Welkwood Bog [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ShadowDeth, Apr 28, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

First, great mod. I thoroughly enjoyed the addition, the story leading up to the bog and the innovative RP choices (You can actually run from encounters!). :thumbsup:

My question is : What's the deal with Mr. Zombie Mathew? (Mathial, I forget his name)

I work my way to his crypt, encounter him and his trusted bodyguards and under the assumption he was a powerful Lich I try my anti undead measures. I rebuke the screen, he doesn't glow. I then try healing him to cause damage, and my cure light wounds fizzle.

I then, drop a sleep on his group - trying to only get the Lieutenants and he goes down? I coup de grace him and finish the battle.

Maybe I didn't read the Guard Captain's story well enough or missed something, but this supposedly undead monstrosity was taken down by a first level sleep spell.

Was he in fact living? If this is something I will find out later in the game through dialogue or encounters, feel free to skip answering me - but now I'm curious what his deal was.

Edit - Just killed the Hill Giant Guardian. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

He is partially undead as far as the engine is concerned, totally undead (with a small caveat - his 'transformation' was not completely successful) as far as the story is concerned. I am going to change him to be completely undead in future.

He is not actually a lich, though he believes he is. As Kwerd will tell you, many of his humanoid underlings are even suspicious of this.

3. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

Gotcha.

I was just worried I glossed over some dialogue.

Great writing though! That's the sort of adventure the game is really lacking.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks. Most of the Mathel backstory was penned by a Co8er named arkhamresident, who wasn't really around long but I guess was providentially around at the right time. ;)

5. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Yes, the welkwood bog's story is reminiscent of the best fiction writer in human history, H.P. Lovecraft. With a name like arkhamresident, the correlations jump out at you. A wingnut know-nothing fooling around with a magical necromantic book and experimenting with it's dark knowledge, only to end up completely hosing himself, which is all about the Cthulu Mythos. Oh, and he's also insane, which is another huge nod toward's MR. Lovecraft.

6. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

So we need a late game respawn filled with The Old Ones?

Our Host!