Where's The Ted?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaear, Jun 5, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No signs of crises at Ivy's blog. Anyone heard from him lately? I'm finding the recent spam-free ;) feel of the board to be mildly disquieting. :paranoid:

Saddle up, Spike & Co. It may be time for another search and rescue mission!

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I haven't heard from him, I hope he's alright though. Perhaps he's finally getting married? I don't know but (food for thought) since he's been MIA for 3 days straight, he'll have to make 31 posts in one day for each week he's MIA if he want's to maintain his 4.7 posts per day average.

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The hunt is on...

Allyx...you DARE doubt the King of Spam?

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well I'm not sure about Aussie or the UK but it was a long weekend here - the celebration of a certain monarchs birthday - and people often step out on long weekends

5. Allyx

I don't doubt his spamming ability, I do however have concerns as to whether the server could take such a large volume of spam in such a short period of time without overheating and spewing sparks and smoke all over the place :grin:

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

In spite of the new hard drive...?

;)

7. Allyx

Well the server has in fact gone down since the hard drive change (allbeit only for a short time), and according to Sol Invictus himself "the server is a piece of crap", so in answer to your question? Yes.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Found him. In case you haven't seen it, this from Ted's blog:

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

corrupt = data loss -> not only will XP have to be reinstalled, but the reinstall of XP will likely require that the new reinstall include repartitioning the hard drive [translates in laymans terms to probably everything on the hard drive is lost].

In a case where if he partitioned the hard drive to have two partitions. If both partitions were setup as primary partitions [and not use an extended partition for the D drive], XP would be installed on primary partition C and he would put his data on primary partition D. Reinstalling XP would only wipe out the partition for drive C and the partition for drive D would remain intact. Otherwise and normally, everything on the hard drive is lost.

Hopefully, he has an external USB drive or CD disks with a copy of his personal files as a backup.

10. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

All may not be lost. Ted said he does his modding in another OS, I assume Linux. That should mean our sacred modding files are safe, hopefuly he just doesn't have his Linux box connected to the net. Linux has also gotten better at reading NTFS over the last few years. So he should be able to recover his personal data from the XP hard drive aswell.

@Shiningted If you happen to be reading this from elsewhere, one of my 2 jobs is troubleshooting PC's and networks. Can't do too much from over here, but I'd be happy to offer advice or suggestions if their wanted. Data is almost always recoverable, even from a "toast" drive.

Cuchulainn.

11. Allyx

Ted is in fact using Win 98 and Win XP, and I believe he mods in 98, and uses the internet in XP, so hopefully (reinstalling XP aside) KotB should be safe.

12. danimal1968

danimal1968 Member

"Upside? With no internet to distract me, no CounterStrike to play etc, I am free to work on KotB :) As many of you know, I do my modding in Win98, and that is coming along nicely. In fact, we have (yet another) release date for the next release - next Wed, one week from today (got a 5-day weekend coming up). I've got a couple of quests all the way through to completion and a much clearer idea of what I want in the next release. So all in all, its all good."

Our Host!