Video for RA Salvatore fans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sirchet, Feb 8, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

How close is Melbourne to Sydney? I expect you may get a visit form the Shining One after that comment, VP. At the very least, you'll not get a part in his movie of The Silmarillion when he makes it. Long after KotB is completed, of course. It is likely to be Australia's greatest contribution to the world's film archives since the Mad Max Trilogy, and you'll have missed out! Too bad, because you realize they'll need set designers, costume creators, and all manner of talented artists. I personally plan to move there for as long as it takes to film the epic, so I can play the role of Tuor. Turin is too tragic for me, and Beren...well, I'm not famous enough for him.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I am now the proud owner of J.R.R. Tolken, "The Silmarillion" edited by Christopher Tolkien and illustrated by Ted Nasmith :joy: After spending a few hours of reading it I'm not sure if I just enrolled in a history of the Middle Earth class, or stumbled onto a wealth of information on the races and creation of Middle Earth. Either way I can't seem to stop reading it.

btw........my next paladin will surely be [Tulkas the Strong, whose anger passes like a mighty wind, scattering cloud and darkness before it.] quoted from afore mentioned book:p

thanks for the tip Lord_Spike
    and Clark Ashton Smith is next, (shining one tip)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  3. Lord_Spike

VERY Nice! I'm somewhat jealous...

http://www.tednasmith.com/silmarillion/TN-Eol_is_Led_to_the_Walls.html#eilttw

Here's a picture of the Original "Dark Elf" about to be tossed from the walls of Gondolin. It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

4. sirchet

Eol he names himself, and he is a tall elf, dark and grim, of the kindred of the Sindar..... is what the book says. I wounder if Sindar is the first dark elves? More reading required, though it is a hard read..........almost like reading a text book or the Bible, (no disrespect meant) just that it's phrased the same.

btw..........I discovered folded up in the back of the book a map of Beleriand and the lands to the north, pretty cool map. I could scan it and offer it, if someone might want it to use for modding :shrug:

Lord_Spike: I very aware of the sudden stop syndrome, being a retired paratrooper and all. :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  5. Lord_Spike

Dark elves were those that refused the summons of the Valar, and never went to Aman & behld the light of the trees, hence "dark". Eol was dark in that sense (Sindarin), as well as in his heart (evil). Many elves were dark, but very few were evil.

Paratrooper!?...why aren't you a ranger, then instead of a paladin? :beer:

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Theologically, we might wonder if this is the moment that doomed Gondolin?

I plan to have Idril give a long speech on forgiveness at that point etc - totally in keeping with the original subtext - but I digress.

Sirchet - the beauty of the Silmarillion is, it literally gets better the further in you go. Although really there are no low points once Melkor is unchained, and you meet Feanor - definitely one of the top 10 characters of all literary history, comparable to Hamlet etc.

7. sirchet

I shall continue reading, without a doubt.

@Lord_Spike: Funny you should say that, I was with the 2nd Ranger Battalion, 75 Regiment for my career, (Rangers Lead The Way) so you could say I'm dual classing, (older version of DnD reference):p

8. Lord_Spike

Not funny at all, merely an educated guess.

You are officially invited to our Co8 PnP Dungeon Festival :drunk: , if ever it should come to pass. I suppose we'll have to get together someplace like California, though, so all o' them persons dwelling upon Islands in the Southern Hemisphere won't have to travel as far as they might otehrwise have to. Is California a central location to Australia & Europe? Ag & Allyx will be put out if they've got further to go than Cujo & Ted.

:rant:

9. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

me i keep going back and reading David Edding's stuff over and over as i never get tired of it :). ive read lots of fantasy books but very few draw me back to them again and again.

10. sirchet

Quote from Lord_Spike, (You are officially invited to our Co8 PnP Dungeon Festival , if ever it should come to pass).

Invitation gratefully excepted:joy:

I think it should be held at Medievil Times here in Florida, really cool show and dinner plus we could get a conference room for gaming. They have special deals for frequent "Royal Guests" like me and the misses.

btw......we're not royalty we just signed up for freebies :)

Here's the link if anyone is not familiar with the place, I know it's just a wish but if it came to fruition I would be happy to handle all arrangements.

http://www.medievaltimes.com/theshow.htm <-------link to Medieval Times

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Geographly Malaysia is a more central location for everyone except americans (thats north and south). Columbia is more central if we ignore the asian group at co8. :p

12. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Ah, I think I've heard about that place. They frequently do jousts and the like, doing Medievil-style entertainment. I heard it's pretty awesome.

Our Host!