Use Magic Device question.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ulquiorra, Sep 6, 2023.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

Hi! I have a question about UMD in this game.Does it's ONLY purpose is scrolls/wands activation?In NWN1/NWN2 it was used also for emulation of class/alignment/race for specific magic items.Does it works the same here?Does this game have such items,and how many?I plan to create a Mystic Theurges(both Arcane and Divine caster),who,in theory, should be able to cast ANY spell from ANY scroll(without UMD).So,would I benefit from high UMD score somehow?

2. zertzax

zertzax Member

I THINK UMD can also be used for wand/rods/staves. If you are a Theurge you should be able to use any scroll if not precluded by specialization/alignment.

Ulquiorra likes this.
  3. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

But is there some items(for exmp-boots that only Elf can wear,or robe only for Chaotic pc.)?And does UMD help with equiping them?

4. zertzax

zertzax Member

I am not aware of any boots that only an Elf can wear but per the SRD 3.5

"Check
    You can use this skill to read a spell or to activate a magic item. Use Magic Device lets you use a magic item as if you had the spell ability or class features of another class, as if you were a different race, or as if you were of a different alignment "

So in either case UMD should allow the character to use those items.

Ulquiorra likes this.
  5. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

Ok,thank you for response.)

6. OccasionallyGood

OccasionallyGood Member

Note that in case of spells coming from rods, you anyway need to be a caster of a certain spell. E.g. "Staff Of Life": only Cleric lvl9+ can use Raise Dead option of this rod.

Ulquiorra likes this.
  7. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

As I was saying,I plan to create Mystic Theurge(Favored Soul(Cleric spell list)+Sorcerer(Sor/Wiz spell list),so,maybe,UMD can help me to cast some Druid(or Bard/Assassin/Paladin/Ranger) spells.But,again,my main question is about existing of items(helmets,boots,armor,gloves,weapons etc.)that are wear-restricted by Alignment/Race/Class.I like UMD(in NWN1/NWN2) mainly because such things(Me,a Good Mage can equip some cool Staff only for Evil characters:cool:,you know,that kind of things).It's sad if this game doesn't have this mechanic.It means UMD loses half of it's potential.:(

8. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

Really the only thing that UMD will facilitate in ToEE is use of scrolls and wands. Some scrolls can be eventually scribed at higher levels than the wands iirc - ie, duration, effect; or maybe just far cheaper - I forget. Scrolls have higher Umd requirements than wands.

Thus a cleric could eventually scribe a level 20 divine power that a party rogue could try to use.

All equipment can be used (except certain rods and spells as noted above). Equipping opposed alignment items temporarily drains a level. Exotic weapon proficiencies restrictions are not helped by Umd. Iirc, there are no specific race or class equipment restrictions.

Some items may give spell failure chance, such as regular shields on a mage, etc.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    Ulquiorra likes this.
  9. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

Understood.Too pity.Anyway,thank you for information.

10. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Having at least 1 level in a class with that spell on your spell list should remove the need to UMD wands and staves. You still must meet caster level requirements for scrolls.

Rods are separate from staves: Rods don't require any casting ability to use.

Enjoy!

Ulquiorra likes this.
  11. Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra Member

Thank you.I will.)

Our Host!