What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ranth, May 2, 2010.

Remove all ads!
?

What type of new content would you like to see?

1. Low Level (1-4)

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Middle Levels (5-9)

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. High Levels (10-14)

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Insanly Hard Content (15+)

31 vote(s)
    40.8%
  5. Small Additions: Such as Lareth running into the barracks to join the fight, ect.

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Some replies:

2. Someone has MW longspears as I've crafted one before, maybe it was in the Temple though.

3.Before the mod, the NPCs would become bogged down with stupid stuff from their share of the loot. Now they are more like extra party members. Not sure if you can get something in between, but the new way is much better.

3. I thought trolls could be killed by cutting their heads off, or maybe that was vampires. Otherwise you would need to add an alchemist to Homlett for acid potions in case you don't have any fire magic in the party. And you'd need a lot of fire magic because you would have to do 50-70 points of fire damage to kill them.

6a. I've sen archers (pirates) take out a melee weapon if I close on them, most carry both, so not sure where you mean.

8. I'm pretty sure Fong is a mod added content, so not sure how hard it is to add voices.

2. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

Would it be possible to add Flesh to Stone as a Wizard spell? The Gorgons in the Earth node can petrify.

Is there a Light Pick anywhere in the game? I wanted one for a gnome character, but I couldn't even find a normal one, much less a MW version.

Thanks.

3. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Okay, I worded that badly. What I mean is that, in the role-playing game, you can do enough subdual damage to a troll to bring its HPs to below 0, and then you can kill the troll by doing at least 1 HP damage of either fire damage or acid damage WHILE performing a Coup de Grace on it. This is what makes trolls SO deadly in the role-playing game, and why they are SO hard to kill! Usually, trolls will just regenerate back to full health. Not every adventuring party is going to be able to kill trolls unless they are able to perform Coup de Graces by doing fire or acid damage. That's why players fear trolls so much in the role-playing game!

This computer game allows you to perform the Coup de Grace to a troll just by doing SUBDUAL damage WHILE performing the Coup de Grace (such as damage from a +3 longsword, for example). This is a bug. It makes it TOO easy to kill trolls in this computer game.

What I mean is that, in the role-playng game, only fire damage and acid damage do NORMAL damage to a troll. All other types of damage do SUBDUAL damage to a troll. In the role-playing game, trolls have the special ability "Regeneration 5". The following quote is straight from the section on Regeneration near the start of the Monster Manual of the role-playng game: "The Coup de Grace attack cannot be of any type that automatically converts to subdual damage."

Rannos Davl and Gremag sell quite a few bottles of acid in their Trading Post in Hommlet. A friend claims that those bottles of acid are reusable (i.e. if you throw a bottle of acid at a troll, then the bottle is not destroyed. You can just pick the bottle up again after the combat).

You can also buy some bottles of acid in the shopmap (i.e. the starting shop right at the start of the game, before your party teleports to Hommlet.

Sure. Most of the archers in the game probably do have a melee weapon as well. But there are some archers or crossbowmen that don't. A friend claims that most of the human archers/crossbowmen on the bottom level of the Moathouse (who are subordinates of Lareth) don't have a melee weapon as well.

Some of the skeletons at Emridy Meadows wield normal picks. I'm presuming that they are heavy picks if you haven't found any light picks yet.

UniversalWolf, you're right - light picks and heavy picks are even better than the Bolo! I can't believe that I hadn't noticed that before! Imagine a character wielding a heavy pick in their primary hand and a light pick in their off hand! Now that is a character to fear in combat! He could be a gladiator in the Verbobonc arena perhaps?

I've just discovered that the stock of masterwork weapons and armour that Brother Smyth and Otis sell is somewhat random. I just noticed Brother Smyth was selling a Masterwork Heavy Pick (whereas he most certainly was NOT selling that the first time that I examined his stock!). Ye Gods - that Masterwork Heavy Pick is an amazingly powerful weapon!

UniversalWolf, my advice to you would be to check Brother Smyth's and Otis's stock of weapons for sale every now and again in the hope that they might have a Masterwork Light Pick for sale one day.

I forgot to include the following thing in my wishlist for changes that I would like to see in future versions of the modpack:

Hickory Branch:
    ------------------

15. When I fought the Ogre Shaman in Hickory Branch, the Ogre Shaman pretty much just moved over to the frontline of the battle, and kept casting healing spells on dying or badly damaged allies, which kept provoking attacks of opportunity from my fighters, who killed the Ogre Shaman with ease. Considering that the Ogre Shaman has a CR of 9, I thought that it was pathetically easy to kill that CR 9 monster. I wish that either:
    a. the Ogre Shaman has its CR reduced to something more appropriate to its deadliness, e.g. CR 5, or that;
    b. the Ogre Shaman has its A.I. script changed so that it is actually effective and deadly in that battle (e.g. it stays where it originally was at the start of the battle and keeps casting spells while it is not in any enemy's threat area, but then switches to melee attacks whenever it is in an enemy's threat area).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Don't worry about crafting, it won't be going anywhere.

