Trying to Record a Let's Play - Failing miserably

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Failedlegend, Nov 2, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Hey guys I've been trying to record a let's play recently (just for my buddies nothing high quality just a bunch of inside jokes and whatnot) and its my first let's play so I don't know if trying to record Full Screen games just doesn't work, if im doing something wrong or if TOEE is just being cranky...I tired windowed mode but it makes scrolling a PITA and make it an 800x 600 box which makes it a pain to play....I like that full screen stays at 800x600 despite filling my 1680 x 1050 screen so its makes everything bigger.

Now I've browsed around tried various way to try to force it to resize (ie. D3Dwindower) and multiple recording programs (the trials at least) and they all end up doing relatively the same thing...either sticking the game into the top left corner where its just a black box or its goes full screen but is still just a black box.

Here's my original test with the program I've been using to record our DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) and Skype Call PnP sessions. Fell free to only watch for a bit to get the gist of the issue as its pretty much just me rambling I wasn't actually planning on posting it, originally was meant as a sound/video test and to see what my mic would pick up so i had the fan on, i was flicking cans, had my cats with,etc.

Note: This is the Good Old Games version FYI

[YOUTUBE]edEM2Q2lWiE[/YOUTUBE]

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hm, so it gets stuck in a windowed box and doesn't actually record the video? I see you clicking around on stuff, so I assume you can see it, it's just not being recorded or displayed in your recording. Anyway as far as software alternatives go, I'm not much into modern desktop recording but I assume FRAPS would still work.

As far as making the video display, you may want to disable intro videos. (You can do that in the front end.) ToEE has issues with scaling videos for some modern systems, and disabling videos just eliminates the need to do that. It could be that your display and/or recording software is sort of hanging up at that point. You also may want to try setting the scaling option in your video card properties to 'no/do not scale,' which makes it so that no resolutions need to change, which could also be hanging you up.

Otherwise I'm not really sure. I know that modern DVDs and Blu-Rays have some sort of built in copy protection that makes desktop recording like that fail. Try taking a screen capture when a DVD is playing and you'll most likely find that all that was captured was a blank screen ... something to do with 'layers' or whatever. That almost looks like what's happening there but I really doubt that sort of thing is going on with ToEE, circa 2003. ;)

3. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Disabling the intor doesn't work, same symtoms actually it make the game freeze a bunch unless I didn't use 800 x 600 aspect ratio, FRAPS works, although the music and any sounds are very distorted and it only records in 30 second intervals making it useless, un less I buy it which honestly for something I'm probably only going to do once and just for a few jokes until I get bored of it, not worth actually spending money on it...also I'm broke and I don't feel like waiting another week to play TOEE, besides if I'm going to spend money I'll just buy a capture card instead

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well all I can tell you otherwise is that it can work, since many other Let's Play videos have been done on ToEE over the years.

Good luck if you persist with it. :thumbsup:

5. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Yeah I've watched a few, its why I purchased the game lol...maybe I should ask them how they did it :D

It's weird though it works fine for PST, NWN, IWD 1/2 and Fallout Tactics all GoG versions...they still show up in the corner but like the logos in the beginning of the above vid it shows normally and continues to do so through play (although in IWD1 the characters occasionally blink)

Nonetheless thanks for the suggestions :D

I'll probably just do IWD1 instead for the recording and just play TOEE, No I just have to figure how to distill my group of friends down to 6 Characters instead of 8...which already had characters based on more than one person :p

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

YAY Project Eternity!!!

At least your video promotes PE. ;)

7. Failedlegend

Failedlegend Member

Well Baldur's Gate enhanced got me playing IWD2 (figured it was the newest one may as well) and Project Eternity convinced me to play TOEE (honestly never heard of it before) I picked up Fallout Tactics and Icewind Dale along with it....oh and the Might and Magic games you see as well...except their not what I was expecting and kinda suck...their probably great games just not my style. PS:T, NWN and Legend of Grimrock (which I was I though M&M would be like) were purchased back in May.

Despite the issues with the lets play TOEE is actually pretty cool I love that its more like an SRPG style of turn-based as opposed to pause play, much smoother and kind of disappointed PE is going with the latter but if the options are flexible enough it won't matter as much. The character creation is a bit clunky though.

Our Host!