What's the deal with spells that allow you to "select" multiple targets?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Marceror, Jul 3, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

I didn't notice any issues earlier in my game, but I'm in temple level 2 and spells like haste, slow and cure light wounds, mass are not remembering the targets I select for them in many cases.

I'll select all party members for a haste, for example, and then click on "target these only" and the count shown will be 0/9. So I effectively can't cast the spell. I don't see this on the known issues list, so does that mean I'm use poor technique with my mouse, or something, and am the only one who's seen this issue? Anyone know a way around it?

This is making some key spells pretty much not usable.

2. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I've found that with multiple select spells that if you move your cursor to a black part of the screen (as in unexplored/cant see) it will deselect all of the targets and you have to start over. Very annoying.

3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of those "multiple target" spells have a limited "Area of Effect". meaning that the people you wish to cast your spell on have to be fairly close together, otherwise the spell doesn't work. If you are selecting people to cast the spell on, and you see a broken red circle around someone, that indicates that the person is outside the range of the spell. If you still click on that person, you will get the effect you describe.
    The Royal Canadian

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

And, at lower lvels, you can't cast it on ALL the people in the party. Maybe 5 only, for example.

5. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Yeah, i have noticed this too. At higher levels, you can't completely cast the spell if there are not enough targets. If casting Haste yields 9 targetable uses, as the poster said, and you only have 8 party members, you have to use the last casting on an enemy, or something else that can receive the spell... I started just using scrolls and the boots that grant the haste effect in my higher levels... Is there anyway to cast a spell such as Haste without this issue?

If you only want to target your party members, you should be able to "give-up" the extra uses.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Space bar?

7. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

Space bar, or the green icon that appears over the caster's portrait. Mouse over it and it says "Target only these. #/9". Click the icon and the spell will be cast.

Our Host!