Unfixed problems?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ausir, Nov 11, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. RufusAtticus

RufusAtticus Member

A fix that wasn't reported in the patch readme:

Halfling monks can now select weapon finesse. It appears that Troika took out the need to select a specific weapon type and this fixed the problem.

I also noticed that Meleny (a druid) can weld a holy ranseur +1 (a type of spear) as if she is proficient in it, but in her inventory it claims that she is not proficient with it.

2. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

@Graphil and Elessar:
    Thanks for checking. Will update buglist when I can.

@RufusAtticus:
    AFAIK, there aren't any Great Cleavers in the 3.5e SRD. This object was introduced by Troika and is obviously unbalanced for its price and abilities as you have noted.
    I will put it under bad design decisions for items for the time being.

Good find regarding Halfling Monks! Will be crossed off list.

NPCs have been so messed up in the their leveling and feats I really don't know what to say. So Meleny wields a Holy Ranseur proficiently without Martial Weapon Proficiency. I've seen a thread regarding levelup.tab and feats in the protos.tab. If you could get some a group of forumers to do some further tests to see what could/would possibly work it would be much appreciated.

The following bugs were reported here or in the Atari Troubleshooting forums. Not all have been checked for correctness. As always any help in reconfirming/refuting bugs is much appreciated.

GENERAL
    -A 2 weapon fighter can exchange an equipped buckler with shield by right-clicking on shield
    -Sometimes secret doors become undetectable
    -Ending cutscenes shows Thrommel dead even if resurrected/raised in-game
    -Quick-weapon slots routinely borrow weapons from other slots or just plain vanish.

COMBAT
    -Light 1-handers should not give 1.5X Str damage when wielded in 2 hands
    -Prone characters get +4 Vs melee attack
    -AI: enemy spellcasters cast daze and hold person on Large characters which are immune
    -A character hit by an AoO and paralyzed is allowed to complete his action.
    -Drinking potions causes no AoOs
    -Using a weapon that does BOTH piercing and slashing damage (ie dagger/scythe), will bypass an Ochre Jelly's immunities and not cause it to split.

CLASSES
    -For Sorcs: exchanging ray of enfeeblement for grease results in having an extra copy of enlarge person
    -Evil clerics of Obad-hai channel positive energy

FEATS
    -Widen spell doesn't work. It also only takes up a spell slot 1 level higher (not 3).
    -Heighten spell increases spell DC by one less than it should
    -Skill focus: UMD is applied to Tumble

SKILLS
    -Searching for secret doors is DC 0

SPELLS
    -Goodberries stay in your inventory after use, each character can still only "USE" one a day , but they can use it on somebody else (stuff the berry down their throat ..heh)
    -GFX: GUST of WIND does temporary stun opponents but they dont appear "knocked over" or graphic wise, also sometimes other creatures dont fall over till the end of the battle even though they're dead.
    -Divine Power does not stack with weapon enhancements
    -Spiritual weapon: AB not correctly implemented
    -Miscasting spells loses 2 spells instead of 1 for Sorcs
    -Read Magic non-functional (post patch)
    -Str domain cleric have a permanent Resist Energy spell (listed as lvl 5 Rgr spell).
    -Charm Monster and Remove Curse learned as 3rd lvl spells for Wizards
    -Permanent Web upon failing last check
    -Raise Dead: Raised 1st lvl characters lose 4 Con instead of 2
    -The interaction of freedom of movement and hold person is bugged. Freedom of movement correctly allows you to take actions while held. However, you still have the condition "held" and attempt Will saves every round to break free; on the round that you succeed, you are unable to act. So, you get actions if you fail the save; when you pass, you lose your turn and are rid of the hold.
    -Spells unscribable to scrolls: Ice Storm, Protection from Law, Identify
    -No divination spells for 4th or 5th level.
    -Weapon Focus(Ray) gives no AB bonus for Ray of Enfeeblement
    -When casting Dismissal to interrupt an enemy spellcaster (for instance, a salamander) through Ready vs. Spell, the enemy spell still goes off even if the enemy is Dismissed.
    -Spell-like abilities (salamander's fireball) should not be counterspellable
    -Prot Vs Evil: Should only work against natural attacks. It should not stop a Balor's weapons. Effect should be cancelled once Protected player attacks a summoned creature.
    -Intermittent invulnerability from Magic Circle Vs Evil
    -Guidance: spell duration is 6 minutes (should be 1 min)
    -Attacked creatures do not receive a +5 bonus for Will save Vs Charm Person
    -Enlarge Person and Righteous Might stacks resulting in a character model two size categories larger than normal, but with the same threat area
    -Stone skin should have a cost of 250 gp/casting for the material component.
    -Shocking Grasp damage dealing d8/lvl up to 5d8 (should be d6/lvl up to 5D6)
    -Neutral Bbn lvl 1 takes a level of cleric for lvl 2. Despite selecting positive for spell casting, the character can only spont inflict spells.
    -Dismissal: works against non-outsiders/non-undead
    -Neutralize poison, Protection from Law have no requirements for scribing other than the xp/gp cost

