Unfixed problems?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Ausir, Nov 11, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

All new bugs noted and updated to:
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=335222&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

GOOD NEWS!!! :)

Steve Moret has promised to do a second official patch during his free time on Christmas break. I have merged both concise and partial lists and posted it at the address above.

From now on all updates will be done at the address above for the convenience of the developers.

Please continue to post bugs, tests, confirmations and refutations.

Thanks.

2. Shin

Shin Established Member

No, no, he didn't promise anything... anything at all... Just don't be super disapointed if he doesn't make 2nd patch...

3. jshandorf

jshandorf Member

If you guys have an offline list of bugs you have been keeping track of I suggest you post it there ASAP.

As for promises, he says he will make a ptach, he just donesn't know if Atari will release it, which he doesn't know why they won't but you never know.

4. Bob the Elf

Bob the Elf Member

I'm not a big DnD guru nor do I have any handbooks so I have found something that might or might not be a bug. Some armor and shields give a positive armor check penalty that is, an armor check bonus, is that normal? I get that with some light armor/shields like the shields +2 you find that are already identified. Another bug is that if you dont have shield proficiency the description say you take the AC as a penalty, but the game simply apply the armor check penalty, which one is the correct way? Again, you get a bonus if your shield has a positive armor check penalty.

-edit-
    Forgot something, if you dismiss a creature you get no exp for it, is that normal? You can still dismiss any kind of creature, outsiders or otherwise.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2003
  5. RufusAtticus

RufusAtticus Member

News on the rope of entanglement:

I've been busy with research and haven't been able to play with it more. I'll try to do something this weekend.

1) Check out "hold monster" ( suggestions on times per day welcome)

2) Figure out a way to make it appear in the menu as not a wand. Perhaps a python script is needed.

6. zhuge

@Bob the Elf:
    Checked a few entries:
    {6019}{Chainmail armor} has Col81 (skill check penalty) as -5
    {6049}{Chainmail +1} has Col81 as -4
    {6094}{Chainmail +2} has Col81 as -4

Uhm... looks Ok to me.

However,
    {6225}{Masterwork chainmail armor} has Col81 still as -5 (should be -4 but I'm not sure if this item is in the game anyway so it might not make that much of a difference)

I believe the Co8 v2.0 patch may revert check penalties to pre official patch values which is incorrect. You should only refer to untouched ToEE4.dat files in this matter.

I strongly feel that you should get XP for dismissing creatures. Counts as a win and you should get XP just like if you had destroyed undead with Improved Turning. If you currently don't get XP, I guess it should be noted as a bug and corrected.

Thanks for confirming that it is possible to dismiss any kind of creature. I was shocked when I accidentally Dismissed Paida. This bug is already in the list.

@RufusAtticus:
    The 3.5e SRD doesn't seem to make any mention of how many times the Rope it can be used per day. Wonder if this defaults to 1/day? If you are interested in settling the issue, perhaps you could post over at the Wizards boards.
    They have a Dungeons and Dragons > Player's Handbook > Spells and Magic Items section:
    http://boards1.wizards.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=20

The people there are very much more knowledgable about game intricacies and are pretty helpful.

Haven't found any .py file for the Rope. Writing a new one and getting the engine to recognize it is beyond my abilities. I do feel that if you can manage that, it would be a BIG step forward.
    Otherwise Hold Monster sounds fine to me. However since Troika has promised a second patch, perhaps they can come up with a better solution for the Rope as well.

EDIT: The Chime of Opening currently does not function at all.

