Voicing the Voiceless

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Feb 13, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

or so she says, she used to go bugger off straight away when you bought her back to hubby

2. Zorn

Zorn Member

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks again Zorn, I'll DL these shortly . . .

BTW, reading back a ways . . . we found the node Balor's voice files (they were wrongly numbered, which was causing them not to fire), but Ted's Balor Frank is on the list for future voices and can be bumped up if Spike is in town and feeling Balor-ish.

Which leads me to ask, how much further do you guys suppose we can go with this? I understand that you're low on recording artists, Zorn. I haven't listened to Valden yet, but from what I've heard of the others, I don't think you're at risk yet of duping voice styles (being the man of a thousand voices, as Spike says ;)). Besides, having done a lot of examination of the voices originally done by Troika people, I'm beginning to see that their voice actors handled many different characters each, i.e., Zert is also Hedrack, Lareth is the assassin guy from one of the vignettes, Burne is also one of the PC voices, etc., etc. It doesn't seem that this is apparent to the casual listener.

Then again, the larger question is probably whether you're still having fun doing this or not. Hope you are. :mrhappy:

4. Zorn

Zorn Member

I have some new volunteers lined up. Getting them organized already...Valden is a new Guy. Seeing as Valden is a plain sort of fellow. He may have been good enough. The same guy did Barkinar but I picked up some noise so I'm bringing him in again. But I wont get the same guy to do Deggum or Falrinth because of the association and possibility of hearing from them in relative game time. My voice can get very "different" but its hard to fool the listener if all the npc heard from the most often are done by the same guy.

Otherwise we'll get them done. There is excitement brewing for the evil temple dudes. And then the monster npc will be the most fun. So I'm good, still having fun. Just want to share the fun with my buds if they would just get over here and sit in the chair. I have another woman coming into do some voices, you have any more female scripts?

5. Gaear

Sure. How many do you want?

Also, I can deal with noise of all kinds on my end, if that lessens your load at all.

I like Valden too, btw. :thumbsup:

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I'm trying to line up a run down that "S" river at the zoo with the yakerz. Gotta learn that one while I can...before Chuck-town beach becomes the norm. If we go, it'll be 1:00 Sunday. Should be done between 4 & 5. I can come do some Balor after that...Curufin ought to be along. Wouldn't dream of doing either without him. Once I know, you'll know. :grin:

Valden sounds great, too!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  7. Zorn

Zorn Member

Lemme have two Girl scripts and a Balor for Spike please. Maybe a sneak peek at that Gnoll and Giant?

I have people lined up for the Evil Temple dudes. Looks good.

BTW that noice on the Barkinar voice was a stuck mouse click that actually left a signature on the feed. So i will need to do a redo on just a few lines. Trying to get the guy back to finish it up for me. It wont take too long.

You want a gnoll voice sample?

8. Gaear

Yeah, a gnoll voice sample would be cool.

I'll work up two additional female character scripts for you tonight. Plenty of whores and other women of ill-repute in Nulb. Remember you still have Pishella in the hopper. Frank the Balor's file is already attached in the first post in the thread, and I'll post the gnoll and hill giant ones too. There are a lot of other monsters available too, if you like the sound of that. Fun with modulation!

With a few exceptions, you'll start to find that the number of lines per character will be fewer as we go on, as the major voiceless characters are getting done. I.E., Ted's Balor has something like ten lines. This might actually make it more intersting for you guys, spending less time on more voices instead of more time on fewer voices, and it will mean more voices for the game. Yay! ;)

Almost forgot: um, does your female voice acting talent have a workably open-minded attitude toward all this? The reason I ask is that there's a lot of lesbo-related dialogue among the women of Nulb, for example. I hope they'll understand that this is a fairly serious endeavor and is not intended for the creepy satisfaction of a bunch of stereotypical basement-dweller gamers. Nothing really x-rated in there that I can recall, except maybe with Ted's sheep, but plenty of 'I prefer sleeping with other women' type lines. If need-be we can avoid those characters.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hey Gaear, don't forget there's a couple of voiceless female prisoners in the temple that I'd appreciate getting done I can't remember where I posted the Verbobonc voice list, the 5.0.0 beta thread I think.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

hottie1 (Strawberry Blonde) and hottie2 (Brunette, I think)

Hottie1 wants the orc prisoners released and Ronald the Cleric is like, "Nuh-Uh".

11. Gaear

OK then, here are dialogue files for:

Frank the Balor
    Gnoll Leader from the Moathouse
    Kella as Hill Giant
    Jade Empress
    Mona

Jade Empress is C-Blue's opening trader character, and as such is not a module original. She's a good candidate for voicing because she's the first character that everybody who plays the mod is going to see every time they start a game. Takes away the you're-playing-a-mod feel.

Mona should be a lot of fun. We'll skip the lesbians for now.

These are all rather short sets except for Mona. Let me know if you want more.

Attached Files:

12. Zorn

Zorn Member

13. Zorn

Zorn Member

I was just checking the balor file and it seems to have that weird buzz on it again. does any one else pick it up? I have regrounded since and all the current recordings seem so much better since. Should we do it again?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  14. Zorn

Zorn Member

15. Gaear

It was there Z but I zapped it in a matter of seconds. No need to re-do. Nice, btw. :mrhappy:

Quite understandable. I thought Kella in her hill giant form was just basically a regular old male hill giant though. Was there a need to girl her up? Of course, I bow to the module-master's knowledge . . . ;)

Also, remember that when voicing monsters variety is not as much of an issue, due to the great amounts of modulation that can occur afterwards.

Our Host!