Verbobonc Sewers / What Lies Beneath [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by HeJason, Oct 12, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This is another known bug actually having to do with incrementing testimony against Panathaes. It will be fixed in the upcoming modpack, but in the meantime you can fix it by inputting this console code:

Code:
    game.global_vars[555] = 2
    If Panaathaes is in your party, there will be an issue with him leaving and Abiram taking custody of him as well. Not much to do about that one, but it will also be fixed in the new modpack.

2. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

setting 555 to 2 allowed for further conversation. But, as you said, Abiram took Panathaes then, and the later dialogs seem to want him to still be in the party. I was not able to get successful completion of the quest.

I've got one more thought to try, but it will require me going back to an earlier save and experimenting a bit using my rogue.

3. dale5351

Here is a report back for you to consider. I have finally finished the quest. But to do so, I had to modify the good Captain's dlg file. Explicitly, I
    removed the remove_panathes command from {800} *and* had to change a check on "not npc_get(npc,29)" to "npc_get(npc,29)". This last thing was preventing me from getting the dialog choices that would lead me on to a good finish, and the first thing was needed as well.

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

4. dale5351

I have just gotten to this quest using the new modpack (7.50). Went a lot easier the second time around -- but I got a surprise at the end. I marched Pan.. up to Abiram, but this time he was not the one who got accused and so he did not get taken away. I had to use the console to get rid of him.

5. Gaear

Okay, we should be able to fix that, thanks.

6. Bjones12

Bjones12 Member

Wow the missing kids are impossible. I read this entire thread, got the map with the locations of the drainage area, and I can't find the P dude. Searched all 8 locations for 10-15 minutes each in real time making sure I walked over evey inch more than once. my character has a 20 spot exactly. not there! Charmed the crazy torch guy that starts with a B and he starts to talk to me about were the kids are, but when I ask where he mumbles with every possible choice. This was complete waste of the last 6 hours of my life.

7. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I could be mistaken, but I suspect that Panathaes only spawns after you have successfully interrogated both Boroquin and Rakham, and that the children only spawn after you have successfully interrogated Panathaes. Correct me if I am wrong, Gaear.

8. Gaear

I'm reluctant to reduce this whole thing to a rote operation, because that's the very thing that takes you out of the game, as it were. The whole plot is best handled by simply exploring and thinking. When you start following walkthroughs and playing by numbers, you are inadvertently crippling yourself by taking your single best asset - your intellect - out of it. Not to mention, you are losing out on the 'experience' of the tunnels and what's really going on down there, which is what the quest/plot is intended to give you, ultimately. 'Drama,' 'immershun,' etc. People will have better luck going down there with an open mind and a taste for adventure and actually playing it rather than going to designated locations and clicking search over and over, etc.

Scripting details like 'Panathaes spawns when x and y conditions are met' are not really intended to be a part of the experience. The ambience and mystery and sense of danger and creepiness are. No one creates stories et al with the hope or intention that they will be reduced to bits and bites. :)

Bottom line is that if you go down with the intention of checking location x for NPC y, you will probably not have much luck and things will get frustrating fast. If you go down thinking "I'm going to find out what the hell is going on and solve this problem for Captain Abiram," you will enjoy it much more.

So I don't want to conclude that anyone failed because they didn't look in the right place at the right time and do a pirouette before clicking three times on a scenery object, but rather because they failed at carrying out due diligence for a job assigned by a high authority and the responsibility that comes with it.

9. Legless

Legless Established Member

:thumbsup:

10. Kragenskjold

Kragenskjold Member

Spot - what are good ways to increase this skill, aside from spells? I'm at lvl 13 with Spot at 7 (9 with Helm of Midnight) on a character who has spent the max of .5 per level possible so I'm not sure how you can get it to 19+.

Anyone else notice what appears to be a beholder in 2 locations? They're darkened and appear to be floating near the ceiling in once corridor and one room but cannot be targetted or interacted with in anyway. They move sleightly and that's what caught my attention. I just know those large mouthed monstrosities had something to do with the missing kids...prolly ate them. :p

11. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

Have Spot as a class-skill? ;)

12. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

13. Kragenskjold

Kragenskjold Member

Is that a monk or thief skill? I've used my fighter/tank with open locks/disable devices to get through most content except a chest in the fire node.

14. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

I havenĀ“t played all classes in ToEE but according to the PHB spot is a class skill for those classes: Druid, Monk, Ranger and Rogue.

15. Kragenskjold

Kragenskjold Member

Good to know. Thanks, CD.

Our Host!