1. I think that's a long-standing bug. Don't think we can fix it. (I assume someone would have by now if we could.)

2. Inventories of most merchants do in fact deviate slightly. Items can have a percentage chance of being there or not at any given time, which gives the impression that other people buy stuff too.

3. Yes, we do need to fill the less-humble-NPCs thing out.

4. Not really a bug, and a non-issue. This implementation was Troika's call. They are the DM.

5. We'll think about that. We have been trying to downsize uber-items in the game (that we introduced initially).

6. Some ranged enemies have melee weapons, others don't. ToEE's AI is very inconsistent - in some cases, if you give an enemy a melee weapon he will automatically switch to it, or act like he's using a melee weapon (run up to you) but then use the ranged weapon. Other times it works fine. The easiest way to get problem ranged enemies to behave normally is to take away their melee weapons. Not sure if this was done in the Moathouse, but it might have been.

7. See #4.

8. Easier said than done. You have to have a competent voice actor record the audio in at least a semi-professional recording environment, otherwise it's cringe time. We prefer silence over cringworthyness. There's nothing that shouts 'amateur/shabby/low quality/mod' more than poor voice acting. We strive to be transparent that way, and even sometimes suceed. :)

9. Neither is likely to happen. I don't think Troika ever really intended a level playing field for ToEE. There are advantages and disadvantages everywhere.

10. See #9.

11. This has been discussed periodically over the years, and may still happen one day. It's much more complicated than it seems script-wise though.

12. We'll see.

13. That's not entirely bad - means you're thinking outside the box. I like it.

14. I agree that they shouldn't rage. However, that's one of the cases where they may be archers or melee troops ... they seem to decide for themselves arbitrarily. So as it stands, there's no way to predict who will be an archer and should not rage and vice versa. Might get looked at more in future.

15. We'll see. The current implementation is the original author's 'vision,' as it were. We try not to change that too much.

Thanks for the input and compliments. :)

5. Templar

Templar Established Member

I don't like lowering experience either, but the removing of the crafting would be a good idea. As long as high end weapons are always there.

6. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

What would I like to see?

More dragons off course.

It's a dungeons & DRAGONS game...

7. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Yeah Dude! DRAGONS!!!

My ranger Aerich DragonsBane and his half-brother bard/ barbarian J'allan UlDragos concur - they are dragon slayers without a dragon to hunt! Favored Enemy: Dragon is about as helpful as the quest reward of the ring that grants special abilities with Unicorns - neither currently exist in the game.... Both are cool from a role-playing perspective, but have little to no application in the game itself.

ANY kind of dragon would be a very welcome addition. I still think that the tale Burne tells about that green dragon in his youth is an opening ... because I think it's still out there. I think they simply drove it off, not defeated it! LOL

I did hear that there is a dragon in the newly released city of Verbobonc ... so that is very cool. Very much looking forward to playing 5.9 NC!!!

Currently the Kron Hills do not have any location to explore... Does the engine have any maps that could be created or altered to simulate a trek up a mountain, and investigating caverns ... "into the wyrm's den" so to speak? Is this possible?

THAT would be cool. ...And it could be that HIGH level content mentioned, after the WOTGS and the heroes have a castle and a town to defend. Suddenly Hommlet is in fear of a marauding dragon sighted in the not so far north... Verbobonc requests the new lords of Hommlet to do their duty and guarantee the safety of the surrounding lands.

Maybe, the quest could be initiated while re-investigating the lost and desolate destroyed town of Hickory Branch after the Orcs "host" has been routed by our heroes... After having becoming the lords of Hommlet and environs, they hear tales of scorched earth and a flying rampaging beast in the north. Settlers have gone forth to try to retake the town from the wild (hey, that's an idea in itself !!! - think of it as Hickory Branch "Respawned"), but have been turned back. Thinking these just tales, but needing to investigate and secure their lands, they go to secure the area once more and discover they are actually true, and track the dragon to it's lair.

Unfortunately i don't know anything about coding for this game but would be willing to contribute in any way i could to creating such an adventure...

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I think J'allan UlDragos has a few great ideas that I would love to see make their way into TOEE.

9. gazra_1971

That's great news!

16. Is there any chance that you could beef up the random encounter adventuring party as well? (because my party killed them just as quickly and effortlessly as the Drow party) (i.e. the "A band of adventurers", comprising of Ikian, Ogavick, Vincent Visionmaker, Neukoln, Non, and Attack Dog).

17. Could you please beef up the encounter with Lareth? (because 1 level 5 cleric against an entire party is not a fair fight). When I played the pencil & paper role-playing module The Temple of Elemental Evil, the Dungeon Master had Lareth leading his men in that narrow corridor before Lareth's room. Lareth kept casting Hold Person at us. Lareth was a true force to be reckoned with!

