Unfixed problems?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ausir, Nov 11, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

You can import a dismissed PC...if he is still in the initial character list, and he will also import as lvl1, starting over. At least, that's my experience. Let me know if your tests show differently :)

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Carpenter dialogue bug

Here's a bug that concerns Rik Linkin's dialogue:

Talk to Riks brother Marek and get the Carpenter's Dilemma quest. Then talk to Rik. He'll ask you "You talk to Jaroo about converting Marek yet?". If you then ask him "Why do I need to talk to Jaroo again?" he will reply "Jaroo is the keeper of the Old Faith in the Grove. Please convince him to convert Marek to the Old Faith so that he can marry Althea. I might just be able to build Filliken that barn you've been asking about if you arrange for Marek's conversion. "

Now the problem is, when I talked to Rik, I hadn't even heard about Filliken's barn thingie!

Well, so I went to Gwynneth's place and received the Cupid's Arrow quest, but when I talked to Rik again I didn't get a dialogue option which would have allowed me to tell him about the barn. Nevertheless, he still says: "I might just be able to build Filliken that barn you've been asking about ..."

The file 00008carpenter.dlg definitely needs a bit of work ...

If you receive the Carpenter's Dilemma quest and accept it before the Cupid's Arrow quest, the conversation will always jump to string 110 right away, which prevents you from even mentioning the barn. If you then ask about Jaroo, you'll get string 120, which assumes you've talked to Rik about the darn barn!!!

3. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

@Morpheus:
    Yes, it appears the devs overlooked that one and assumed you would have gotten Filliken's barn quest at that point.

The easy way out would be to cut out that sentence altogether.

I would however prefer that we insert an extra condition to go to line 110 only if Filliken's barn quest has been accepted. We'll also need to have another line with the Filliken's barn quest not being accepted and with the offending sentence removed.
    Does that sound Ok? It shouldn't be hard at all, but I'm a little busy at the moment. Perhaps you could give it a shot as well.

4. Morpheus

Well, I fixed the problem by slightly adapting the dialogue and inserting some additional lines. Shall I send you the modified file, zhuge? What's your mail addy again?

5. zhuge

Great, since the file is only about 15kb, just zip up 00008carpenter.dlg and post it as a message attachment in this thread. Then we'll all be able to have a look at it. :)

6. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

spike stone ctd

well, i made it thru 5 pages without seeing a reference to this bug before i gave up. so here 'tis:

Casting spike stone often causes a ctd on the enemies turn when they try to move thru it. sometimes get ctd with spike growth too, but not as often.

this bug was reported several times over at atari forum, and still is there (just confirmed) after all the latest patches.

does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the ctd?

cheers

p.s. in further testing, the crash is guaranteed to occur if u cast either spike spell BEFORE combat is initiated. it crashes far less often if you cast a spike spell AFTER combat is initiated.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2004
  7. zhuge

@sir_toejam:
    Regarding CTDs, I rather doubt if we can actually do something to improve the situation. You can always try but I'm not pinning any hopes on it. For me, I'm quite content if I can actually reproduce it (I have been having lots of problems trying to reproduce CTDs and spell permanency issues) and if it is 100% reproduceable, I think passing it over to Steve for correction is quite enough for me.

Exitium did some work on spell permanency in the past but it was claimed that the 1st official patch took care of spell permanency problems, so we retracted all modifications for spell permanency from Co8 mod pack 2.0 onwards to avoid compatibility problems. You can find the original old posts in the Negative Energy Plane forum:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=177
    and
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=244

I'm not sure if permanency has anything to do with CTDs. As for my part I've corrected some spell durations (mostly shortened them) to be true to 3.5e settings. Again I'm not sure if correcting spell duration will help with spell permanency.

8. Morpheus

Fixed 00008carpenter.dlg

Here ya go!

The conversation still jumps to 110 when you've acccepted the Carpenter's Dilemma quest, but now you can ask Rik about the barn, and only then does he mention Filliken's problem (120). If you haven't heard about the barn yet, Rik won't mention it either (240).

Attached Files:

9. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

kewl, gracias!

10. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

extend spell bug

extend spell does in fact, extend the total duration of the spell, but extended spells start with half the duration already gone! is this a spell fix or an exe fix ya think?

11. zhuge

@Morpheus:
    Gone through the modified file line by line and it looks good to me. I'll try to test it out sometime later but I believe it should work perfectly well. :thumbsup:
    Here are a few other reported dialogue problems which have not been fixed so far:

-Beat Tolub to the ground in the fight quest and robbed him. He did not recognize me as the winner and did not give the 100 gp. Next time I talk to him he gave me the option to fight him again which I did and beat him again. Still no title/recognition. this seems to be an intermittant bug.

-If you finish a subtemple leader's quests, but don't go to the Greater Temple right away, the game will assume that when you do get down there you are in the company of the first priest. This produces incoherent dialog. It's particularly bad if you do Belsornig's quests last, since he doesn't accompany you down to the Greater Temple himself.

It would be nice if you could have a look at the .dlg and .py files for the above bugs and see if there is anything which we could fix here.

@sir_toejam:
    Anything which involves tweaking how feats work is probably out of our league, which is also why we haven't fixed Power Attack yet. I couldn't even start to point you in the right direction with regards on how to approach this one.

I would suggest working on some of the individual spells which are still bugged and figure out if anything can be done by tweaking the .py scripts. Download some Python software to make things easier.

