Voicing the Voiceless

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Feb 13, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

btw we need a dirty harry voice, maybe for a KotB character

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Sorry Zorn. The voice really does sound good. It just took me a while to get used to Black Jay's lines in that voice. I agree that Spike and you are the authorities in this matter.

Keep up the good work! :)

3. Zorn

Zorn Member

OK thanks. I just wanted to make as many people happy as possible, but it was slowing production way down. Now, let me get with Spike and review a few things and crank out some voices. The child tests went very well looking to share some shortly.

Cerulean the Blue, do not apologize...I think you will see my statements were in support of your comments not against them. I just needed some better working dialog. But now, I believe Spike and I can get 'er done with some help from Gaear. The comments are fine by everyone 'cause now...I can ignore them.;)

Spike GDit! Where the hell are you?!!!

Cujo, Dirty Harry? You got it! Heh...I got some time hang on.

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I'm RIGHT here, Zorn...guess I'm gonna need to spend a day or two with you now, huh? Mebbe after Roundcon & graduation. BTW, Boromir is around, so you know what that means...!!!

Oh, yeah...who you callin' dipthong?

:wyatt:

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Question: How good are you at imitation, Zorn? There are a few voice sets for critical NPCs that have had additional dialogue modded in, such as Burne, Lareth, Jaroo . . .

When a voiced character suddenly goes silent, that screams to the casual player, "You're playing a mod!!!" If I posted some of the original stuff for reference, could you give it a shot?

Also: I'm planning on setting you guys up with what should be some fun sets - monster NPCs! I can modulate audio to make it sound monsterish, much like you did with Clarisse to make her sound ghostly, but am I correct in assuming that your own gear can do lots of whacky modulation beyond the Clarisse variety?

6. Lord_Spike

*Best D'yermakin accent*

I done tole you, Gaear, mon...Zorn, he be de Man of a tousan' voices; that ain' noocat...it bees him.

Gear? he gots dat, too, mon!

:bebi:

7. Zorn

Zorn Member

8. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Well, Zorn, I just spent a few hours listening to Turuko. After that, I bet your Fran Drecher would sound really good.

Gaear, can we have Zorn revoice Turuko entirely? Please?

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

that deamon harry is awesome, sound just right for Brother Fist one of the NPCs in KotB except he's a monk so that makes him only have a +1 to attack rolls with the longbow in question, so do you feel lucky.

10. Gaear

Well C-Blue, a couple things . . . first, I used to hate Turuko's voice as well. Thought it sounded completely amateurish. But after talking with Dr. Ted and listening to it a great deal lately, I've come to believe that that's how the voice actor intended it to be. Discilplined, measured, monk-like. There are a couple lines where he's a bit more animated, so it seems that the actor could do it, just didn't.

Second, I really don't want to throw away existing stuff. There's plenty (and I mean huge amounts) of unvoiced dialogue out there waiting to be Zorned. I have no doubt that Zorn could do a much better (or at least much less irritating) Elmo too, but :shrug:. Elmo's here to stay. I think that waste not want not is the way to go with this stuff, especially considering file size.

That said, Turuko happens to be an NPC who has several unvoiced lines. (Oddly, these are all Troika original dialogue, not Liv stuff.) So maybe at some point Zorn can try his hand at Turuko anyhow. :)

11. Zorn

Zorn Member

The child test is complete look for recordings posted shortly. And of course if there is anything you need recorded by a 7.5 year old Lil Girl let me know.

That deadline of the 25th I promiced May get by without those last two voices though I am working on one now. I really wanted to get Curufin in here to record. I will make further arrangements with him this weekend AND I have recruited another voice talent and will be getting that test done maybe as early as this Sunday! Got another 8.5 Year old girl coming in for a voice test this weekend too.

Lady Zorn wants to try to take a whack at the female apprentice.:errf: We'll see what Spike thinks of the recordings.

I knew once the spring hit, I could get things cooking...So, Im behind but ahead.

12. the_arkane

the_arkane chaos

zorn
    deadline is now may 2nd,just incase you did not hear about it. (lord-spike)

13. Lord_Spike

Having JUST now read the post wherein this is discussed, I, too am aware of it.

14. Gaear

Thanks for the update, Zorn. I wonder . . . Kent, Liv's little NPC boy who welcomes each party to Hommlet, has a fair amount of dialogue. Much of it is fairly sophisticated, as it is actually Liv talking to the player. Aside from the difference in sex between Kent and your girl(s), would having a real child voice this NPC be effective, or just cute to the point of smarminess?

Also, just for my information, when you say 'test' in reference to files you post here, as in "child test,' 'voice test,' etc., does that mean that I shouldn't consider it the finished product?

Looking forward to the latest stuff.

15. Lord_Spike

If I may...I interpret his use of the word test to mean he's using us for guinea pigs to see if we like it or not.

Our Host!