ITEMS
    -Negative Dex penalties not applied correctly with certain armors (Hedrack's plate or full plate +1) and Dex modif of -1 gives +1 to AC
    (Chainmail +1) and Dex modif of -2, -3, -4 gives +2 to AC
    -Great Cleaver: overpowered and underpriced
    -Light Xbow and staff of striking show no icons on ground when dropped.
    -Bracers stack (effect of Archery and Armor bracers also stack)
    -Potions of cure light wounds occasionally heal 1 hp. Possibly they are marked as caster level 0?
    -Crafted items gain no Spell Resistance from the crafting process
    -Javelin of lightning cannot cast Lightning Bolt as described

CREATURES/NPCs
    -Gnolls should not recieve 5/Bludgeoning
    -Spiders require a Conc check to cast Web
    -Skels/Zombs have no immunity to Tasha's HL
    -Terjon and NE vignette acolyte receive +20 to Will save from racial bonus
    -Casting mass cure on party makes Otis hostile(?)
    -bugged hostile state/conversation with Belsornig

QUESTS
    -No elven chain for rescuing princess
    -Drinking Contest Hommlet allows use of two or more characters in a row.
    -Tolub brawl fight: He sometimes falls unconscious (instead of giving up), allowing you to loot him. If allowed to heal, reinitiates same dialogue as before - branded cheater if fail to down him in one hit. Another character can take the first character's place.
    -After completing Allrem's second quest with the violent option, I did not get the third quest.
    -If you finish a subtemple leader's quests, but don't go to the Greater Temple right away, the game will assume that when you do get down there you are in the company of the first priest. This produces incoherent dialog. It's particularly bad if you do Belsornig's quests last, since he doesn't accompany you down to the Greater Temple himself.

PERMANENT SPELLS/SPELL EFFECTS
    -Meld Stone to Earth causes 0 movt for afflicted chars in next fight (permanent?)
    -Wind Wall is permanent. Enemies have to make concealment checks when using ranged weapons long after the spell has ended. (the spell animation does not remain)
    -Strength increase from Death Knell is permanent.
    -Lesser Globe of Invulnerability effect is permanent
    -Ghoul Touch effect does not wear off

DIFFICULT TO REPRODUCE/NEEDS CONFIRMATION
    -My Dwarf fighter has the martial weapon proficiency (all) BUT...he can ONLY use a mace without incurring a -4 penalty!!! When he levels up the martial weapon proficiency feat is available to choose and if you chose it the weapon you take STILL gives the -4 penalty.
    -Gloves of Dexterity+2 equipped at a natural dex of 20 won't add up 1 point on the AC dex modifier.
    -level 10 bard did not receive songs "Inspire Greatness" and "Intimidate". Cannot use intimidate on fascinated creature.

DESIGN DECISION/NOT BUGS/QUIRKS/TYPOS
    -Chill Touch incorrectly displayed as Transmutation instead of Necromancy
    -Permanent Magic Missile graphics on screen after casting
    -Selling to Shop keepers. There are open slots left but it says they are "full".
    -F9: This does not always load your quicksave. It loads your most recent save, be it either a quicksave, autosave (from changing areas) or manual save.
    -Cutlass as piercing rather than slashing
    -When appearing in a town, sometimes the town will attack you if you have skels commanded.
    -Commanded undead never quit and travel with you until you either kill them or have them killed.
    -Raised NPCs may be Hostile

Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  3. Shin

Shin Established Member

I find the fact that bracers stack very interesting.

If we can reproduce this effect with the "belt/ioun stone" slot, then the ioun stones will finally get all their mighty (over)power correctly implemented! :) (also the possibility to stack (not yet available) belts and rogue's tools...)

[edit] unless of course, that the stacked items' bonus don't stack... doh.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2003
  4. Elessar

Elessar Member

A few more things i've found:

- The young acolyte of the neutral evil vignette have a very nasty +20 will save as racial bonus.

- When an enemy is flatfooted (maybe the chars also, i don't know), it loses his dex bonus always, when it should only lose it if its dex bonus is positive. Ex.: Lubash, the ogre in the moathouse, has an AC of 15 flatfooted, 14 normal (-1 dex bonus).

- All the system to calculate DCs for spells is messed up, but I have found a very weird bug with Tasha's spell. Against almost anything, my tasha's spell have a DC of 17 (10 + 4 (int bonus) + 2 (spell level) + 1 (SF:Enchanment)), but against the hill giant of Emery Meadows and against a troll i fought in a random encounter, the DC for the spell was 13. I guess that it lost the +4 int bonus.

And finally,I want to confirm the solution I read in Atari forums for the CTDs after the patch. After installing the patch, I got constants CTDs, making the game really unplayable. Before the patch was bad, but after it was crazy. The problem is a BIG memory leak with the "fog of war" of the game. After i marked all the maps as unfogged, i had only have 2 CTDs in 3 intense days of gaming.