Quoting 3.5e SRD:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Chime of Opening: A chime of opening is a hollow mithral tube about 1 foot long. When struck, it sends forth magical vibrations that cause locks, lids, doors, valves, and portals to open. The device functions against normal bars, shackles, chains, bolts, and so on. A chime of opening also automatically dispels a hold portal spell or even an arcane lock cast by a wizard of lower than 15th level.
    The chime must be pointed at the item or gate to be loosed or opened (which must be visible and known to the user). The chime is then struck, a clear tone rings forth, and in 1 round the target lock is unlocked, the shackle is loosed, the secret door is opened, or the lid of the chest is lifted. Each sounding only opens one form of locking, so if a chest is chained, padlocked, locked, and arcane locked, it takes four uses of a chime of opening to get it open. A silence spell negates the power of the device. A brand-new chime can be used a total of ten times before it cracks and becomes useless.
    Moderate transmutation; CL 11th; Craft Wondrous Item, knock; Price 3,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Therefore I plan to implement it as a Knock spell item with 10 charges. Col59 is item charges and Col312 is spell

Proposed changes:
    Col50 from OIF_IS_MAGICAL to
    OIF_IS_MAGICAL
    OIF_EXPIRES_AFTER_USE
    OIF_NEEDS_SPELL
    Col59 from [blank] to 10
    Col168 from [blank] to UseableItem
    Col169 from [blank] to 0
    Col170 from [blank] to 10
    Col312 from [blank] to 'Knock' class_sorcerer 2

Not very sure if I've got the fields right. I'll get to testing it when I'm free. Corrections and comments are welcome.

7. Bob the Elf

Bob the Elf Member

I'm not sure why you went quoting the chainmails, I said I knew SHEILDS +2 gave a bonus :)

But the Co8 patch appears to be the problem as you pointed out, it's not just back to the prepatch numbers, it's completly different. I'm not sure if it's done by the rules since you havent answered my question about positive armor check penalty being normal...

8. zhuge

@Bob the Elf:
    Well you did mention armor and shields in your post... I just thought of checking some armors at random.
    Anyway, {6051}{Shield +2} has Col81 (skill check penalty) as -2

Well since regular large shields are considered to be at -2 skill check penalty and all magical armors are automatically masterwork for skill check penalty purposes, this value for a Shield +2 should be -1.
    I dunno. Maybe Troika overlooked this although they've claimed to have fixed all skill check penalties in the official patch.

rex_blade has already done corrections to this, but if you want to list down all incorrect armor/shield skill check penalties and attempt correction you are most highly welcome to do so. We really need better documentation on what was/will be changed.

Which shield or armor has a positive skill check penalty? AFAIK that wouldn't be right unless it is some sort of special armor with say special enhancements (for example: Silent Moves which gives a bonus for Move Silently checks or Slick which gives a bonus to Escape Artist checks).
    There's only 1 reference to Shield +2 and I have already discussed it above. If there are any other light armors/shields in doubt state them specifically and I'll recheck again.

9. Bob the Elf

Bob the Elf Member

hrm... Well my protos.tab list 6051 shield +2 as having skill check bonus 1. It's gonna be hard to test if you dont all work with the same data, I downloaded the Co8 patch recently so it should be good.

-edit-
    For future patch, something I'd like would be to have the files zipped without an exe as an alternate download. would be handy to people who keep modifying thier files and who dont want to override all their mod just to fix 1 file.

-edit2-
    I just downloaded the thing again and I think you should too, because my data is "correct" one. :) btw I used the zipped one just in case that would make a difference.

10. zhuge

Uhm, there is one. JHunz modified and zipped all the files for v2.0 before Exitium put an installer .exe for them:

http://www.co8.org/files/patch/ToEE_Circle_of_Eight_Release_200.rar

Still works too, I think.

Put modified files and original files in separate directories and put labels on them to ease tracking changes.
    Copy paste the ones you want to play test to Temple of Elemental Evil/data.

EDIT: Ok, I examined the protos.tab file from the v2.0 Co8 patch and in that file {6051}{Shield +2} does indeed have a skill check penalty of 1 as you have stated.
    I really don't think this is correct. The correct modifier should be -1. The current modifier for the protos.tab in ToEE4.dat (after official patch ONLY) is -2.

v2.0 does not include rex_blade's modifications to skill check penalties. We had hoped to amend this in the next patch update.

