Vigilante Violence.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hugh Manetee, Apr 12, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Thanks for the info on the .50. I was pretty sure it was a different round. The M2 HB is essentially a light auto cannon. I wouldn't even want to fire it's round from the shoulder.

I don't hunt with a gun, but I do own several. They not for self-defense either. If someone came in my home, I doubt I would get one, though that would depend on the circumstances. I don't think guns are good self-defense. They are better for distance work, and almost all self-defense situations are close range.

I am a 28 year veteran of the Guardian Angel Safety Patrol. I've trained Angels for almost that long. SEPARATELY from that, I am also a 4th Degree Black Belt in GM Kim Soo's Cha Yon Ryu Martial Arts. In fact, my rank test was last Saturday.

Neither guns nor Martial Arts are necessary for self-defense.

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I didn't really like Watchmen - it was way too long and slow paced until the very end, and not only were the "superheroes" not superpowered (not a bad thing in itself) but most of them were more psychotic than the villains they beat up. The Comedian was a rapist mass murderer, for crying out loud. I did like Rorsach - he reminds me of Necro here - or, at least, Necro wants to be like him.

I thought at least two of them had superpowers - other than the blue man, one guy literally caught bullets in his hand. This is not a naturally-occurring ability in modern-day mankind.

3. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I've never seen the watchmen but I find it easy to believe that someone created a do-gooder based on my personal philosphies.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'd take a shotgun any day myself, but meh, that's just me. :shrug:

Truth. Avoidance is always the best strategy.

5. erkper

Oh, Rorsach is no do-gooder - he goes around finding rapists to castrate with a meat cleaver. Or baby killers to beat to death with a hammer - after they tried to surrender. He's all about punishment, preferably in a slow, painful, and bloody way, rather than justice. You'd like him.

Seriously, Necro - you'd probably like the movie a lot, if it isn't too slow for you. The heroes are mostly just normal people who have simply had enough and decided to take care of things themselves.

6. Necroticpus

You're confusing me. It sounds like Rorsach is the epitomy of do-gooder. He does things that actually deter criminals from doing crime. Superman and all them other pansies just want to talk to the criminals, find out the reasons why they commit criminal behavior like that they came from a broken home, weren't loved as a child and/or don't take their meds regularly and try to "rehabilitate" them. It's not the criminal's fault, you see. It's always something else that their irregular behavior can be blamed on.

I think I may check out the watchmen. I think all brutal criminals should be kept in the sub-basement, nailed to a large wooden table with railroad spikes, flay off all of their skin, season generously with salt and have sessions of electro-therapy using an extension cord plugged into the wall with the other end cut off and stripped leaving exposed wires to tickle their fancy.

Thanks for the ideas!

7. GuardianAngel82

You WILL like Rorsach, but he has killed only twice. The rest are okay. The Comedian isn't too nice.

My son and his half brother insist I'm Rorsach because of a incident when their Mom and I were married about 25 years ago. A fellow entered a downtown parking garage elevator (I was stupid, I know) and started to rob me. I didn't realize he was armed until the police searched him. I sort of went off him before he was ready. He should have had his piece out BEFORE he started talking.

My ex has always laughed about how the guy was trapped on the elevator with me, which echoes a scene from the movie.

Come to think of it, it absolutely was an 'Attack of Opportunity'.

8. GuardianAngel82

My son and I saw 'Kickass' tonight. It was okay. It reminded me of a Tarentino movie with better character development.

9. erkper

I guess we have different definitions of "do-gooder", cause to me, Superman is the epitomy of a do-gooder for exactly the reasons you outlined. But regardless, you seem to have a pretty good grasp on the character of Rorsach.

And GA, while Rorsach may have only killed twice in the movie, as I recall (which could be incorrect as I only watched it once quite a while ago) he had a long trail of bodies that predated the movie events. Isn't that why he was on the run from the cops?

10. GuardianAngel82

You got it backwards. The two I was talking about were BEFORE the movie. The guy with the dogs was a flashback. And yes that's why he was wanted by the police. Rorsach's killing spree was in the prison during the movie.

I do NOT think Rorsach is the epitomy of do gooders. He is a violent sociopath. But he restricts his anti-social activiies to cock roaches, and only for a purpose. And most importantly, he DOES act for good. This is unlike most people, who let suffering continue all around them.

Superman is not the epitomy of anything except children's comics. Children should have an ideal of what things are good, but that all powerful crap is a very bad message.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  11. Necroticpus

While waiting for my seller to send me my director's cut copy of the watchmen from e-bay, I've been watching clips of it on youtube. I have decided that I am going to court and have my name legally changed to Rorsach. No front names or back names. Just Rorsach. My kid is almost at the age of majority. When he gets there, then matters can be stepped up and live the life of the do-gooder, without super powers or utility belts or any of that hocus pocus.

That Night Owl dink in the movie reminds me of Deflator Mouse from The Tick and that woman is American Maid. I haven't figured out what's up with that blue alien freak yet though. I think he's a neutral guy or something, sent to study earth's heroes? I had Ozymandius pegged immediately though. No gray area there. Didn't see anything about The Comedian though.

Our Host!