5. zhuge

@Shin:
    Perhaps you could test if they stack - Bracers of Archery and Bracers of Armor. As far as I know they only stack physically, occupying the same spot in the inventory. Not sure about the effects.
    Will try to post a list of price corrections later but I have some problems accessing my files and may need extra time.

@Elessar:
    +20 Will save, eh? As racial bonus. Wonder what race that could be. :roll: Another funny bug. Updated partial list.

Regarding ignoring negative Dex bonuses when flatfooted, yes, that's a bit of an oddity. I've noticed it too but since the effect is not great, I'm putting it down as a design quirk.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter incurs a -4 penalty when cast on a race different from the caster, as per 3.5e SRD (giants and trolls would certainly be a different race). The implementation here
    is correct.

Good to hear of a solution for the CTDs. We really should have a sticky post for solutions for technical problems: CTDs, screen lockups/hanging, game extremely dark, not being able to start game, corrupted files, slowdowns, etc...
    Unfortunately, I'm really bad at these matters. Anyone up for it?

6. Shimmer

Shimmer Member

look in:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=331155

and scroll down until you hit large font in red.

if you don't want to do that, basically, the target receives +4 to its saving throw.

also, how is the dc calculating system messed up in general?

that's just funny. or sad. or both.

7. RufusAtticus

RufusAtticus Member

Confirmed. Bracers of Armor and Bracers of Archery can coexist with their bonuses. Two Bracers of Armor cannot.

8. zhuge

@RufusAtticus:
    Update to partial list done. Thanks for testing.

Read over at Atari forums that Terjon of Hommlet also gets +20 to Will saves via racial bonus. Seems like those St.Cuthbert clerics really are wonders. :p

There has been no response to the Atari forum poll for a second patch from Troika and this makes the prospects of a second patch rather bleak. It also means that the modders may have to shoulder a heavier burden to resolve the remaining bugs.

I only hope we have enough means at our disposal to do so.
    Some comments by the Co8 modders to see what is fixable in the buglist would be nice for a start. ;)
    It would give us a goal and some added inspiration that all this bug reporting will actually get put to good use.

EDIT: I hope to see that we can fix ALL quest related, item related and spell related issues. Ok, that's a huge request but if we organize the stuff nicely for the modders to code, I think it is very possible to fix quite a number.

9. RufusAtticus

RufusAtticus Member

No prob. I noticed it earlier, but didn't think it was a bug. :)

10. Elessar

Elessar Member

@Shimmer

I said that the system to calculate the DCs of spells is messep up because is not rare that the DCs don't fit the "basic formula" 10 + primary ability bonus + spell level + SF/GSF, although how you and zhuge have observed, the reason could be my ignorance of each spell oddities.

P.D.: I've seen the post you talk about. The blood color of the font, the gigantic size,...it's just scary!! :p

11. zhuge

That's completely Ok. GSF IS broken by the way as you have stated. Just remember we're all on the same side. We all want the best for the game and we should appreciate it when others chip in to test stuff.

The 3.5e SRD can be downloaded here:
    http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd35

That way you all can check up obscure stuff too when in doubt.
    I'm no expert myself in PnP DnD but rely much on the above document to resolve issues.

Once again I must stress that the situation does not look good for a second official patch. Only if the modding community remains dedicated can we hope to repair the errors quickly in the various files and we should be united in our cause.

<group hug time... everyone> :)

12. Elessar

Elessar Member

I'm not offended or anything, and i'm sorry if i have given that impression. It's just that is difficult to express myself correctly when my knowledge of the english language is so limited.

Concerning the second patch, the game is too freaking buggy to not make a second patch. It's unaceptable that Atari could just think that them can let the game in its current state...but after all, we are talking about Atari :(

P.D.: I've checked the bug of Terjon getting a +20 will save racial bonus. I'm beggining to hate all that St.Cuthbert do-gooders :p

13. zhuge

Ok, a few last observations before I go to bed:

-Maximize spell works without problems

-Potions do indeed weigh 0lb. Funny thing is when I checked using protos.tab, the weight of potions is 1lb. However the weight of Belsornig's poison vial (looks like a potion) is 1lb in the game. Weird... ???

-Divine Favor works. I received both to hit bonuses and damage bonuses. Wonder why someone reported it as a bug. If there are no objections I will cross it off tomorrow.

-Romag's diary works post patch. Again I wonder why someone reported it as a bug. Similarly, if there are no objections I will cross it off tomorrow.

-Romag's 1st quest to kill the snake is still broken - you can still tell him that you've killed the snake even if you haven't.

<yawns... G'nite>

14. Shin

Shin Established Member

Possible explanations for romag's diary being bugged for some people :

They are using old savefiles. They saved the game before the patch release. The bugged diary is written in the savefile. Then when the patched game reloads the old savefile, the bugged diary overlaps the corrected one.

I noticed similar effects in other domains. :)

My advice for bug hunters : Restart the game.

15. GFandango

GFandango Member

Didn't see this mentioned yet (I hope):

Whirlwind attack. This is listed as still being a standard action in the concise buglist. However, it works just fine for my half-orc fighter, post-patch (i.e. always as a full-round action).

Our Host!