What would you like to see...

Discussion in 'Models, Animations, and Particle Effects' started by vampiricpuppy, Dec 18, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Could you import something like a jpg of the head of a T-Rex or Allosaurus and use that? One thing I've seen in the modern versions of some graphics drawing programs--I recently tried several apps--is the big new thing is importing photos and using part or all of what is imported.

[EDIT]
    Oh and, btw, the new dragon graphics are totally cool looking!.. :largeclap

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Alaric Rising: The single best thing I can suggest is to let this one stop. (friendly suggestion)

IMO - Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but that does not require anyone to listen to it. When you want to make a point, just make it. I would suggest if someone does not like your point and argues against it, that is their opinion albeit different from yours. You can counter someone's point and be in the right if it is justified. But, do not attack someone on a personal level. I would recommend you not continue to argue the point, unless your point is clearly in the right. You will know when your point is clearly in the right when others back up what you state and the point you are making in a thread. This is a community and is a small, tight community at that. We, typically, have an understanding amongst each other, individuals as a collective, and we collectively pursue and promote ideas together. Everyone has differences of opinion, there's a balance to work toward. Finally, find a niche - learn to fit in and be productive as a contributing member.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This matter seems to have been settled behind the scenes, so yes, I'm more than happy to stand down. Let this be the end of it.

@VP - sorry for my part in taking your thread off on this frightening detour. ;)

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@gaear: Are you hijacking threads, again? *laugh* :p

5. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

I use jpegs for reference a lot of the time already krunch :p if you mean actively applying the texture off an existing source, its possible, but would probably end up looking a bit wonky - but you can never have enough reference to go off :)

I've added a bit more definition to the head geometry; started adding those ridge things too.

Attached Files:

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I was hoping for something with a face that looked like this...

Attached Files:

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I want a return to the good ol' days when white dragons looked like this:

Attached Files:

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@ShiningTed: You are gonna frighten and give Allyx nightmares, again.

9. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

Sorry for posting off topic, but since this is my last post here, I think that it's OK.

@Gaear
    As I said, it's OK to refer to my work as "bad" or crappy. However, this

is a little too much, I think. (I take it this was aimed at me, since my work was the issue at the time). I never said that I have talent. However, to tell someone, "you don't have talent, go do something else", is in my view rather anti-educational, particularly if it is said to someone who just started getting involved in the specific thing (in our case modelling) 2-3 months ago, and who has only produced two models. The time spent producing these models was late at night, after work, so perhaps fatigue had a part to play, too.
    I said "anti-educational" because I considered the thread as a means to educate myself in 3ds max, and perhaps produce some good work, by means of this education. I was not aware that the thread was reserved for experienced modellers only. Was there a warning that I missed? If so, I apologise.

I would also like to point out, Gaear, that, at no time did I express the desire to see any of my work implemented in the game. Ask Shiningted, if you wish about how I handle rejections of my work. Some time ago, I produced a file containing a quest, which was, I admit, rather crappy. Shiningted merely pointed out to me that he could not include it in the KotB. No problem there. There would be no problem if, even heavily improved versions of the minotaur, the guard, or anything else I might produce were to be excluded. I would be happy if I could contribute even a spare part (say and arm, or a leg)to the effort.

I think that you also mentioned that work such as mine would prevent people from continuing to take Co8 seriously.

1. Do you have any tangible evidence that my work actually ruined or posed a threat to the integrity and reputation of co8?

2. I would like to point out a possibility which you might not have considered. My less-than-average work, might encourage other non-talented modellers to offer their services to the effort. Although we might not be able to ever rise to the level of the more experienced modellers, Gaear, did you ever consider that a group of non-talented modellers might, with proper coordination remove some of the workload of the talented modellers, and thus speed up the modding process and even improve its quality, because the talented modellers would have less to do?

I think that this sort of mentality, ie counting the value of a member according to the number of the posts the member makes, is counterproductive to say the least. A 15-year-old with nothing better to do all day may have 20 million posts, and just say nothing of value all day. Does this means that the 15-year-old is somehow "above" a 40-year-old mature man who will post once a week and will have something important to say? Does this mean that the 15-year-old has a right to tell the 40-year-old to shut up? I think not.

Finally, to the people who have tried to help me improve:
    @Shiningted. You are the best, man. It has been an honour and my pleasure to have worked with you.
    @Alaric. Thank you for supporting me, man. (even against a person who has more posts than you do, whatever that means.Don't worry. Some people tend to think that large post size is what counts, rather than the quality of what is being said.)
    @vampiricpuppy. Thank you for all this information. It has really been a pleasure knowing you.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@ioannis -

It looks like despite all my disclaimers, I've still managed to hurt your feelings, and for that I'm genuinely sorry.

I've read your above post very carefully and, assuming you're ever going to log back on here, I can see two possible courses of action. We can initiate a back-and-forth on the many points you've made (either here, in some other thread, or in private), in which case I'd be happy to explain some particulars of my statements in this thread that you've taken issue with. I suspect that's something you're probably not too interested in now though, judging from the tone of your post.

The second possibility is just for me to state in general that I actually think you're right about most of the things you've mentioned above. Regardless, you shouldn't leave Co8 on my account, because the truth is that I don't in any way represent some type of formal authority here, speak for the community, or make decisions on what goes into or stays out of mods on Co8's behalf. All that leaves is any personal issues you might have with me, which would really be quite negligible. I'm just another nobody with an opinion, in that sense. I can reassure you that I'm not 'gunning' for you, and I would even happily keep my nose out of any future endeavors you might undertake here, if that would make it more attractive for you to remain.

Hope you're still around to read this and respond.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Here's a most excellent foto for you to reference. This head of a T-Rex was was made using a computer-controlled machine.

Check out the cool pic, below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  12. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

Ok, well i've modified the shape a bit; going mostly by the image cujo posted, bear in mind that the cheek membrane, teeth, spines/horns/frilly bits blah blah would all be done by the 0-depth planes with the transparent areas alphaed out; im only talking about main geometry at this point.

Do we prefer a wider, canine snout like cujo's pic, or a slimmer t-rex snout like krunch's?

Attached Files:

13. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I like CUjo's pic... it is what has been portrayed since the beginning...
    :evil_laug But who am i to stand between a rabid rottwiler and a blood sucking puppy... I only have a couple of axes to throw...

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Below is a picture of a Black Dragon from the D20SRD page on Black Dragons.

Attached Files:

15. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I would think this would be a good reference especially since this probably was done back in the renessaince era. Looking at it, it is not from the Gothic era

and then compare it's body structure to a Kimodo Dragon's body structure

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
Our Host!