Unbalanced Party - - a k a Role-Playing

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dig314, Jan 25, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dig314

Dig314 Member

I was thinking of making a party of just MONKs!#% - - for the sake of role-playing. Would it be impossible to complete the ToEE ? I have read that even with the level capped removed, Monks never become as powerful as Fighters would.

Furthermore, I have read that without Crafting powerful weapons, some encounters will be very difficult.

Using Co8 4.0.0, I could have 7PCs with several being Monks I guess.

Dig

2. Blair

Blair Unwanted Construct

I've always been fond of monks myself, even back when they were "strange brew" in 1ed AD+D. (Might stem from years of martial arts as a kid, I suppose...) But while it might be interesting to do that, I don't suggest doing it in this game unless you want a huge challenge. When I DM and the group wants to create a freaky party without important elements like healing or attack magic or stealth, I just sigh and modify plots and encounters so that the players can still have fun. A computer game can't do that--so you'll find yourself dealing with swarms of monsters that destroy you through attrition when a single fireball could have dealt with them, or a HUGE monster whose damage reduction you can't penetrate at all. Not so enjoyable. On the other hand, if you've played through the game 22 times and think you're all that, hey, give it a go. I'm trying a party of 3 barbarian/rogues at the moment; I'm trying to replace the lack of magic with glaives, Combat Reflexes, and Great Cleave. Not to the temple itself yet, but it's working OK so far...

Blair
    "Excuse me sir. I mean, madam. I mean... RUN AWAY!!!"

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

What he said, and reduced lockpicking abilities etc too :(

4. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

I usually just have people that know nothing of the game pick characters. Man some of those characters have been bad...

P.s. Don't tell them about bards if you do this lol

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

hey bards arn't bad, it only took me about a year to ever use one tho

6. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

You can complete the game with a solo Thief, though you'll need to skip the nodes for the most part and take the non-combat ending. Multiple Monks will be tough, but not impossible.

I'd recruit at least Mel and Spug to get some crafted items.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Anyone ever try a party of all paladins? That should prove to be rather interesting.

8. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

Well don't mention bards and the whole multiclass thing...i have never been a fan of a multiclassed bard which is a problem since i usually say "up to 2 classes." Personally the best ever was half-orc wizard/sorcerer...maybe they do know the game and just like making tough charaters

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

mul-ti-cla-ss? what is this strange thing you speak of

Our Host!