War of the Golden Skull Release: General Commentary and Discussion

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ranth, Aug 17, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Avatar, you can do the defense or invasion of Hommlet from any alignment. There are no coded barriers to what you can do right now.

Necro, do into the warehouse room in Verb (where you killed the acolyte) and search in the back of the room for a secret door.

Also, the worldmap may be fixed because you were not close to the castle in Hommlet. You only get transferred to the castlemap (with worldmap errors) if you get close to the castle.

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I'm rather confused on how to access the Orb stuff. What castle and where is it? I haven't found anything yet. No clue here.

3. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Bring the orb to Burne and give it to him. Then everything will fall into place.

4. wizgeorge

I got dialouge from the Hextor priest and was able to do the fights and stuff. Extremely difficult and the castle map is awesome. Most definitly for very high level parties or a small army. Actually played real well. Ranth did a great job on it.

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

6. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Since discussion seems to have died down, can we sticky this and put it in the Game Modification forum? I would prefer that this doesn't get buried by other threads.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

'Other Downloads' would be where it would go, but if we put it there all discussion will cease. Do you really want that?

Alternately, I could just post a separate thread with link there and leave this one here.

8. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Just a thought. Wouldn't powerful good people Reincarnate or Resurrect the Hommlet leaders? Perhaps the successor modder could add something to the dialog files to reflect this.

I could not continue with the mod because my party did not have enough gold to complete the castle. 13th level and only 30 grand to show for it. The NPC women are wearing the rest of it.

Ah, perhaps if they sold Terjon's stuff, they would have enough dough.

A small annoyance is the feeling of being whisked away after killing the old man on the road. No time to search him for stuff??? But still it is very interesting work, Ranth

Edit: Raising the Hommlet defenders, except for maybe Jay, causes CTD if you later try to visit them at their respective locations.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  9. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

I have to say that this is a very good add-on, and I'm looking forward to playing the evil path next, having just done the good one.

Now, I hate to nitpick but I have came across a few problems:
    1. Jaroo doesn't actually die. I went back to the grove and there he was, like nothing happened. Which turned out to be handy as I had a spell permanency issue. (damn globe of invulnerability). Terjon disappears though, which is good.
    2. Once the castle is completed, the camp icon is yellow. While I did find it funny becoming under attack from undead from within my own secure castle; I don't really think this is intended.
    3. Also, What's with the door in the quarry which sends you to the entrance of the same quarry? And why is there about 4 dwarfs in the top left corner which don't join in the fight and are not hostile?
    4. This last one I don't really think is due to war of the golden skull be here it goes. Quicken spell didn't work at all with my level 18 sorcerer. I can apply it to the spell but when I cast it, (from the higher spell slot) it just casts as a normal spell using a full round action.

I do hate to complain as this is really good mod; well done Ranth, I partially like all the new maps.

10. Basil the Timid

4. Quicken Spell is normally not usable by Sorcerers in RAW, 3.5 core. Using metamagic feats requires a full-round action. Thus, without special splat book feats, Quicken is not usable.

11. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

Ok, fair enough. You can tell I don't normally play sorcerer's; or know RAW at all even.

12. Basil the Timid

Is there any way to begin this mod after killing Zuggy? It seems that after the epilogue, I can see my party for 1 second before the menu comes up.

13. Lum Levits

Lum Levits Member

Can I install this new mod and expect my current saved games to be able to play through it? Or do I have to start a new game?

14. wizgeorge

Not sure, but when I played it I was in the middle of a game and played with the group I had at the time. It didn't work out well because my party was too weak and I had to resort to console cheating to stay in the game. It's high level, tough stuff and you need a really strong party to do well. A party of 8 really strong characters is really needed, however you do it.

15. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

You may be able to add it on to your existing games as I described in the initial post, but no guarantees. Once you install the add-on, you can play the normal game however you want to gain levels/items. However, do not lose the golden skull or else you wont be able to do the add-on by giving it to Burne or to the cleric of Hextor in Verb.

Our Host!