Wannabe Cam-hos Apply Here

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shiningted, Jul 13, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hippies were basically homeless druggies. :smoke: You are merely emulating the fashion aspect of their culture unless you are dropping acid or shooting up as well. You still bathe from the look of things, so there may be hope for you yet. Please don't delve any further than the local 'Target' store in quest of this illusion. You can probably explore the musical aspect, too, without much danger...just don't believe all of the lyrics :headfones ; or the hype, for that matter. It was only romantic to those who have fond memories of the experience.:no: And there are many whose memories are bad ones.

2. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

In case anyone actually noticed I was gone... I recently took a 10-day trip down to Chiapas, Mexico. Here is a picture showing how TINY the people are there. the little old man in the middle is the local guy. It isn't difficult to tell that I'm not from there.

Attached Files:

3. Lord_Spike

Looks like halflings trying desperately to defend against a Bugbear...:poke:

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Homeless druggies is a nice name for vagrant stoners.

5. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

Well, I'm not homeless.

Not all hippies did that stuff. From my removed understanding, many hippies tried to achieve the spiritual experiences granted them by psychadelics without the use of drugs. I'm not into destroying my body or my brain, they're nice things, not to blow my own whistle :p

Hah, if it makes you feel better, "I won't." ^_^

6. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

The "hippie" movement actually had little or nothing to do with drugs, though of course the drug use got the most press. It was actually a counterculture, anti-establishment movement in a time when people, particularly youth, felt disenfranchised by the status-quo establishment.

In the early 60's the movement was characterized by political action in the field of Civil Rights, music, and commune living. By the late 60's, many of these communes had indeed become corrupted by drug use and sales, and not for spiritual reasons.

Most of that info comes straight from memory; a history graduate, my focus was on colonial America, so further reading and correction of my poor memory is suggested. :)

P.S. -- There's a group of people who call themselves Freegans, a group (lifestyle, really) who some have called the modern day hippie. Do a google search for Freegan -- these folks are a little nuts, but I have to give 'em props for having the cajones to live like they do; like the original hippie culture, drug use is not an intrinsic part of their lifestyle. :)

-Grey

7. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

You are exactly like a friend of mine...and look exactly huge (you know, -2 to AC :))

Do not underestimate small people lo bueno a veces viene en envase pequeño, hombre:aaaa:

8. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

Oh there is no underestimation going on here. I loved the people there. They were awesome.

And actually some of my closest friends are "vertically challenged" and THEY pick on ME with the short jokes. Good times.

9. kouns2112

kouns2112 Felan

Right on, man!:peace:

10. Sachmo

Sachmo Knight of the Crown

This has turned into the great hippy debate.

As far as drugs are concerned, you don't have to be a hippy to be taking drugs in todays age. Most of the serious drug users I have come across, Peace Love and all that stuff, is furtherest from their minds.

Anyway, great pics!

11. Lord_Spike

IMO, It got a lot of that press because their "poet-laureate" was writing the history as he lived it himself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson

...all the while trying & experimenting with everything available legal & illegal under the sun.

I will agree that not every so-called hippie used drugs; but then were they really a part of that sub-culture? They may have been part of something else during that time period, and styled themselves a "hippie" because they simply grew up during those times. This is exactly the point I was making with WHN; dressing like one doesn't make you one. Neither does emulating a portion of their culture, or merely coming of age during a turbulent time whether you took drugs or not.

Edit: Anyway, they are great pics of someone dressed up like a hippie. Happy Halloween! :goth:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  12. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

Hunter S. Thompson wasn't a hippy though; he identified himself more with the Bohemian/Beatnik culture. To be fair though, he did respect the political ideals of the early hippy movement, but he noted, as I did above, that the movement (which began with the Beat culture) turned to drugs and lost its ideals. The article he wrote can be read here: Thompson Article

You're definitely right though, nothing can make a person a hippie, nor truly experience the culture as it was, perceived or real. We can, thankfully, experiment with portions of a cultural movement. As for hippie fashion, it'd be great to see it make a comeback; make it nice and easy to identify the people to get Mushrooms from! ;)

-Grey

13. Lord_Spike

Just where have you been hiding!? :Being_a_s It's never gone away, really...just slowed down tremendously. One need only buy some tickets to a Greatful Dead or Phish concert to realize this. Seriously, it has been enjoying renewed popularity for several years now, and is becoming increasingly popular amongst the younger crowd.

http://www.that70sshow.com/index_home.htm

14. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

samgjUJSAFGHSAF. I didn't say I wanted to be one, just that I am enthralled by the stories and lifestyle of those who were hippies. You guys are debbie downers.

15. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Here in Argentina is a pretty popular fashion y'now...and the Rolling Stones look too...and even a mix of the two! :eek:mg:

Our Host!