Vain person asks about higher education valuability.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sergio Morozov, Nov 25, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

Thank you.

Well, I see that as an example of Justice being the justice of the strongest, as you said “The US chose in 1986 not to accept the World Court ruling” and who did care? What comes to the UN respecting member nations, the same applies. 51st article gives any member nation under an attack the right to bring its grievance to the UN Security Council, sadly Iraq was not a member when the “coalition” invaded its sands, they could plea no more international support as we could in November 1939. Although the invasion and subsequent occupation of the Iraq was acknowledged by the UN, that does not make it legal. Unlike the occupation of Taliban Afghanistan (I have no idea was Afghans an UN member at the time or not) when UN undisputedly decided to sanction warfare. Point being, the UN does not care, as long as it gets its funding. The Iraq thing was a convenient technicality and who would care about the Taliban anyway? If Iraq had been UN member then all the same clausals used against the Nazis in Nurnberg trials (illegal occupation/illegal warfare = crimes against humanity) could have been utilized, but as you know as I know such justice is only fiction.

Seriously??!! Fuck Yeah! Bush 6 is an anglism. Do I speak Anglo-Saxon language as my mother tongue? NO. How do I refer to the case: “Tuplavee Puskan ja Sylikoira Blairin hallinnon oikeudenkäynti Espanjassa, rikoksista ihmisyyttä vastaan.” Try google translate that. Anyways, hail the prosecutor! He is the voice of the victims, may his voice never go unheard.

I guess so, but I was too lazy to read the English translation.

Should I laugh or cry? I choose to cry. Yes the officials/diplomats should be immune to prosecution, but that did not hinder the allies to hang every German with some affiliation to the NSDAP. Such hypocrisy.

I never invoked my personal morals, did I? I have mentioned the atrocities the US government conducted towards their indigenous peoples as I have mentioned the brutal affairs how the Tritte Reich applied to its “lesser citizens”.

What can I say? All the repressed peoples of the world, do not fear, the ever so corrupted US is here to help you, if you have the Oil that is…

A representation, perhaps, a caricaturized, but still a representation of true history. In Firefly a former captain who fought for the free confederation of planets against the “evil” unionist and after the defeat of the confederation he chose live as a pirate and gunslinger on the frontier. So wild west. How more American can that fiction get? Firefly does not show what could have happend, if the Federation won. It is more an epitome what happened. I urge you, watch the series and the movie.

Thank you for the clarification, and what comes to the rest I am bound to dissagree,

As I said, you mis-interpret "idiot" to mean the same as "retarded" or "mentally handicapped." They do not mean the same thing.[/QUOTE]

That is how the dictionary represents the word ”idiot”. How the hell am I supposed to intrepid that word any other way?
    Thank you.

Well, I see that as an example of Justice being the justice of the strongest, as you said “The US chose in 1986 not to accept the World Court ruling” and who did care? What comes to the UN respecting member nations, the same applies. 51st article gives any member nation under an attack the right to bring its grievance to the UN Security Council, sadly Iraq was not a member when the “coalition” invaded its sands, they could plea no more international support as we could in November 1939. Although the invasion and subsequent occupation of the Iraq was acknowledged by the UN, that does not make it legal. Unlike the occupation of Taliban Afghanistan (I have no idea was Afghans an UN member at the time or not) when UN undisputedly decided to sanction warfare. Point being, the UN does not care, as long as it gets its funding. The Iraq thing was a convenient technicality and who would care about the Taliban anyway? If Iraq had been UN member then all the same clausals used against the Nazis in Nurnberg trials (illegal occupation/illegal warfare = crimes against humanity) could have been utilized, but as you know as I know such justice is only fiction.

Seriously??!! Fuck Yeah! Bush 6 is an anglism. Do I speak Anglo-Saxon language as my mother tongue? NO. How do I refer to the case: “Tuplavee Puskan ja Sylikoira Blairin hallinnon oikeudenkäynti Espanjassa, rikoksista ihmisyyttä vastaan.” Try google translate that. Anyways, hail the prosecutor! He is the voice of the victims, may his voice never go unheard.

I guess so, but I was too lazy to read the English translation.

Should I laugh or cry? I choose to cry. Yes the officials/diplomats should be immune to prosecution, but that did not hinder the allies to hang every German with some affiliation to the NSDAP. Such hypocrisy.

I never invoked my personal morals, did I? I have mentioned the atrocities the US government conducted towards their indigenous peoples as I have mentioned the brutal affairs how the Tritte Reich applied to its “lesser citizens”.