Below are a list of bugs which may be moddable (emphasis on may):

-grease: trips the untrippable, doesn't check free action or ring of free action, may have odd effects when cast over 2 rooms, affecting NPCs only

I was wondering whether we can add a check in the .py file to detect Monster Untrippable in protos.tab. We definitely have .py commands which check for saves (Will, Fort, Rflx). Not sure about the rest.

-greater invisibility: duration when casting from a wand lasts for 1 round. Bonus to attack effect stack

Haven't checked duration for this yet. If it's bugged I think it probably is correctable. Stacked AB effects are another matter though...

-magic circle Vs evil: No +2 AC bonus for those within its 10' radius and no +2 save bonuses for spell target and those within its 10' radius, against evil creatures. Intermittent invulnerability also reported from non-summoned creatures

I was wondering whether we could recode this as Protection From Evil which does give the bonuses and try to use code from area spells to extend this to more than one creature.

-mind fog: incorrectly rolling vs. fortitude. Saves not implemented (targets always get -10 will saves)

Appears to be an easy fix but I've tried and have yet to succeed. I have a sinking suspicion that that Fort save is hardcoded and not easily correctable to a proper Will save. Perhaps you will have better luck with it.

EDIT: Here's one more:
    -shocking grasp: damage deals d8/lvl up to 5d8 (should be d6/lvl up to 5D6)

The main routine appears to be hardcoded. But we could try inserting in the .py file:
    dice = dice_new( '1d6' )

or:
    damage_dice = dice_new( '1d6')

or:
    dam = dice_new( '1d6' )

It's more of a shot in the dark thing which I doubt will work, but we can try... and hope for the best...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  12. FabMax

FabMax Member

I don't usually post here, so I don't know if someone already noticed these bugs.

Craft Magic Arms and Armor:

Everytime one of my chars equips a custom crafted +2 weapon or armor, the bonus indicated in the char sheet is only +1. This has nothing to do with the DEX modifier in case of armor.
    It may be only a wrong indication. I don't know if it's buggy in game.

The second problem I have with creation is, that my cleric can't craft any aligned items (i.e. holy, axiomatic, etc.). The options do not appear on the list. Does this make sense?

NPC's:

Has anyone noticed that Spugnoir has all his crafting feats on level 2? They are usable, too.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  13. Pandaman

Pandaman Member

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned or not in another post, but I've searched this thread and didn't find anyone mentioning it, so here goes:

I just noticed that you get a -2 penalty to perform if you don't have a thieves' toolkit, which isn't supposed to happen in 3.0 and 3.5 rules.

Since this is my first post, I also want to say thank you to everyone who's contributed to the co8 patches; it's gone a long way to make ToEE enjoyable again. I'm rather glad I never tossed out the discs now ^_^;

14. Owlbear Companion

Owlbear Companion Member

Shield check penalties

From the manual, it would indicate that a masterwork shield should have an Armor Check Penalty of one less than normal. Shouldn't that make masterwork bucklers (or light shields) 0 Armor check penalty? The masterwork bucklers in game (patch 2, Co8 3 point something), bought from Hommlet smith or from Otis, who sometimes has them, show and act like a normal buckler (i.e., -1). Stays when crafted as well.

15. darkwraith007

darkwraith007 Member

Invisibility works for me

Hi

*background*

I'm playing the full retail version of ToEE, the 6-hour trial one from FilePlanet.
    In that version, I haven't noticed too many bugs, and CTD are VERY rare, like only ever happening once (wow, did I just say that?). I have a partition utility and a seperate data partition, which is how I'm able to essentially save before the trial runs out, restore my partition, and then re-install, replace my save stuff and continue playing where I left off, with 6 more hours.
    And no, I'm not gonna keep doing this for long. I'm bidding on the game off of eBay as we speak (original CD, NOT a copy). Thought at least even though Atari/Troika don't deserve any of my money for the crappy way they handled the patching of these bugs and not even helping the co8 ppl with an SDK or anything...how lame.

Really this trial is the only reason I'm getting it, cause I've waited this long cause of all the bugs and such.
    BTW thanks to whoever simplified that already massive two-page bug list on the Atari forums.

*end of boring stuff*

Ok, I have it installed, no official or co8 patches installed or anything, just a clean install of that trial version. I have a chaotic evil party and I have NPCs join me, then kill them all off and loot them. FUN! =D
    Anyways my female elven rogue has a ring of invisibility from that F-something guy in the inn (the thief who cheats).

She can use that ring of invisibility and it functions perfect every time, but with one thing. After attacking someone she becomes visible again, not sure if this is supposed to happen. I tested this with the Troll and Bear in emridy (sp?) meadows. Neither of them can see my rogue with the ring on, but as soon as she undoes the invisibility, they attack (or more specifically the Troll attacks and the bear goes hostile because of that). All NPCs (in Hommlet at least) and all enemies seem to react to the invisibility as if she isn't there. Exception with the guys in the st.cuthbert church who can see her and a few other NPCs I can't remember, but maybe its because they can see invis. Its not a big deal so don't worry bout fixing that.

So invisibility is in, and it works at least in that respect, in and out of combat, and not just on one map. Maybe find out how that ring works, and you can use that code to fix regular invis? Aside from the NPC thing it should be all good from there.

Sorry if I seem to be "trolling". I'll be sure to kill him when I'm done. Gotta love chaotic evil! *evil grin*
    Thank you and good day.
    DarkWraith007

Our Host!