Video for RA Salvatore fans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sirchet, Feb 8, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Where as Drizzt himself can be a bit moody, sensitive, and quiet (mostly self-loathing because he keeps getting other people into shit because other people won't leave him the hell alone), there's always his alter-ego, the Hunter. He's as badass as it gets. A cold-blooded, heartless, ruthless killer.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

He's the one with the axe, right? Who's the dude with the hammer, then...'cause that's a little confusing. :crazy:

3. ShadowDragoon

Wulfgar. He's a human barbarian from Icewind Dale. He's Bruenor's adopted son. Long story.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Yup, the short guy with the axe and beard. In the stories he's always quick to anger and it's almost impossible to earn his trust. If you havn't read the Icewind Dale trilogy you should give it a look see.

5. Lord_Spike

He stole that name from me! I had a first edition wolf nomad NPC with that name in the (very) early 90's...bastards! :rant: This was years ago, when Zorn had moved an hour west of here to work & first met his future spouse (Lady Zorn). I created an adventure she could play with us set in the Burneal Forest. My barbarian was somewhat leaner, darker, and hairy-er. Not Conan strong, but with the speed, agility, and savagery of a wolf.

Perhaps I should; just can't quite bring myself to do it. The closest I ever got with DnD based stuff was something Gygax wrote - the Gord stuff. I think I read one of those. Unfortunately, I was more used to Robert E. Howard at the time, and it just was not the same. To this day, IMO, no one equals him for a sword & sorcery tale. But, Michael Moorcock is a good (great) second. Tolkien tops them all for epic & tragic, though. I really think I'm going to start H.P. Lovecraft soon. All this EEG stuff has got me feeling my darkside a bit, and I want to feed it. Besides, it's on Mr. Gygax's suggested reading for DnD, which I've never read.

6. ShadowDragoon

You sure you weren't copying it from him? ;) Those novels were first published in the late 80's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Icewind_Dale_Trilogy

But, perhaps you should give Salvatore's Forgotten Realms novels a try. He's been on the New York Time's Best Seller list quite a few times for his novels. People just love his work. In some of his earlier novels, he uses corny phrases a bit too often, but they are still excellent stories, imo. And besides, it never hurts to go to your local bookstore and read the first chapter or two of the book to see if you like it before you buy. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  7. Lord_Spike

You never pass up a chance, do you?

Yes; considering I've never read any of R.A Salvatore's work. It's origins are in the Old English (saxon), and I'm quite certain I got it from there. Haven't I said J.R.R. Tolkien was a favorite author of mine HOW many times? That name was in print long before you first read it in the Icewind Dale saga. What do you want to bet Mr. Salvatore's a fan of the former Oxford Professor of Anglo Saxon, too? As I also said previously, you might just want to read some of Tolkien's works (especially the Silmarillion) to find out about these things.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Quote from Lord_Spike ;(The closest I ever got with DnD based stuff was something Gygax wrote - the Gord stuff. I think I read one of those. Unfortunately, I was more used to Robert E. Howard at the time, and it just was not the same. To this day, IMO, no one equals him for a sword & sorcery tale).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you about Robert E. Howard, I'm the proud owner of all 13 original stories he wrote featuring Conan. I don't look at RA Salvatore's work as DnD type writing, it seems to deep and the characters are well defined. I think if you had time to read the Icewind Dale Trilogy you'd probably see what I mean, it has alot less focus on Drizz't and more on the whole group of adventurers.

btw.....I will definately check out the Silmarillion. Is that the name of the book?

9. Lord_Spike

10. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

if you want to try a new series Spike you might want to look into Robert Jordan's wheel of time. he use to write a few of those conan trade novels that were popping up for awhile. the last book isnt out yet but so far its an awesome read

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I envy your being a first-time Lovecraft reader. His stuff can be pretty disturbing, less in a Stephen King horror type way than in a sickness-underneath-the-everyday-veneer-of-normalcy way, although he gets a little out there with his 'elder gods' stuff. The Shadow Over Innsmouth is probably one of the most genuinely frightening stories (Novellas?) I've ever read.

For some reason I always lump Ambrose Bierce in with Lovecraft. Bierce has his head a little closer to the ground, but both employ a similarly melancholy undercurrent throughout. Hope you don't particularly believe in happy endings. ;)

12. Lord_Spike

Both books are a collection of short stories. The reading of them reminds me of how Gygax describes thing in the dungeons he's created. If I still like them when I've finished, I'll move on to Cthulhu. :evil:

13. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Being a professional linguist, I do respect J.R.R. Tolkien very much, and yeah - Silmarillion is a book, and a really good book, I'd advise you to read it! If I remember correctly, it's this book that has all the neat Quenya and other words listed in the end with translation, and so on. (yeah, Tolkien was cool because he invented so many languages with actual grammar rules so you could learn them if you wanted to).

- Agetian

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

As a fan of Bierce, Lovecraft and whats-his-name who wrote the Silmarillion ;) I would throw Clark Ashton Smith into the mix. Love everything that man penned.

They did, after all, base a module on his writings :)

15. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

im going to go out on a limb here and say that i dont really enjoy salvatore's or tolkien's work (when compared to other fantasy novels at least).

buahahahhahaa :twisted:

Our Host!