Unsolvable bugs??

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Morgoth, Apr 11, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Morgoth

Morgoth Member

Am I correct in saying that

1/ Monsters do not attract attacks of opportunity when drinking potions whilst in range of PC melee weapons.

2/ Enemy casters do not make concentration checks after taking physical damage to see whether the spell fizzles.

... and that these are hard coded so not amenable to any kind of Co8 fix?? TIA

Morgoth

2. BoogieMan

BoogieMan Member

And the freezing in the nodes? Anyone know how to fix or lessen those?

Sometimes after 25 seconds or so it'll unfreeze, but other times it seems permanent. And with a computer that is far above the recommended that's pretty silly.

I noted that it pretty much only happens when scrolling. And scrolling in the black(unmapped) area seems to help. But does anyone know a better way?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Morgoth:

1. Yes, this is a known bug.

2. Not sure about that one . . . is that what you've experienced?

BoogieMan:

The nodes lockups are universal and a longstanding ToEE tradition. Your system specs don't seem to matter, everyone gets it - low end and high end and everything in between. Some things that seem to help, sort of, are to have your party take baby steps and to go easy on the scrolling around. Lame, I know. The thinking in some circles is that the fire animations choke your processor, so trying to go easy on it by not rapidly mousing around would seem to make sense.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth Member

So, there is no fix for the potion drinking?- hardcoded?

As for 2 i just noticed that I was beating on the enemy mages/clerics and they never failed to cast... i might be mistaken, or it may be a toee bug, or it might be to do with modders changes... maybe someone else can confirm/repudiate it.

5. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

No, there is no way that I know of to fix the potion problem. Believe me I tried.

In fact I was actually able to fix some stuff and make some new things because I knew that potion drinking did not cause AOO.

The way I cause monsters/NPCs to attempt to Break Free when webbed is that I create a potion of Break Free in their inventory and they then use it to Break Free... it wouldn't have worked so well if drinking the potion caused AOO.

Also, I don't get slow down in the nodes. My system runs fine there.

The only time I get slow down is when I try to select a destination for travel that is too far away from my current position, or when there are a LOT of monsters on screen taking their turns.

During combat you can reduce slow down/lag if you make sure that you keep your mouse cursor/pointer over one of your PC's portrait until it is time to select an action.

Moving the mouse around during combat slows things down.

- Livonya

6. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

A couple of things about the node slowdown.

1. I mentioned to Liv before (and she replied that it would be easy to do) that removing the swirling backgrounds might help with this in some way, if that is causing some kind of major resource drain. I have no idea if the bg's are what's causing problems, but given that the issue seems relatively confined to the nodes, it's a pretty safe bet they're involved SOMEhow. Just a thought. Liv?

2. I have noticed that this slow-down (which for me also occurs just outside of the door to Shenshock's room on the fourth level of the temple) happens in very specific places, and usually when I'm just on the periphery of an enemy's awareness, and I'm guessing that perhaps a part of the problem lies in the enemy's attempts to detect me. This also explains the fact that when I get to these spots and chuck a fireball ahead of me, forcing combat with these people, the problem corrects, and that whole area scrolls and everything just fine. (With Shenshock, it also seems to help if I have my rogue go invisible and sneak into the room to reveal all the baddies.) Anyway, anybody having these troubles is recommended to throw a fireball somewhere or sneak an invisible member ahead. 95% of the time, this solves the problem for me. Ideally, these observations will help a modder figure out what's going on with this and come up with a fix, but who knows?

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sorry if this is redundant, but u r talking specifically about physical damage? Getting fragged (or even Fragarached)? Because I have certainly seen them miscast due to spell damage: the first time I beat the Balor it was by casting quickened magic missiles at him every time he tried to do something magical, he fizzled two consecutive rounds and ended up just standing there like a punching bag :-D.

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

2) I've seen a fair few fizzles by NPCs making failed concentration checks. They get floating text when it happens.

9. Morgoth

Morgoth Member

Hmmm

Hmmm (if i am up to scratch on the rules),then would not a five foot step before quaffing a potion be a partial fix?

10. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Yeah, I thought about that as well. But the problem is that I could find no way to prevent the NPC from taking a 5 foot step on every round. The AI is very limited, and it doesn't splinter into seperate paths.

So for instance the AI will allow you to do A or B option, but it will not allow you to do A-B-C option or D-E-F option.

In otherwords I can't link Use Potion to 5 Foot Step.

- Livonya

Our Host!