What's the best way to get incremental Co8 updates?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by camelotcrusade, Apr 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Hi there,

Been roaming around the board for days trying to answer a basic question. I'm probably chronically confused, so I'm just gonna ask for directions. Here it is...

What's the best way to get incremental updates to Co8 products like the Front-End or the Mod-packs?

I know you guys are constantly tweaking and improving things due to your general awesomeness... so do you only release updates in the form of big obvious packs, or is there a thread or place I should be going for itty-bitty changes as they happen? For exmaple, let's fantasize that somebody had a fix for halfling monks not being able to use small masterwork quarterstaves proficiently. How might I know about such a thing? Or, let's say somebody figures out how to change the fiendish hawk's portrait to a hawk instead of Pishella's picture, or how to make the little owl summon not look like a town boy.

Just the other day I happened to read about the broken labor camp dialog... and found a fix some kind soul had posted nearby and then I completed it. I like to do incremental updates so I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

2. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Actually, many of the things you've mentioned are in the Bug Thread Lists and Discussion threads. Check out the ToEE forum (under Troika games) and the General Modification forums. There's also general news postings for both the mod and the FE, just added to the forum. Co8 are currently working on the bug lists for the 5.5 beta, just released.

That's one of those things listed in the threads above. I believe it was(is) still a work in progress and that the dialogue fix really shouldn't have been posted.

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Actually that "fix" was to simply restore the dialog to the pre-5.5 version. The new version will probably be released when Co8 5.5 is brought out of beta stage.

As for incremental fixes, the old Co8 5.0 had a Cumulative Mods and Fixes (CMF) that did what you're looking for, but from what I've seen and read, a CMF for the Co8 5.5 or 6.0 might be more problematical as the new TFE-X is more stable, but at the price of being not as "tweak friendly." So CMFs will probably only be available in the form of an add-on pack which may limit their ready availability somewhat.

4. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

TFE-X is very tweak-friendly speaking of cumulative fixes, it has a whole add-on system implemented that can be used for CMFs (KotB uses it already for its patches), I'm afraid there may be other reasons beyond the scope of TFE-X that delay the release of cumulative fixes at the moment.

- Agetian

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Basically it's just because I don't see a lot of point in releasing CMFs for a beta. The fixes for the beta will be manifest when the release comes out of beta. There's also a great deal of further development going on toward the TotWC expansion et al, and I'd rather focus on that at the moment than support mini-releases.

6. camelotcrusade

camelotcrusade Head Boy

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I will check out the bug report form (which I did manage to find again after making this post). I have two more gp to toss into this thread... First, the bug post is kinda hard to find! I clicked on everything but TOEE modding so I recommend you let people know where it is in other places, too, for example in any of the sticky posts on the Temple of Elemental Evil forum (which has the feedback thread on it).

Second, I hear you Gaear... the reason I'm asking is because I don't constantly work in or play this game. I am giving it a run-through now and who knows when I'll be back. But I do like to use the finest and best you guys have to offer while I'm playing, and so that's why I look for mini-tweaks. Still, you're totally right... don't take time away from the greater picture if that's all the time you have. It's a pleasure to be playing the beta, really it is!

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

@ Agetian and Gaear -

I did not mean anything negative by my comments. I certainly appreciate the hard work and fine product you have created. I simply meant that from a player's perspective, the CMF process has changed rather significantly. In the 5.0.x CMF days, when the various modders (or even regular joes like me) came up with a fix for some bug or other, it was posted in the GM forum and was quickly added to the CMF, which was in itself quite clearly an ongoing beta product. Even before the CMF was updated, the individual fixes could often be downloaded and installed by individual users, something which is now not so easy to do and actively discouraged by the active modders. (Yes, Gaear, I know self-modding causes and caused many, many problems and difficulties in the bug reporting and quashing process.) I believe this is what Camelotcrusade was asking about, and I was simply trying to explain from a player's viewpoint why things seemed to have changed.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No problem, Erkper. That's all very true, and as one of the more informed members here, we appreciate your stepping up to answer questions like these.

Our Host!