Undo or re-install?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by syrinne, Jul 25, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. syrinne

syrinne Member

Hi! New member here. I got myself to co8 by searching for help re: TOEE, and from the posts I've seen, I think I'm in the right place.

Anyway, I made the colossal mistake of installing Official Patch #3. I did so because after installing Off Patch #2, the occasional crashes (not to desktop, but to a frozen screen that required I switch to Task Manager to kill the app) continued. So I (obliviously) figured, could it hurt to apply #3?

Now when I boot the app the screen goes black, as it usually does; after this, I'd expect to see the Atari screen. Instead, it now dumps me back to the desktop, very quickly, without any error message.

Question: Is there a way to undo Off Patch #3? Or should I be re-installing and applying the first two patches? I'm running Vista btw.

Further: The patch/mod here sounds great; from what I understand, I'd install that after Off Patch #2, correct?

Any info you can give is greatly appreciated. I did do a search for this info btw, and I apologize if I somehow missed something that was already posted about this.

Thanks!

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I believe you can just reinstall patch 2. Try this first.

The problem you are experiencing, however, may have another source.

Have you applied the no-cd crack? (may not be necessary)
    Have you installed the 5.5.0 beta mod with TFE-X?
    If so, have you turned off the intro movies, etc.... as allowed by the Front-End (TFE-X)?

3. syrinne

syrinne Member

Ah, thank you! I hadn't used any other patches/mods, so I re-installed #2 and the game now works. Then I went to DL the co8 mod, and lo and behold, the instructions include "don't use patch #3" and so on.

Thanks again!

4. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

For a 99% bug-free game (relative to the original game with the 2nd Atari patch), you should use the 5.5.0 mod and install it following its instructions verbatim. Read its documentation so you understand what it has and what is incomplete.

Make sure you install TFE-X, which is problem free provided that you install it as the instructions specify.

If you choose not to use the Co8 products then please, when requesting help, specify that you are not using them. Chances are whatever problems that you will have with the original Atari package have already been resolved with the Co8 mod. Thus, only the 5.5.0 mod is "officially" supported here.

I am sure I speak for everyone as we welcome you to the forum.

Our Host!