Weapon Finesse, what weapons are they Supposed to Work With?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Jeremiah, Jan 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

I know for certain daggers work with it.

Short swords aren't getting the dexterity modifier to hit (this is with latest official patch 3 and Co8 3.04 plus latest temple.dll available last week). At least not with a halfling. I mean I can have my halfling rogue/ranger equip the short sword but his to hit bonus with one does not reflect the same as a dagger all else being equal (enchantmentwise that is).

I heard that spiked weapons are finesse able weapons too.

Also with the latest fan made 3.04 fixpack, Spugnoir is an awesome NPC to have considering he has craft wondrous items and Craft Magical Arms and Armor at level 2!!! I decided to recruit him when my party all reached level 7 (my cleric and wizard are squatting there while the rest are now level 9). So I just have him tag along to rack up xp quick, make some awesome items to sell Burne as well as keep some for the party (rinse and repeat). I levelled him up to three but it seems like the game is hardcoded not to let you accrue xp up to a certain level without levelling up. He maxes out at 9999xp and won't let him accumulate more unless you level him up (so I just use up all the xp to craft items). Found the same with my wizard and cleric not getting more xp past 35999.

2. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

Weapon Finesse only works with light weapons for your character's size category or for special weapons which are designated as finessable. For medium sized characters, shortswords, spiked chains, daggers can all be finessed.
    Halflings are small sized characters and therefore can only finesse Tiny weapons. The only tiny weapon in the game is the dagger.
    The implementation here follows 3.5e rules strictly.

From my end, the build which I sent Nomad has the bug already corrected. Spugnoir has extra crafting feats because the original protos.tab from earlier modders which I took it from had it for testing purposes.
    It is NOT supposed to be so.

It is fair to make it a necessity to level up when able to. Abusing squatting for more XP was possible with earlier DnD RPGs and was railed against by most fans as being unrealistic.

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Thanks for the answer Zhuge. I guess I didn't want to have to start up a medium character from scratch just to see which weapons are finessable LOL.

Is the fix for Spugnoir going to be incorporated soon? Not that it matters, Craft Wondrous Items comes at level 3 and I level him up to that at least just for survivability's sake anyway. It was my main reason for picking him up.

Our Host!