Weapon Glow Effects

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by TempestZen, Nov 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Another quote from SRD:
    "At the time of creation, the creator must decide if the weapon glows or not as a side-effect of the magic imbued within it. This decision does not affect the price or the creation time, but once the item is finished, the decision is binding."

Maybe there aren't too many manufacturers of magic weapons around, and the few that are really dig that glowing thing. ;)

2. TempestZen

TempestZen Spellsinger

Thank you all very much for your responses...I have not made any headway as yet, though still looking on the Net. Not a modder myself, so I can't play with the system.

As before, if I find anything I'll let y'all know :)

3. Aeroldoth

Aeroldoth Established Member

Personally, I like the glow.

4. mrbunnyban

mrbunnyban Member

Heh. When I saw my first magic weapon (Lareth's staff o striking), my first thought was, "Oooooh. Shiny!"

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I also like the glow. Though it would make sense if some weapons, like Skole's spear, didn't glow.

6. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Maybe, if this is possible mind you, someone can make it so that a successful Appraise check will identify the weapon as magical. I mean, the whole point of the Appraise skill is to determine the value of gear, right? If you know what you're looking for, you'll be able to tell if a weapon is magical or not by studying it.

7. TempestZen

TempestZen Spellsinger

ooooo...I just wanted to add, this site is simply AWESOME!...wow...the level of work that has gone into some of these mods is impressive to say the least, well done :)

:hug: Yay for everyone!

8. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Hmm that's a really good idea, though i do not know whether
    anyone would be able to do this. I mean Troika didn't include
    the Lore Skill for some reason. But if this worked you would
    have to make appraise a class skill for Wizards and Sorcerers.

9. mrbunnyban

mrbunnyban Member

Ah, I thought the game was missing something. Why on *earth* isn't there a lore skill? My precious money that I want to use for crafting is getting whittled away casting Identify - it's not funny!

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Crafting wands of identify are by far the cheepest way to ID items, and potions can be ID'ed by read magic.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  11. TempestZen

TempestZen Spellsinger

I have been searching through the net, but honestly, this site seems to be the most comprehensive for ToEE resources. I have not been able to find anything relating to the removal of in-game glows around weapons :(

I'll keep looking, and trying different things in-game, though I'm not confident I will be able to find anything. Thanks so far for your participation in this thread :)

12. mrbunnyban

mrbunnyban Member

I'm not reeaaaallly going to have to spend a feat in Craft wand just to save money for IDing, am I? Maybe wands are useful for spells that are nice to spam though. Wand of Bull's strength? Wand of cure light wounds? Wand of *FIREBALLS*? Hmmm.

Shucks, I don't even know what spells to pick up next for my wiz due to limitation of scrolls at shops. Is there a list of spells sold at the shop somewhere?

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

We get asked that a lot. I think the answer is no, but then I am also under the impression there is a scroll-seller in the game who sells one of everything (there is now).

As for removing the glow, have a look in the innards of the game and find what causes those specific items to glow. Its gotta be there somewhere.

And as for lore, well maybe I am just dizzy from implementing Wild Empathy, but surely it could be done? You folks who want it, look at whats already in the game and think of something that could be then modified to approximate lore's effect: after that, its just a simple matter of adding a script to identify the necessary items that would trigger the Lore check (ie look for flag OIF_IS_MAGICAL, I dare say).
    Hands to yourself please. :bored:

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If we remove the glow from magical weapons, is there a way to make the detect magic spell actually detect them (I mean on the map, not in the character's inventory)?

Craft wands is especially useful now you can craft wands that cast 10d6 fireballs ;).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats a great idea Al, but I think those Detect spells are well and truly rooted. I tried to use san_spell_cast to manually detect a Detect Evil (ie put it on the subject rather than rely on the broken old spell, for a specific RP moment) and it didn't do anything.

Still, don't take my word - people might wanna test this idea. It sounds like the most sensible solution if we can get it to work.

Our Host!