If you could browse through the armors and shields and state any other necessary corrections, it would be really nice.

11. Bob the Elf

Bob the Elf Member

Ok...

ID Skill check penalty

6051 1
    6052 2
    6053 3
    6054 4
    6075 1
    6091 1
    6095 2
    6135 3
    6220 1
    6221 1
    6222 1
    6231 1
    6232 1

Those are the positive armor check penalty but there are other values that are different from ToEE4 so I'd suggest that anyone modding the armor check penalty work from the ToEE4, but I guess it doesnt really matter if you check them all anyway. I cant really tell you if any other value is right or wrong due to my limited DnD knowledge.

P.S. thanks for the rar file, I always used the files on the news page and that one isnt there.

12. zhuge

Gosh, you're quite right, many errors... pretty embarrassing. Not sure if the original coders wanted it to be so (perhaps they did, but bear in mind that as freelance modders we are not 100% obliged to follow 3.5e strictly, though I would prefer if we did so, if changes are to be incorporated in any official patch versions) but the changes are not really correct.

I'm no DnD expert myself. I just refer to 3.5e SRD when I need to. You can download it for free here: http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd35

In the Equipment section of 3.5e, all armor check penalties for regular armor/shields are given:
    Padded 0
    Leather 0
    Studded Leather -1
    Chain Shirt -2

Hide -3
    Scale mail -4
    Chainmail -5
    Breastplate -4

Splint mail -7
    Banded mail -6
    Half plate -7
    Full plate -6

Buckler -1
    Small Shield -1
    Large Shield -2
    Tower Shield -10

In the MagicItems II section of 3.5e:
    All magic armor is also masterwork armor, reducing armor check penalties by 1.

I hope that makes things clearer. Troika's implementation is actually quite right in ToEE4.dat.
    However perhaps due to lack of time, or just lazy incomplete coding, they missed out quite a few items that have been mentioned above.

13. Bob the Elf

Bob the Elf Member

There was another question in my "original" post. Anyone know how non proficien shield weilder works? Do you take the AC as a penalty to hit like the description seem to point to or is it simply the armor check penalty that's applied to your to hit?

Nevermind, found it on the link provided by zhuge, it's working correctly.

14. zhuge

Regarding:
    {8015}{Potion of heroism}
    {8021}{Potion of super-heroism}

These are reported to be non-functional potions.

{8022}{Potion of eagle's splendor} doesn't seem to function either

In fact, I believe all potions with an (INTERNAL) label are problematic and need review.

Col312 for the above potions are:
    'Potion of heroism (INTERNAL)' domain_special 1
    'Potion of super-heroism (INTERNAL)' class_bard 5
    'Potion of charisma (INTERNAL)' domain_special 1

I propose changing these fields to:
    'Heroism' class_bard 2
    'Greater Heroism' class_sorceror 6
    'Eagles Splendor' class_bard 2

'Greater Heroism' class_sorceror 6 was taken from Col312 of {9665}{Scroll of heroism, greater}
    Hope it simulates super-heroism closely.

If Troika is unable or has no time to properly link the following .py files with the potions above:
    Spell709 - Potion of heroism.py
    Spell710 - Potion of super-heroism.py
    Spell705 - Potion of charisma.py

then we may have to resort to substituting almost similar spells for the time being. I wonder if there is any way we could link the .py scripts to the potions (or other items) ourselves. Would solve a number of problems if we could do that.

Note: The change from 'Potion of charisma (INTERNAL)' domain_special 1 to 'Eagles Splendor' class_bard 2 is ALREADY coded in v2.0 Co8 patch. However the other 2 potions are still not fixed.

15. RufusAtticus

RufusAtticus Member

My guess is that linking scripts to objects is done using some value in protos.tab or a mes file. Perhaps comparing broken potions to working ones we can discover where the difference lies.

Our Host!