18. The Witch on the bottom level of the Moathouse Respawn could do with a lot of beefing up because she died way too easily when my party fought her.

19. I also think that every NPC in Hommlet and Nulb dies way too easily except for Jaroo and Terjon. Is there any chance that you could beef them up as well?
    When I played the pencil & paper role-playing module The Temple of Elemental Evil, the Dungeon Master gave me the impression that Rufus and Burne were the kingpins of Hommlet. But in this computer game, Terjon and Jaroo are much tougher than Rufus and Burne. In this computer game, I bet that Rufus and Burne wouldn't live for more than a few rounds against a green dragon or a band of brigands (both of which Rufus and Burne are rumoured to have defeated).
    Also, the Dungeon Master wouldn't let Rufus or Burne join our party to help us try to defeat the Temple of Elemental Evil because Rufus and Burne were too busy building their castle to defend Hommlet with, which Rufus and Burne thought was a higher priority.
    My Dungeon Master made Canon Terjon a level 6 cleric. I'm guessing that my Dungeon Master must have taken some liberties because in this computer game Terjon has way more HP than a level 6 cleric could possibly have.
    The original computer game had a maximum level limit of level 10. Now that the maximum level limit has been doubled (to level 20), there's no reason why a lot of the NPCs can't have their character level (or experience level) doubled to reflect this shift in game balance.
    The only thing that you would need to be careful about are the NPCs that can join your party - if they became too powerful, then you would have problems with game balance where the uber-NPCs in your party do all of the slaying of monsters for you and make clearing dungeons too easy.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  10. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Regarding beefing up people, I believe it is Co8's stance not to change to much of vanilla for difficulty sake. Granted, we have changed things, but making every vanilla person harder just for the sake of being harder makes it less like original ToEE.

The drow and witch are additions, so I think we would be more inclined to change their difficulty.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Exactly.

We'll consider the Moathouse Respawn dungeon witch though, and Lareth might get modded eventually - not ubered up stats-wise, just his scenario. He would be a lot tougher if he fought with support.

12. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Support like a Smith & Westrealm .50. I heard it was Lolth's favored weapon. :yes:

13. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Aren't the 3 spiders that spawn behind you, and the 2 that also jump you on exit from the room considered "support"? fighting spiders in this game is always annoying, considering how easy it is to get poisoned

After smashing through Lareth's guard of about 12 -15 armored dudes, I think it is reasonable that since Lareth hid the whole time that he is alone in his room. IF he had charged out and joined the melee, that would be a better solution... if a harder fight is looked for. He could use his clerical skills to enhance his troops against you, making the fight harder. BUT ...Maybe he could still retreat into his room, magically locking it with a bad-a$$ trap that you spring when trying to follow...?

Putting "hidden troops" in the room after the fight, or in that tiny "office" of his would not be a good solution.

Hmmmm.... if a longer drawn out fight with Lareth and support is looked for, maybe ... after you follow into the tiny office, Lareth is not there, and has gone down a secret trapdoor. the party ransacks the room, during which time Lareth marshals some hidden forces ...

they discover the trapdoor, follow, and are attacked by Lareth and his handpicked elite troops - this would involve scripting a new hidden exit, and another location where the trap is sprung. could be decent though ... Lareth and some drow bodyguards? summoned undead from the previous fight? those damn spiders, still spawn behind you so there is no retreat? what would comprise Lareth's scariest dudes...?

14. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Man, I like the way you think sometimes. :evilgrin:

15. gazra_1971

In hindsight, I agree with everything that you have written in the above quote, J'allan UlDragos. The epic fight with all of Lareth's lieutenants, sergeants, and brigands in the room outside Lareth's quarters is tough (having Lareth in that combat as well would make the combat very difficult - but then I REALLY like very difficult combats. Don't forget that Lareth is the "Boss fight" of the Moathouse. Boss fights are supposed to be the most difficult fights in a computer game). Lareth's small room has little room left for any more opponents to fit in there. It's hard enough to manoeuvre around in Lareth's room as it is with a large party of characters. The monstrous spiders that Lareth summons do count as support and are annoying and do poison a lot of your characters.

I guess that my main problem with the current scenario is that Lareth stays in his room the whole time (when he would clearly hear the sounds of combat coming from the room outside his room). Whereas I think that the most realistic scenario would be that Lareth would come out of his room to investigate the commotion of your party fighting his forces, and he would then take charge of his forces in an attempt to defeat your party.

I haven't read the original module The Temple of Elemental Evil that this computer game is based on, so I don't know if Lareth was originally a coward who shirks responsibility or not.

I guess that the current situation with Lareth in the computer game is the best way to handle it. It would be difficult to initiate his dialogue with you and to handle the unique trigger where he bargains for his life when his HP are low if you did his situation any other way. So I withdraw my request to alter Lareth's situation in the computer game - it's okay as it is.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
Our Host!