Warp Wood!

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Jesse Heinig, Aug 23, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

WARP WOOD!

This project happened because I noticed that my druid had a blank level 2 spell slot in her spell list. After digging around, I found that there was a rules file for Warp Wood, but there was no script and the entry in the spell.mes file was blank. This meant there was a hole because the game had nothing to show!

I decided to take a straightforward approach to Warp Wood. According to the SRD, Warp Wood renders Small or smaller objects warped and useless, and can hit larger objects for a higher-level druid at a certain rate. To make this fit the engine, I turned it into a multi-target spell whose targets must be within 20' of each other, with one target per druid level. The spell then proceeds to make Will saves for each of the targets. Those who fail will have normal wooden items stripped from their inventories - wooden shields, spears, arrows, bolts, bows, and clubs.

Right now the spell is probably a little TOO powerful, since a 3rd-level druid shouldn't be able to destroy a quiver of arrows, a longbow, a longspear, and a wooden shield all on multiple people (1 item per level limit). This is therefore just a test version. In the future I will try for a version that bursts out from a central target and iterates through destroying items until the druid runs out of levels (items).

To use this mod:
    Place the .py file in your /data/scr folder. Be sure to delete your old .pcy files!
    Place the .txt file (not this one) in the /data/rules/spells folder.
    Place the .mes file in data/mes.

Start a new game and revel in the ability of your third-level druid to shut down missile fire from the enemy!

- Jesse Heinig

Attached Files:

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Warp Wood was written by Darmagon. and left out of the 5.0.0 release at his request, as there wasn't nough time to get all the bugs out of the spell before release day.

3. Jesse Heinig

Ah, I had no idea. That's what I get for coming in super late. :)

I wrote a new version that I am uploading now, which actually makes a 20-foot burst and iterates through the creatures in that burst, checking for wooden ammunition, wooden shields, and wooden missile weapons. It can only hit a certain number of items based on the druid's level. I tested it a few times and it seems to work pretty well thus far!

Maybe my new version (included here) can be of some use to Darmagon for his version in the next release.

- Jess.

Attached Files:

4. Jesse Heinig

I also just wrote a simple script for Polar Ray (based on a slightly-modified Ray of Frost) and tested it, works fine. But I don't know what else other people have been working on! Does anyone have a link to stuff that I shouldn't bother with?

Thanks,
    Jess.

5. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Just out of interest:
    Does attended mean anything you've got in the inventory (you are kind of wearing a backpack with the things)? Or would a bow in the inventory receive no save? Hmm, on second thought the spell can't be targeted on things not visible to the caster, right?

6. Jesse Heinig

Technically, the Warp Wood spell lets you target "objects," instead of having a burst. That means that ideally it would target kinda like the Greater Magic Weapon spell, where you click on someone, then click on a weapon that he has equipped. I guess I can try to rescript it to do that instead. It would be an interesting way to warp bows and crossbows and wooden shields. Plus that way you could select the same object multiple times and someone would have to make multiple saving throws.

Basically, you have to target items that you can see. For the sake of simplicity, the current version just bursts and goes through wooden items that people are carrying. We'll see if I can make it even more specific . . .

7. Jesse Heinig

Just made a working version of Heroes' Feast . . . I feel like I could keep going for a long time ;-)

8. Jesse Heinig

I have updated my Warp Wood spell to what I feel is my best work to date, included below. The changes are as follows:

- The spell has a 20' area effect.
    - It will only affect items that the caster can see (i.e. items readied by creatures, or doors and containers).
    - Wooden missile weapons, wooden ammunition, and wooden shields are potentially destroyed.
    - Any item held by a creature gets to use the creature's saving throw to avoid warping. This checks for each object individually.
    - Locked wooden doors or chests can be unlocked with this spell, and the doors open, too. This is a nice added bonus but it is balanced by the fact that it doesn't open magical locks nor does it work on non-wooden portals and containers (so knock is still better for opening things).
    - The spell can only affect a certain number of objects, based on the caster's level. Higher level casters can potentially warp a great many items/portals/containers all at once.
    - Be warned, you can hit your own party if you're not careful. It would be a real shame to destroy the 500 arrows in your ranger's ammunition slot.

Attached Files:

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sounds like a mighty fine effort.

If Sokaijin is able to get his 'bash things open' idea working, we could have it both ways - wooden doors would either warp and spring open, OR swell into the frame, requiring them to be bashed open with brute strength (per the rules) :)

10. Jesse Heinig

That would be really great! I hope Sokaijin can do that. It sounds like it would need a new flag: OPF_STUCK, perhaps. That might mean a DLL hack. Or not; I'm not sure.

On my end, I just finished a version that goes back to picking targets (so you can choose which characters you want to target, or what items you want to warp), and that is able to warp melee weapons now too. You can warp an enemy's wooden club or spear, and it takes a -4 penalty to attack rolls, permanently.

I just need Sokaijin's door-stuck code, and the ability to append a change to an item name (so I can put "(warped)" on melee weapons that are warped) and I'll consider this spell done and in full compliance with 3.5e.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The name of an item, critter, or character that displays above an item, critter, or character when the item, critter, or character is moused over is from a numeric value in the protos.tab file referring to the description.mes file from which is for all the same items or critters in the game.

The way to go might be to make a general spell effect name for warped wood where the spell effect name would display as a spell effect when the item or critter or character who is carrying the item is moused over, i.e., like when a monster is dazed or stunned or silenced and the spell effect name displays under the hit points or total damage when moused over showing dazed or stunned or silenced. This should be practical to implement.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  12. Jesse Heinig

But if this is so, then how come when I use the Craft Magic Arms & Armor feat, I can give an item a custom name? It becomes some sort of customized special-case item that isn't referenced to the protos.tab, I guess a "mobile object." Have to learn about those . . .

P.S. Just finished Horrid Wilting, too. Even with the bonus damage on plants & water elementals.

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Jesse Heinig: Two words come to mind...ask Agetian.

Our Host!