What would you like to see...

Discussion in 'Models, Animations, and Particle Effects' started by vampiricpuppy, Dec 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

Worg and Winter Wolf textures for use on the current wolf model :)

I'm also working on a frost salamander... but i've no idea how to tackle removing the flames (or changing them to air particles rather than fire...)

so, salamander is on hold for now :D

Attached Files:

2. vampiricpuppy

roughing out a mind flayer, proportions are still off...

Attached Files:

3. vampiricpuppy

even more beholder stuff :D pretty much done to death now lol

doomsphere (to be used at 50-75% alpha maybe?)
    death tyrant alternate
    gauth alternate (green, a la bg2)

Attached Files:

4. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Hey puppy.... anyone ever tell you that you were a damn good artist??:rock:

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hey, Vamp-pup, I finally saw the phase spider skin in-game, It looked kinda orange and stripey? so I added an alpha channel, now it looks cool. :)

6. vampiricpuppy

hehe thanks ax :D

@allyx, any idea what might've caused the orangey stripeyness to occur?

I've yet to really try any actual 'modding' creatures in as such; just been modelling to my heart's content, so i dont know what might have caused it.

Was it the fact that there was no alpha channel made for the skin? and did you do anything funky with the alpha channel, or did simply adding it solve the problem?

One of these days im going to have to slog through shiningted's stuff and figure all this stuff out :p

And if anyone else can think of a re-texture of an existing creature that is really begging to be done; sing out :D

7. vampiricpuppy

tried my hand at some golems... not sure if im happy with them yet though :p

Attached Files:

8. Allyx

Yep, just adding a black alpha channel fixed it, the orange stripey thing could be some thing to do with the Umber hulk .tga that was also in the black widdow folder? I didn't see the file referenced in the .ska/.skm/.mdf files, but I didn't search extensively. It just looked wierd.

9. vampiricpuppy

hmmm... am i to take it to mean then that the alpha channel is being used as a reflectivity map rather than an opacity map?

Probably not a question that can be answered with our current appreciation of SKM/SKA files, but it would be interesting to see whether the alpha channel in the tga files can have multiple uses...

the current black widow model has an alpha channel, shown below, might be interesting to see what effect re-using that alpha would have on the new skin. obviously it would need to be re-tailored to the new texture, but its more of a curiosity thing.

Not really suggesting you try this allyx :p just more thinking out loud, wondering if anyone has any theories :D

Attached Files:

10. vampiricpuppy

brain golem, cos they make me laugh :p

Attached Files:

11. Allyx

I did anyway, :p

The default alpha channel (if the tga doesn't actually have an alpha channel) seems to be white (making the skin invisable).

The black alpha channel seems to give a more solid colour that doesn't change as the model moves

I gave the Phase spider skin the same alpha channel as the Black widdow (edited a little for the eyes), this gave the skin a shimmering effect as is moved, the eyes and hourglass shape on it's underside were that orange/red colour that it was without the alpha channel.

I'm gonna play with it a little more though until I get it looking right. ;)

12. vampiricpuppy

It also might be worth recolouring the umberhulk reflect tga being used by the model perhaps :D

interested to see what you find out :p

13. vampiricpuppy

reworked clay/stone golems... could always just use earth elemental texture maybe :p

Attached Files:

14. vampiricpuppy

Well as has been said; currently anything that has more than one bone (ie. animates) can't go in. We need a plugin to allow us to import animations from a relevant 3d program - until that time, all the new models and such are 'hoping for the best' :p

If we do get such a plugin, its a matter of creating all the relevant animations for the creature and making sure they gel with the game properly - attack animations fire when the creature attacks for example. I've yet to look deeply into the files as i said, maybe cuchu/allyx etc know a bit more about this :p

After that the creatures stats/abilities need to be created, and then the modders have a new creature to use...

As Ted said, some creatures could be effectively modded into existing mods as soon as they were ready; Ax was talking about city of the spider queen which has a lot of creatures that dont have models at the moment.

Other than that, its more what people want to see :p

If you're keen to keep churning out models without animations, and you're stuck for ideas, anything on the summon monster list is probably a safe bet, and will no doubt get some use without a specific mod having to be written to include it :D

15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You may know this already, but what's been done here for a while now is this: re-skinning old things to make new ones. Size can be adjusted to compensate, and viola: new monster. An example of this is kobolds. They are minature brown skinned lizardmen. Another is dragons. They are highly modified ice lizards. There is (or was) a plan to shrink down umber hulks for fire beetles, too. With character races, this is different. I believe there's a limit, so one race has to be done away with to make a new one. Possibly, there's some exception to this I've forgotten - but that's what I recall on the matter. So, I'd spend my effort on new skins for existing things rather than making stuff that, in all liklihood, will not ever get used.

Our Host!