What can I say? All the repressed peoples of the world, do not fear, the ever so corrupted US is here to help you, if you have the Oil that is…

A representation, perhaps, a caricaturized, but still a representation of true history. In Firefly a former captain who fought for the free confederation of planets against the “evil” unionist and after the defeat of the confederation he chose live as a pirate and gunslinger on the frontier. So wild west. How more American can that fiction get? Firefly does not show what could have happend, if the Federation won. It is more an epitome what happened. I urge you, watch the series and the movie.

Thank you for the clarification, and what comes to the rest I am bound to dissagree,

As I said, you mis-interpret "idiot" to mean the same as "retarded" or "mentally handicapped." They do not mean the same thing.[/QUOTE]

That is how the dictionary represents the word ”idiot”. How the hell am I supposed to intrepid that word any other way?

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

As I said, the US lost considerable international prestige for refusing to abide by the ICJ ruling in 1986. IIRC, there was much criticism from some of our strongest allies including England and France, and it definitely cooled the US relationships with many Third-World and non-aligned countries. The net effect of that is debatable, of course. The US felt the loss was worth it. I disagree.

By the way, it is my understanding that the UN was founded after WW2 in no small part exactly so that nations like Finland would have someone to turn to when faced with an agressive neighbor. See South Korea, 1950. The problem was, there was no way to empower the Security Council without giving veto power to nations on both sides of the Cold War, effectively preventing the UN from acting in most other conflicts of the Cold War era.

Well, Google Translate has problems with "Tuplavee Puskan" but I'll assume that means something negative about Bush Jr, and the rest translates to "and lap dog Blair's government trial in Spain for crimes against humanity." Which tells me you (and where ever you get your information from) don't know much about the Spanish prosecutor's case. As I pointed out (twice) Bush and Blair are not named targets of the investigation, never were, and I think their names are only being used to further someone's political agenda. You need to check your facts on this case.

For what it's worth, my take is the Spanish prosecutor has no authority to be the voice of any "victims" in this case, he either knows it or is a fool, and is using the whole thing (3 years investigating and no indictments?) for his own political gain.

And yes, I actually do believe the Gitmo mess and mistreatment of prisoners in Al Garib probably amount to war crimes - but a Spanish court has no jurisdiction, and no court with authority has taken the task. I also find great irony in the fact that Gitmo is still operating, 4 years after Barak Obama campaigned against Bush Jr's use of the base to house detainees and swore he would close it. I guess once he won the job he found it wasn't as easy as it looked from the university chair, eh?

Perhaps the Neuremburg trials were not so hypocritical even under the 2002 ICJ ruling, given it was exactly the sort of international war crimes tribunal that the ICJ specifically said has jurisdiction, wasn't it? The point is, a national court such as the one to which the Spanish prosecutor would bring charges has no authority to prosecute former US governmental employees.

And yet you call me a hypocrite for decrying the mistreatment of the Jews during the Spanish Inquisition. Expelling the Moors and other Arabs during and following the reconquista I can probably understand - the Muslims were invaders who were not exactly tolerant of the Christian indiginous population they conquered, so wishing them removed when the territory was reclaimed by Christian kingdoms is fairly understandable. But the Muslims (especially the Almoravids and Almohads) were just as intolerant of the Jews as they were of the Christians, so it's not like the Christians has cause to mistreat the Jews once they defeated the Muslim forces in Iberia.

A simplistic, if inaccurate, representation of US foreign policy. But one that is well-propegated by those who envy what the US has and does, I'm sure. (Yes, I know how arrogant that sounds.) The US helps a whole lot of nations/people/groups all over this planet for little more than worldwide goodwill. What exactly do you think the US gets out of foreign aid to places like Nicaragua, Honduras, and other Central and South American countries? Other than cool hand-made knick-knacks, that is... Sure the US acts in it's own interests in places like Saudi Arabia, who wouldn't given the resources? And for that matter, why shouldn't we? But hey, don't let a little reality get in the way of your hubris.

I have heard a lot of good things about Firefly, but it seemed like one of those series that I would not get much out of unless I was able to watch the whole thing in order, beginning to end, and short of renting the DVDs from the video store I doubt I'll ever have that opportunity. A pity...

It is a free world (more or less,) so we are allowed to disagree.

I will grant you, every dictionary I have found does give the obsolete clinical definition of "idiot" in addition to the current common usage. However, every one of them also pointed out that definition was no longer in use. I did not expect you to only see the clinical technical definition that has been out of common usage for 60+ years.

3. Rocktoy

My Masters theses are currently under the scrutiny of my faculty. Nevertheless, the appendix of my study is only too short. For my forthcoming success I must thank yee all. Without your never resting comments and opinions most of my study would have gone unnoticed. VERY special THANK YOU is due to you ekpert, guarding angel and Sergio. Without your comments many vital points of point of view in my study would have gone unnoticed. And to you, my ever tiring censor, Gaer, most heartily thank you. We may not have seen many things eye to eye, but you have taught me many things. For your vigilance, kudos!

