Voice Acting in ToEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Marceror, Oct 7, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I had wondered if the new voices had been recorded with no indication of why the character was saying it or what they were responding to. There wasn't a lack of talent, but rather the delivery seems at odds with the situation at times. Not that I don't appreciate all the hard work you put into this, but I'd love to hear what you could do with a second shot at these voices when the lines are in their proper context.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I think the new voices implemented in the game are just fine.
    I would not say you are on crack, but between buzzed and stoned, yah maybe that I would say.

[EDIT]
    No one gets paid anything to do any of the modding that is done.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :thumbsup:

Bear in mind that there are often a variety of things the NPC could be responding to with each statement. Many are multi-purpose. So doing a thorough job with this could be a bit more complicated than it first appears, i.e., you can't just cater to LG with a goodwill-sounding statement of "How may I help you?" when a suspicious tone might be more appropriate for CE.

No need to stir the pot here, captain. Marceror made it quite clear that he wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Honest feedback is the only valuable kind, really.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Gaear: Okay.

5. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

Wow, I had thought this post long dead and forgotten. As Gaear mentions, the last thing I was trying to do with this post is ruffle any of the modders feathers, or insult anyone. I guess one of the dangers of commenting on a game that has a significant portion of its content created by fans, is that you stand to offend some of the fans.

The point of my post had very little to do with Co8, as it applies to the unmodded game as well as the modded game. ToEE is a game that I spent about as much money on as I spent on Baldur's Gate 1, 2, Icewind Dale 1, 2, Planscape:Torment and Neverwinter Nights. I picked it up off the same store shelves that I could have purchased any of those other titles, and I had hopes and expectations for it that were similar to those I had for the others. My comment was really, hey, what's up with this voice quality in this professionally produced CRPG being so inferior to every other CRPG I've ever played.

The fan made additions are as good or better than what shipped with the game, and I have very much enjoyed what they've added to the game. I think that my earlier posts have been careful not to knock the fan made stuff, so, please, don't take comments I made about the Troika content and mis-apply them. I bought the Troika game, so I have a right to my expectations. As for the fan based stuff, this, I downloaded for free. So I have the right to say thanks and show my appreciation, and if I don't like what's being modded, I have the right not to play it. Apologies if my post was taken the wrong way. :(

6. Zorn

Zorn Member

I think the modding is to be praised. I could not even guess the effort put out by those who can do such things.

I don’t know where this will all go. What I can tell you is; it will would only get better from here. My education course work ends this semester and I will be back with Theatre people again. As a matter of fact I think Costuming…means more females! Now as unnerving as that may sound to some folks it could be a real bonanza for Co8. Could be a bust.

Go ahead and tell me something sucks, I will either fix it or not. But I certainly don’t mind the feedback and will not get offended…as long as I get to make excuses. Is anyone interested in a thread being started that would compare certain recordings? Like one accent over another kinda thing?

7. whatsername74

whatsername74 The Poison Woman

Ooh, yes. That'd be really good :)

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Could be a lot more bust(s)...Fw-fw-fweeeet! Cuu-jo! Here, boy!:dance:

Ahem...if youda wanted dat, youda asked for dat. I'd say you've got a green light.

Our Host!