Weapon Finesse Question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by kultrva, Dec 11, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. _doug_

_doug_ Established Member

Sounds like a reasonable house rule. I may give implementing it a try.

Sitra Achara likes this.
  2. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Halflings are poor melee combatants, but a rogue's main damage doesn't from his weapon.
    Consider: Dagger d4 vs Short Sword/ Rapier d6 (average 2.5/hit vs 3.5/hit). Finesse gives you Dex to damage (for dagger only if Halfling). Sneak attack for a Rogue gives d6 extra for every odd-numbered Rogue level, which is a bit situational to start with but by the time you are on the second or third level of the temple should be available anytime you need it.

3. Nilgar

Nilgar Member

I still haven't replaced my halfling character, in fact the prebuild halfling rogue, I didn't bother create one, default point buy was far to her roll, and she was looking fine.

At level 2 I picked a fighter level and finesse feat, later realized only dagger would fit, but it was a bit late to load back. Sneak attack seems easy to trigger, it seems that flanking has a very high chance to trigger it, and the game allows a great flexible control on initiative. This fighter level is probably another bad choice delaying level 2&3 of rogue.

But yeah, I'll continue with it, and later will count on sneak attack.

4. Nightcanon

Flanking should always trigger sneak attack (except on immune enemies like undead and oozes). In addition (spoilers):
    Spellcasting allies can help you deal sneak attack damage more often. Glitterdust is good for this at lower levels; Greater Invisibility is so good that it's one of the stronger level 4 spells for reliable damage. It's worth crafting a wand so it is always available (and if your Rogue takes a single level of Assassin she can use a wand of Greater Invisibility flawlessly without recourse to Use Magical Device).
    Newly added to Temple+, Swashbuckler/Rogues with the Daring Outlaw feat get full sneak attack progression, better BAB and HP, and pick up Int to damage, at the expense of trap-handling skills and Crippling Strike.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  5. Nilgar

Nilgar Member

Spoiler? Looks like a rule. :) Ok some enemies are immune, moreover for me it's not always clear why I haven't sneak attack.

It's like AOO, I still don't get the point, clearly one trigger per turn for many and some not that rare and not looking special seems have more or a lot more.

6. Nightcanon

I updated my spoiler since you saw it, I think (was trying to remember how to do a spoiler here, then kept losing the updates as I went to another tab to check stuff) .
    Attacks of Opportunity are one per round, but the Combat Reflexes feat gives you your Dex bonus to this number. Works best with reach weapons.
    The Craven feat gives you +1 per character level to sneak attack; Deadly Precision feat means you never roll a one on a sneak attack dice (effectively converting d6 to d5+1, or +0.5 extra damage per dice).
    Deadly Defence gives you another (non sneak attack) d6 to damage when fighting defensively (-4 to hit), which at higher levels may make little difference to you chances of hitting- I just checked my (human) Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 12/ Fighter 1, who has +24/+24 to hit dual wielding Holy, Thundering, +2 wakizashis, or +20/+20 if fighting defensively. This being TOEE, in certain circumstances a -4 to hit makes absolutely no difference (on a not-totally unrelated note, a Halfling with the Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword feat can use a bastard sword two-handed).

7. Nilgar

Nilgar Member

@Nightcanon
    Thanks for the details, I intend skip the crafting, I hope it's playable without.

I failed make work TemplePlus with Wine, install says it requires a non admin install, and just copy and launch allow launch the config app but with many big drawing problem that seems manageable but the save of option and launch of the game crash.

For Combat Reflexes yes that's the point for enemies with multiple AOO. I just quoted in another attempt of party creation, woo I should step in and stick to it, but I screwed up too much the last longest try.

Our Host!