4. Rocktoy

I do not disagree with that, only meant to say that the US easily survives any loss of prestige
    with ease.

Correct. The UN is an improvement in comparison to the league of nations and it was designed to benefit small nations like us. Still it is flawed system since the strong can as easily ignore it and still invade and occupie contries like Iraq with no reprecautions. I have no sympathy to the towel heads, nor do I have any respect to the followers of the false prophet in general. The USSR invaded my country regardless what the contemporary international forum said. I am bound to fear and dislike any nation that acts alike, and ignores UN procedure.

You did try to that translate that? It was meant as a rhetorical question, emphasizing the fact that I do not communicate here with my mother tongue, and as a result I am bound to do certain mistakes. i.e. I did not read the article that Cujo provided, but I read the one that was available in Finish.

Justice is never a fool’s errand. I am not accustomed of spaniyard law. To me, it represents the fact that no-one, not even the strongest, are above and beyond the law. The Nazis were prosecuted and condemn for their crimes against humanity even when their actions were never against any contemporary law. It is only right and proper that the similarly genocidal acts of US government should be tried and condemned in a similar court.

The Nurnberg trials had neither any jurisdiction, still their rulings are seen as vehemont. I feel your pain of Gitmo. A concentration camp never works, those innocents locked in are bound to become “terrorist” (to me the word would be freedomfighter). Such an institution serves only the agenda of the “martyrs”.

You cannot judge UN decision made half a century ago by the moralities of the contemporary. If you do so: hypocrite. The trials of nurberg were a proses which violated every aspect that is considered as due proses of a legal trial. A mockery of justice.

Truly so. I am biased here. I have been taught that neither the Jewes nor the Moors ever truly converted in our most holy faith of the ancient roman tradition. Thus they died the death of any pagan/heathen. For the salvation end everlasting bliss of their souls, I pray for. In nomine patre, et fili et spiritus sancte.

I never said that my opinion was nothing more than a biased and one-sided subjective interpretation. Even if I have my opinions about the US system, I am still applying for the green card, and should the almighty so decide, I will be granted the right of residence. There may be many reasons for criticism over US political system, but dying hope is to become oneday on of the brave and the free.

My subjective opinion is that you should rent it, it is a great window into what is seen as “American”.

It is a free world (more or less,) so we are allowed to disagree.

My definition of the word ”idiot” was from a dictionary from the year anno domini 2003 isbn 951-20-6434-0, I can do only so good.

"Fa dör, fränder dö, även själv skiljes du händan, men ett vet jag, som aldrig dör, domen över död man."

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

IIRC, an adult with the intellectual capacity in the range of:

1 to 4 is an Imbecile

4 to 7 is an Idiot

7 to 12 is a Moron

These terms have subsequently become insults, as have later terms like "retarded", "intellectually impaired" and "special".

Shockingly, I have somehow refrained from making a smartass remark. :yikes:

6. Rocktoy

Curiosity rising. I have encountered both the terms “imbecile” and “idiot” as medical terms referring to those born with mental defect, but the word “moron” never. I thought the latter was just some derogative vernacular word? Perhaps, this is due the fact that both “I-” words are used in Finnish with almost identical spelling (Imbesilli and Idiootti), but the word Moron requires translation. Or I just lack the linguistic skill.

This is beyond my capability to understand: why have these term become insults, and more importantly are there any alternatives that are NOT insulting?

And that is why you are a better person than I.

7. Rocktoy

A foolish post scriptum, perhaps, but still worthy for a thought:

“Any society that would give up little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

8. Rocktoy

Shame I could not quote what you posted from Beowulf. Anyways I am most shamed for my false arrogance. I thought that as an ancient tongue Finnish have not changed as much during the many millennia it has been spoken, and since I “can” understand ancient Finnish so should any English speaker understand the old forms of their tongue. How wrong was I. I just heard a song called “Väkirauta” by a Finnish folkmetal band called “Korpiklaani” and I could not understand a word, it sounded like Estonian. That song is sung in ancient Finnish with the same poetic (Kalevala-) metre as our national epic was written, which I have read several times. Still I had to read the lyrics more than twice. Shame on me, I can recognize every single word, but it took considerable time to cypher the meaning in modern Finnish. Beowulf must be even more difficult, considering how much more “saxon” language have morphed since. I think promoting is banned in this forum so I just say for those of the curious spirit: You Tube and Google works if one wishes to hear ancient non-Indo-European tongue… How wicked, come to think of it, the written Finnish have existed only less than six centuries, but I can understand “ancient” tongue only after reading, not after hearing.

Our Host!