we need: option to "murder you for your stuff"

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, Apr 21, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I have started an evil party. I recruit every adventurer willing to come with me, take them out of town (into deklo grove or the moathouse)...

Now I want to murder them for their stuff (and XP but thats metagame... so lets not go there.. I also do it even to adventurerers who it is more profitable to leave alive, like turuko and his friend)...

anyways, it works great, especially from the ring of invisiblility (10,000gp) and the enchanted weapons, shield, and armor that the elmo has... Also I find it to be an excellent alternative to the fedex missions. (also more deadly. I lost one of the guys to elmo... so I went to cuthbert church and stole a scroll of res, which I used to res him... he now has -2 con and I am fine with that... this is how the dice fell)...

the problem is that the easiest most practical way to do so is to kill them with friendly fire (they don't resist), then remove them from party, and loot them. (you even get XP when doing so)...
    However that feels like cheating... so instead i tell them to leave the party, then I attack them (they don't teleport back to their starting spot until you leave the area)...

this is awesome, it lets me have a fight to the death with them in a secluded area... really cool and appropriate...
    however there are some problems:

1. Some people (example, Furnok) will ONLY leave the party in nulb or homlet. I tried doing it in a hidden spot in homlet but it didn't work, the whole town went hostile... So I am forced to use "friendly fire" which means he isn't fighting back.
    2. If you do make them leave the party first, their corpse will teleport back to their "normal location"... so after murdering elmo for example his naked corpse teleported to the enterance to the inn and nobody seemed to care (likewise for the other persons in the inn)... and ass the day cycles changed the corpse teleported from location to location until it finally disappeared.
    3. It would be more in character for my lawful evil party to actually tell them what I intend to do before doing it.

So... all of these I think would be solvable via a dialog option... The dialog option should show up ONLY when not in a town (aka, not in nulb or homlet) and be something to the extent of "Now that we are away from witnesses, I think it is time for you to die"...
    it should also depend on their alignment a little. If you are a "good" party and travel with darley, you could probably not be robbing her but say... kill her for the greater good...

I guess it is possible to roll all of these up into a dialog branch...
    The "time for you to leave" dialog each NPC has should be changed to say "*remove from party or attack*" under which the following dialog options appear:

1. *Cancel*
    2. "it is time for you to leave" or whatever their ORIGINAL dialog for kicking them out of the group was.
    3. "For the greater good, your evil ends here" *attack*
    4. "Now that there are no witnesses, it is time for you to die" *attack*
    5. *attack by surprise*

Perhaps 5 can give an initiative bonus. Even if 3, 4 and 5 are NOT scripted to do ANYTHING at all different mechanically and are the exact same thing, they should all be there for roleplay and immersion purposes.

But the thing is, you COULD actually have mechanical differences... for example, using #4 on anyone or #3 on a non evil person could both increment a global counter. When it hits value N (say, 4 times), your next travel should trigger a random encounter of militia who try to arrest you for repeated murders... specify that a scout followed you because they noticed the death of your previous companions is suspicious and the scout reported seeing you murder your last one and messaged the militia to send a force to arrest you. and so on. Perhaps even have someone stronger with them (say, burne or rufus or tergon or some such... note, escape should be an option).

And perhaps when you are at N-1 and leave homlet you get to roll some survival and spot checks to catch the scout that is following you.

Note that while those dialog options should be limited to outside of nulb and homlet (or maybe allow slightly different dialog in those towns with appropriate consequences?), nulb shouldn't be sending militia after you... simple a case of word getting around, and if you kill someone in nulb the people of homlet find out about it, while if you murder them in the woods nobody does.

Also note that not ALL of these ideas need implementation, or need be implemented right away... but it would be great if the least the basic ability of "attack now" was implemented even without any other qualifies, just kick them out of the party, set them hostile, and don't care whether you satisfy their conditions (in town) and don't teleport their naked corpse to town.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  2. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

You can always send them on suicide missions and loot their corpses.
    I did this once to a minataur who I accidently charmed permenantly.

3. taltamir

but then you don't get the XP :p... also the role-play experience.
    I mean sure, you COULD do that, you could also use the other two tricks I mentioned... but none of them really "fits" right for certain party alignments.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

But that's "metagame", right? :p Sending peeps to impossible missions to get rid of them fits LE very much. CE would doubtfully even recruit anyway who doesn't fit in anyway, and kill them openly in the city. NE, not so sure what they'd do...

For the NPCs who are willing to leave the party temporarily, tell them to "wait here". Then attack, and all's dandy.

Your idea could work, though, but it looks like a lot of work. Good luck with it if you embark on the difficult road of modding, though!

5. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Neutral evil would toy with them, suck all the despair and feelings of worthlessness they can out of the person(s), steal the stuff worth stealing, have friends kill friends and then make undead slaves of them all, after carving their wizard's sigil into their body so it can be seen clearly.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's considered EVIL? :scratchhe

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Yeah, I think Necro forgot to mention group rape ^__^

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's not as fun as it sounds. After the first 3 or 4, you start getting tired and it just sort of becomes a chore. :tired:

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

As to taltamir's original suggestion, I say good idea, not likely to be implemented anytime soon. After 5.8 comes out we may have more leeway again on looking into stuff like this, but right now, realistically, we are pretty much in 'text lock' mode as far as new ideas for 5.8 go. That goes for bugs too; we've got to put a lid on it at some point, and right now I'm working on the final touchups for Hickory Branch and Ted is doing the same for Moathouse Respawn, which takes surprisingly longer and is more intensive than you might imagine. So we don't have much room atm to fix more bugs or implement new feature requests. :)

10. taltamir

no hurry :p. thanks for considering the idea.

I can't wait to see hickory branch... as for modding things myself. I think I will get into modding, I have been making lots of very detailed bug reports, I think moving on to giving bug solutions is a natural progression for what is my favorite game.

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, nobody was talking about FUN. Just Evil. And Evil (capital E) is a job like any other ... :bored:

@Gaear: Yeah, concentrate on the extra content guys, I can't wait. Plus, TOEE will hardly ever be more stable than it is now, unless you introduce new bugs :poke: Also, how's Reactive Temple going? I'm looking forward to that one more than anything else.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Reactive Temple is Sitra Achara's mod; I haven't heard anything about it lately.

Re: bugs, I know you're being facetious, but the reality is that there will be bugs. The point of these betas working up to v6 (the non-beta) is to chase them out, as we don't have a large internal testing force standing by to do that.

13. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I think it needs to be pointed out that Evil and Fun need not be at odds. Usually they go very well together, hand in hand.

14. taltamir

agreed...
    Heck, the whole idea that you are committed to Evil with and perform it to the detriment of yourself is ridiculous.. It becomes altruism. you selflessly sacrifice for a higher ideal... it just so happens that your ideal is the idea of Evil.

This is way to cliche and self contradictory.

15. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I've played vanilla long enough before I discovered 3.0.4, so yeah. As far as I'm concerned, most of the bugs are gone ^__^ It's also a lot less buggy than certain AAA game releases recently, lol.

Well, I was hoping you knew something... It'd better be integrated in 6.0.0!

Our Host!