose that character to speak to by default. If your party leader is then within 40 feet of that character then the player can choose how to proceed - whether to use the initial triggerer of the dialogue or call for the party leader.

Have a try and play with the changes (they need properly testing by fresh eyes in any case) and let me know whether they meet what you think is a reasonable compromise. :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  2. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well blue they there is one npc i know you all added that has some serious prejudices, namly roland the cleric. he had a serious fit when he saw a half-orc in my party.

3. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

This is true, I hadn't recruited Roland, so I forgot about him. That, and Bertram's preferences, and the girl in the snake pit, among others, demonstrate some good real world sort of variances among the NPCs are present to the benefit of the game. You guys have done a great job!

Our Host!